Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is to blame for this horrendous PR gaff ?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
"Gus was well aware, before he appeared on the BBC, that his dismissal was pending".

I am "well aware" that there are people on here who accept everything the club says without question.

Perhaps they thought he was "well aware". Even so, he may say something different.

Why did the club not ensure Gus had the official confirmation first before telling the whole world and his dog?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I am "well aware" that there are people on here who accept everything the club says without question.

Perhaps they thought he was "well aware". Even so, he may say something different.

Why did the club not ensure Gus had the official confirmation first before telling the whole world and his dog?
the sacking statement could have been timed for 12noon or 12 midnight it was done at this time solely to embarrass Gus and the whole messy thing has somewhat backfired
sorry I have no trust in any of them any longer

this could have been handled in a better way

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
the sacking statement could have been timed for 12noon or 12 midnight it was done at this time solely to embarrass Gus and the whole messy thing has somewhat backfired

How would you know, I thought you were a mushroom :wink:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

why are you accepting that they did not? for me the timing was because they believed he was going to say it himself, its just before the programme starts, probably of the back of a call to confirm the story before they raised it with him on air. or not, just an alternative other than "the club deliberatly tried to... " what ever it is that would gain from release then (which i cant see they could).

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
why are you accepting that they did not? for me the timing was because they believed he was going to say it himself, its just before the programme starts, probably of the back of a call to confirm the story before they raised it with him on air. or not, just an alternative other than "the club deliberatly tried to... " what ever it is that would gain from release then (which i cant see they could).

can you imagine the fun the NSC handwringers would have had if Gus had announced it and not the club!!

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Who cares,

Everyone wants him sacked, now timing is out of order ( so what )

He really upset people at Brighton, never seen a manager so disrespectful to his club!!

3 1/2 years and now I'm to good for Brighton and I'm the best :tosser:

I hate to tel you al "I Told You This Would Hapen", but..

Just after the 3-0 win overr Palace I posted here about how lucky you were stil to be able to invite Alan Mullery back as an honoured guest to the ground with no "afters" whereas as far as Palace are concerned - I hope - "El Tel" is still a dirty word for the way Venable walked out of the club in 1980 and then AGAIN in 1997. I did expres my concern that "The Gusset" in my mind was displaying alarming similarities in his personality to Venables and that you might rue the day you had to part.

Now it's all happening as I predicted. The problem is that Poyet and his management team over 3.5 years did a lot of good for the club in PR terms, far more than Venables ever did. He has made a lot of friends in the BN area and elsewhere in the football game. I wonder for instance how much Lineker knows about the effect Barber had on events at Spurs. ...people may change their clubshirts but not their personalities, Barber at Totenham was like Barber at BHA I suspect.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I wouldn't be absolutely certain just yet that Poyet will go through with the appeal. His initial reaction is that he feels that the charges that have been brought against him are unjust and that these are harmful to his future career prospects. However, I think he will sit down and discuss the situation with his lawyers before confirming his appeal. Among the factors that will determine the decision will be his likelihood of winning the appeal, the likely timescale and of course the cost to him.

It could be a bit like the time when Margaret Thatcher was challenged as leader of the Conservative Party. Initially, she was adamant about putting her name forward for the second ballot, but after her advisors had time to speak with her in private and tell her she didn't have much chance of winning, she saved face and announced her resignation before the vote went against her. If Poyet's lawyers/advisors say to him that he has little chance of success in his appeal then he might not go through with it. If his people and most important he feels that he has a prima-facie case for appealing then he is more likely to pursue it, but he has to consider whether doing so and losing would be majorly damaging for his future job prospects. He might find that his best hope of landing his next job is to manage in another country.

Blimey, Brighton's new manager being the son of a Garden Gnome maker...Oy Vey.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
can you imagine the fun the NSC handwringers would have had if Gus had announced it and not the club!!

They would have have called it a PR disaster had the club not got it out first, just like they're calling it a PR disaster that the club got it out first.......:ffsparr:

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
In guessing its a bloom/barber combination

braveheart

Jul 26, 2004
Always interesting how people interpret the same set of events differently. I'm in the PR disaster camp and if it doesn't matter, why do we spend good money on it? We've been spoken of as a "well run club that does things properly". Today's press headlines suggest otherwise, also not sure what potential players and Agents will make of this?

i'm still at a loss as to why anyone would be worried if Gus had mentioned last night that he had been sacked and was going to appeal. The club could have responded;

" Today, we have written to Mr Poyet and his lawyers with our decision and reasons. In order to allow Mr Poyet time to digest our findings it was felt the most honourable approach to take was to wait until Monday morning before confirming via a statement that he has been dismissed. However Mr Poyet has placed it in the public domain and so we can confirm it to be correct. We will not make any further comment until Mr Poyet's appeal has been heard, as per our proceedures".

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think you owe Tony Bloom, Barber and the club a massive apology.
Gus clearly knew he was to be dismissed and was trying to court sympathy by lying on Match of the Day that he wasnt aware of it.
The club 's most recent statement proves this.
Gus has IMHO scored a massive own goal and this will surely have a bearing in his case for unfair dismissal.

Except for the fact that I am stood here on the concourse at London Bridge station looking up at a giant screen with Sky News on it that reads "Gus Poyet sacked live on BBC" with a picture of a shocked looking Gus.

Doubt that will be changed by the rush hour, nor will any corrections make screen tomorrow.

Ah well. Learn and move on.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Except for the fact that I am stood here on the concourse at London Bridge station looking up at a giant screen with Sky News on it that reads "Gus Poyet sacked live on BBC" with a picture of a shocked looking Gus.

Doubt that will be changed by the rush hour, nor will any corrections make screen tomorrow.

Really? take a snap and post it as I have watched that interview a few times now and would not describe any of Poyet's facial expressions as ''shocked''.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Really? take a snap and post it as I have watched that interview a few times now and would not describe any of Poyet's facial expressions as ''shocked''.

1043948_546423408748660_656519891_n.png

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

And that's a worry why and will impact the club how?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Thank God you posted this. I now realise that the Americans didn't really land on the moon.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Did he do this? ..........No? ................Then he wasn't shocked :lol:

shocked.gif

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
And that's a worry why and will impact the club how?

Because the message we're left with is that the people running BHA aren't to be trusted, after all, look what they did to poor Gus Poyet.

I really didn't think I'd have to explain that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here