Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is to blame for this horrendous PR gaff ?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
thing your wasting your time ..certain peeps are set on poyet is wrong no matter what and the club always right...the very thing they blame the poyet 'lovers' of

There you have it then,....opinions, some of them different from others, what a terrible way to conduct a discussion, shame on NSC.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I'm also totally baffled as to why they didn't do it today. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

Either a massive cock up or totally intentional.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Good PR would have been to
first - inform Gus and lawyers (at least six hours earlier than he went on TV)

How do you know they didn't?

Gus' problem is that he is makes Brett Mendoza look like a shrinking media violet. He loves being in front of the camera and can't help but shoot his mouth off. I don't think he thinks he is lying - I think he thinks he is being clever. "He wasn't told" (because his lawyers were, not him) "didn't get am email or text" (but may have had something else or as I said, the lawyers did). His weasel word comment at around midnight where he says he hasn't had time to read everything Brighton sent to him/his lawyers is as close to an admission that he did in fact know as we are going to get. Read what he said - it's a complete contortion deliberately designed to say nothing whilst allowing him to later claim he has corrected any misunderstanding about his earlier comments. Such a shame - Gus will never be a great manager (he's a good one) because he believes his own hype.

I'm pleased he's now gone and this saga can be wound up. There's no PR DISASTER here, just a bit of chip paper.

"After the game, the 45-year-old added: "I got an e-mail that I suppose is information at 9:03 and another one from my solicitors; they are now taking care of everything, so I still haven't had a chance to read everything. I can't go into details of the future. It's just a matter of being calm and make sure you make the right decision."

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Please can someone explain to me as I am not getting it. Why was the decision and press release not made today instead of releasing it around 8 pm yesterday knowing Poyet was live on air within minutes ? It allowed him to do what he did and spin it in anyway he wanted with no right of reply from the club ? Please explain why it was released yesterday, why the need when releasing it today would have avoided all the bad pr ? Thanks.

I'm guessing that the club knew the BBC would ask him about the latest with the suspension, and it was probably better they got in first by announcing it through a statement rather than Gus saying he'd heard from his lawyers today that'd he'd been sacked.

However, to do it so close to when he was appearing on telly on a Sunday night suggests someone possibly forgot that he was making that appearance, and suddenly had to rush it out then. Which was never going to make the club look good at all, and gave Gus the chance to play up the sympathy card.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There you have it then,....opinions, some of them different from others, what a terrible way to conduct a discussion, shame on NSC.

perhaps if u had posted all the relevant posts that mine referred to it would make more sense...so you decide to be selective and ridicule mine instead ..classy

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
God there are some innocent naive people on here. Poyet could have kept a low profile whilst this was all going on, did he? No he chose at the height of this saga to appear on live TV a number of times to maximise his exposure and give himself a platform on the only current live football being shown on TV. You can rest assured if this had been during the season he and his agent and team would have been pimping him out to Sky, the new BT sports channel and Match of the Day to achieve the same thing, anyone who can't see this is a fool. He knew exactly what was going on and exactly what he was doing, the fact that some of you suckers have fallen for it proves it.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
How do you know they didn't?

Gus' problem is that he is makes Brett Mendoza look like a shrinking media violet. He loves being in front of the camera and can't help but shoot his mouth off. I don't think he thinks he is lying - I think he thinks he is being clever. "He wasn't told" (because his lawyers were, not him) "didn't get am email or text" (but may have had something else or as I said, the lawyers did). His weasel word comment at around midnight where he says he hasn't had time to read everything Brighton sent to him/his lawyers is as close to an admission that he did in fact know as we are going to get. Read what he said - it's a complete contortion deliberately designed to say nothing whilst allowing him to later claim he has corrected any misunderstanding about his earlier comments. Such a shame - Gus will never be a great manager (he's a good one) because he believes his own hype.

I'm pleased he's now gone and this saga can be wound up. There's no PR DISASTER here, just a bit of chip paper.

"After the game, the 45-year-old added: "I got an e-mail that I suppose is information at 9:03 and another one from my solicitors; they are now taking care of everything, so I still haven't had a chance to read everything. I can't go into details of the future. It's just a matter of being calm and make sure you make the right decision."

Good post. But I do still think the club should have released the statement this morning just so he didn't get a chance to run his mouth live, to the nation.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A small tight circle who live their lives as in a film? or do they refuse to join in your fantasy world?

Don't see the need to be slinging out stuff like this when I have made no address or insult to you and am discussing goings on at BHAFC, still carry on if you feel like it as it says more about you than me.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Why it was not done TODAY ! LOL. The whole thing is going round and round in circles. It is a split and fans divided. I think the best think is to take some time out from this farce. It will all becoming clear over the next few weeks I guess and then when we actually all know the true facts we can bounce threads and score points against each other can't we.

"Take time out"?

"when we actually all know the true facts"?

What sort of NSCer are you?

Ban him!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
God there are some innocent naive people on here. Poyet could have kept a low profile whilst this was all going on, did he? No he chose at the height of this saga to appear on live TV a number of times to maximise his exposure and give himself a platform on the only current live football being shown on TV. You can rest assured if this had been during the season he and his agent and team would have been pimping him out to Sky, the new BT sports channel and Match of the Day to achieve the same thing, anyone who can't see this is a fool. He knew exactly what was going on and exactly what he was doing, the fact that some of you suckers have fallen for it proves it.

Equally why should he of turned down a pundit job....it may have been agreed long before this saga ...and referring to that last comment it proves nothing but what side of the fence you are on

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Having shown my missus the picture of Gus, with a face like a smacked arse, that appeared on the back of the Sun this morning under the title Poyet sacked live on the BBC....her reaction was to laugh.

I thought it was quite funny too. Are we bad people?

:shrug:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Having shown my missus the picture of Gus, with a face like a smacked arse, that appeared on the back of the Sun this morning under the title Poyet sacked live on the BBC....her reaction was to laugh.

lol no...probably the best thing to do now is to have a good laugh

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)

Psst..............never admit you buy the sun on NSC!......don't tell anyone I told you ssshhhhh :lol: :lol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I believe this is close to the truth.

You really don't have a very high opinion of some aspects of the way the club is being run do you? I dare say you have more knowledge about it than 99% of us too though, so I do find your posts interesting :wink:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
If the club can prove that he knew prior appearing on the BBC, then it will not look good for Gus.

If they can, then why haven't they? They refuted the LMA's claims last week by releasing a statement, yet are silent (so far) on this issue. Why don't they release a statement saying "We can confirm that Gus Poyet was informed of the decision earlier in the day". The silence is deafening.

My gut feeling is that the truth lies somewhere in between. Both parties had been talking during the day. The club probably informed Poyet's lawyers after he was in the TV studio and his phone was off. He may well have known it was coming, but I firmly believe the first he knew of the statement was when he was handed it by the BBC.

Why the club timed it for then is anyone's guess. But it sure ain't made them look good.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Equally why should he of turned down a pundit job....it may have been agreed long before this saga ...and referring to that last comment it proves nothing but what side of the fence you are on

A pundit job for a competition no one gives a toss about on a channel not many people watch but crucially the only live Football being shown at the right time for team Gus. The BBC were the rod, Gus was the line and the club were the bait - you my friend were the hook that was reeled in.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

He was booked on it ages ago, before his suspension began, so why shouldn't he do it? He's maintaining his innocence so why should he choose to hide away?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here