Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is to blame for this horrendous PR gaff ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes, he should have kept his mouth shut, but was what he said that night alone enough to breach his contract and deserve the sack?

As for tonight, there is no way Gus has made a tit of himself. In fact, since the suspension was announced, he has played the perfect game. This isn't Gus 1-0 Albion, it's more like Gus 5-0 Albion. He is putting in an exemplary performance and with every statement the club releases his image to the wider media and footballing public just gets better and better.

Certainly can't agree with that.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
He had the statement in front of him why did he let Gus say the BBC had told him when the statement said something else

All I can think is that it would probably have been pretty awkward if he pointed this glaring contradiction out to him on live television.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I have always found it hard to believe that Poyet would be suspended for simply repeating - albeit in an incredibly crass, untimely and insensitive way post-Palace - comments about budgets he has been making for two years on and off. it was just more of the same, even if it was bollocks as our budget was bigger than Palace's.

Personally I always thought there may have been something else to come up with alleged breaches of contract. Hopefully we will find out before, during or after the appeal..

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They are both virtually identical - neither are that bad. He just publicly challenges the board for a bigger budget, which I suspect is the origin of this whole mess.

Maybe maybe not but why does or did he need more money? Secondly he should negotiate such things in private but not Gus. Thirdly ffp simple.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What do you think Gus has done at any point since May 13th to weaken his reputation?

Nothing but neither has the club. They suspended him and carried out an investigation, finally resulting in todays announcement. So how that's 5 0 to Gus in beyond me.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What do you think Gus has done at any point since May 13th to weaken his reputation?

Should have added if and I mean if he knew he had been sacked prior to his tv performance and the club prove that then as I pit he may have made a tit of himself

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Agree with this, which is why I want the Albion to make a statement tomorrow. They will EASILY be able to prove they emailed/text/called him to tell him before he went on TV, as it'll all be in their phone/computer records. If they did, and I really hope they did, then they should make this fact public so the kicking they are getting in some quarters tonight stops.

Poyet has now confirmed the club has communicated ten hours before:

"I got an e-mail that I suppose is information at 9:03 and another one from my solicitors; they are now taking care of everything, so I still haven't had a chance to read everything. I can't go into details of the future. It's just a matter of being calm and make sure you make the right decision."

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not sure I agree with that. I don't think the club looked great by releasing a statement about him failing to show up for a hearing, only for the LMA to later say he had only been given 500 pages of evidence 48 hours earlier. Nor do I think they looked particularly wonderful when threatening the LMA in their subsequent statement. Thirdly, whatever way you look at it, confirming his sacking while he was on TV was arguably another questionable move.

Thought the investigation report was issued to his people on the 13th June! As for 500 pages, a lot of that would have been appendices such as his contract which is not likely to be a short document.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
The club (staff, players, etc) return to working Monday morning. What's worse? Announce the news over the weekend or allow Gus to turn up on Monday morning and humiliate him at the gate or the car parkby not letting him in (possibly in front of photographers).

I would assume that the decision was made fri or sat and until sun eve there have been frantic emails calls as Gus effective starts his legal challenge. The club have to release a statement so sun eve is the only window left.

Gus appears on TV at HT saying he hasn't been told (that will have a lot to do with the beeb insisting his phone is switched off in the studio and so he is technically right to say he didn't know until some production bob tells him.

His lawyers obviously did know but if he's locked in a soundproof box with no phone how does anyone tell him.

In all honesty, I think the club have left him with more dignity by telling him tonight than refusing entry on Monday morning, especially if Oscar (or whoever) is shaking the hands I the returning players in front of him!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The club (staff, players, etc) return to working Monday morning. What's worse? Announce the news over the weekend or allow Gus to turn up on Monday morning and humiliate him at the gate tithe car parkby not letting him in (possibly in front of photographers).

I would assume that there decision was made fri or sat and until sun eve there have been frantic emails calls as Gus effective starts his legal challenge. The club have to release a statement so sun eve is the only window left.

Gus appears on TV at HT saying he hasn't been told (that will have a lot to do with the beeb insisting his phone is switched off in the studio and so he is technically right to say he didn't know until some production bob tells him.

His lawyers obviously did know but if he's locked in a soundproof box with no phone how does anyone tell him.

In all honesty, I think the club have left him with more dignity by telling him on Friday night than refusing entry on Monday morning, especially if Oscar (or whoever) is shaking the hands I the returning players in front of him!

Where did you get this 'locked in a soundproof box' from? Maybe when on air but there are plenty of moments before hand. Also, have you not heard of silent mode? If you knew your lawyers were involved in communications with your boss' lawyers about your job and a potential big pay-off, you would have your phone on. Also, the way you right suggests it is fact whereas it is merely pure speculation. Laughable!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Ridiculous blind loyalty. We know 0.1% of it.

I suspect we know a bit more than that, but you are right.

Increasingly the lack of any knowledge of the precise nature of the alleged breaches undermines any sensible discussion on the subject.

People are guessing and speculating. Some of those may well be right, of course. And we can draw on what we do know for sure, actions and words uttered.

But the key bit of the jigsaw is missing.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
This story will soon disappear off the radar; we will appoint a new manager and life will go on. I think the degree to which the club has been ’embarrassed’ has been greatly exaggerated by some posters, but I don’t think Gus has done himself any favors CV wise

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
This story will soon disappear off the radar; we will appoint a new manager and life will go on. I think the degree to which the club has been ’embarrassed’ has been greatly exaggerated by some posters, but I don’t think Gus has done himself any favors CV wise

You will never get that job working for a red top with views like that. Far too sensible for NSC tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here