Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who is the best exponent of the ‘dark arts’ at the Albion?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The Best Song You Have Heard Today thread has a Morrissey track with some very appropriate lyrics for Mr V:

I never wanted to kill, I am not naturally evil, these things I do, just to make myself more attractive to You

Last edited:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Another vote for Veltman, but keep an eye on his fellow Dutchman, Jan Paul van Hecke.

He gets his kicks in early, avoids a yellow, and then behaves himself and stays on the pitch.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Players past - an honorary vote for Adam El Abd.

He morphed from the young player with red mist who fell for it, to an exponent of the dark arts, wind ups and gaining every possible advantage. Exemplified by getting Rickie Lambert sent off at the Amex.
He was developing his shithousery well at Withdean. We played Portsmouth there in the cup, and he absolutely destroyed the mentality of Dave Kitson from the word go. Kitson was sent off after quarter of an hour. We won 3-1.

Now? Veltman, obviously.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A vote for the future. I think Enciso has a lot of potential.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I have been quite impressed by Casper Nilsson playing in the U21s. Has a nonchalant laid back style, but things just seem to happen around him, especially if the opposition start gettting a bit fiesty. One to watch, I think. Playing at right back, not much seems to go past him, however going forward he could be a bit more positive and adventurous with the ball, if he wants to be able to display his dark arts at the next level.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Currently Veltman, without doubt. Naylor is a clueless chump.

Murray was good, but Adam El Abd was the GOAT.
Adam was, until Joel.
Adam's shithousery was hilarious & often effective. Veltman's is world class. He almost always gets away with it, jogging off with halo intact. His card count for such an effective defender at this level is ridiculous

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Dutch Master Joel Veltman.

Winds up opposition players, despite on paper, their superior pace. Expertly obstructing, yet winning free-kicks. Not averse to subtly leaving his foot in. A constant nuisance when we’re defending set pieces.
All of that, but he's also oh so adept at shaking the hand of the player he's just done it to and/or helping him back to their feet (no doubt delivered with the odd word of advice).

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Lazy journalism.

Presumably Maupay demonstrates his dark arts during training, or in front of his bedroom mirror, given that he's barely been anywhere near the ball (or the pitch) this season.

From our past....Anyone remember Sidwell leaving something on a player off the ball at the Amex a few years ago? It was a player (possibly for Middlesbrough) who had injured one of ours a year earlier. I forget the name of the protagonists. But I enjoyed the episode, wondering at the time how so many people missed it, given that it was almost scripted.

Another piece of darkness I saw that most missed was Jimmy Case in the 90s playing a long ball and as everyone watched its flight, Case continued his motion, laying a boot into an opponent who had been just behind him. Would have been a straight red had it been seen.
There was a player who crocked Rosenior's knee early in the season with an awful tackle that put him out for several months. The next time we played them Brighton players fouled him in rotation for the whole match.
Edit: It was against Birmingham and he missed 30 matches.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Lazy journalism.

Presumably Maupay demonstrates his dark arts during training, or in front of his bedroom mirror, given that he's barely been anywhere near the ball (or the pitch) this season.

From our past....Anyone remember Sidwell leaving something on a player off the ball at the Amex a few years ago? It was a player (possibly for Middlesbrough) who had injured one of ours a year earlier. I forget the name of the protagonists. But I enjoyed the episode, wondering at the time how so many people missed it, given that it was almost scripted.

Another piece of darkness I saw that most missed was Jimmy Case in the 90s playing a long ball and as everyone watched its flight, Case continued his motion, laying a boot into an opponent who had been just behind him. Would have been a straight red had it been seen.
Yann Kermogant IIRC

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I'm reluctant to disagree with you on anything to do with the Albion, especially after the reaction after the Fulham game, but is this the same Veltman who told the ref he hadn't been tripped by Robinson in the area? If he's so practised in the dark arts, why did he not make more of a meal of it?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
All of that, but he's also oh so adept at shaking the hand of the player he's just done it to and/or helping him back to their feet (no doubt delivered with the odd word of advice).
And his handshake is probably one of those deceptive vice-like grips that look like nothing, but leave the opponent's hand crushed and in pain for ages.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I'm reluctant to disagree with you on anything to do with the Albion, especially after the reaction after the Fulham game, but is this the same Veltman who told the ref he hadn't been tripped by Robinson in the area? If he's so practised in the dark arts, why did he not make more of a meal of it?
Ah - but you see that's all part of it. He knew it wouldn't be given when VAR had a look - so he tells the ref he hadn't been tripped, get's into the ref's very best of good books. Then when he 'clashes accidentally' with an opponent later and leaves him writhing, ref thinks 'but he's an honest player and nice guy, he can't have fouled him - must have just been a coming together'. And he doesn't even get a word let alone the yellow card he probably deserved.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ah - but you see that's all part of it. He knew it wouldn't be given when VAR had a look - so he tells the ref he hadn't been tripped, get's into the ref's very best of good books. Then when he 'clashes accidentally' with an opponent later and leaves him writhing, ref thinks 'but he's an honest player and nice guy, he can't have fouled him - must have just been a coming together'. And he doesn't even get a word let alone the yellow card he probably deserved.
This is precisely it. When asked what he's best quality is as a player, JV's response was 'I'm smart'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here