Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who is the best exponent of the ‘dark arts’ at the Albion?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Definitely Veltman. I think what helps him is that he goes about his job so effortlessly and without any fuss and rarely, if ever, complains about anything to oppo players or the ref. Therefore always gets the benefit of the doubt from refs.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Shamelessly stealing this from The Athletic where Andy Naylor nominated Alexis Mac Allister.

Maybe he is, but I need to be convinced as Andy's reasoning doesn't really do it for me as it focuses on Mac Allister's propensity for picking up yellow cards despite being a smiley happy chappy.

For me, a master of the dark arts of football gets away with stuff more often than not, and doesn't just go around fouling and picking up yellows.

So, tell me - who is your Albion master of the dark arts?
Veltman

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
A rare NSC thread where the vast majority agree. Got to be Veltman all the way but happy for the article to say what it says if it keeps Joel out of the limelight

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
The Dutch Master Joel Veltman.

Winds up opposition players, despite on paper, their superior pace. Expertly obstructing, yet winning free-kicks. Not averse to subtly leaving his foot in. A constant nuisance when we’re defending set pieces.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Quickly scanning through the article, Ben White gets the nomination at Arsenal which surprises me slightly, whilst Neal Maupay getting the nod at Everton is less of a shock.
Lazy journalism.

Presumably Maupay demonstrates his dark arts during training, or in front of his bedroom mirror, given that he's barely been anywhere near the ball (or the pitch) this season.

From our past....Anyone remember Sidwell leaving something on a player off the ball at the Amex a few years ago? It was a player (possibly for Middlesbrough) who had injured one of ours a year earlier. I forget the name of the protagonists. But I enjoyed the episode, wondering at the time how so many people missed it, given that it was almost scripted.

Another piece of darkness I saw that most missed was Jimmy Case in the 90s playing a long ball and as everyone watched its flight, Case continued his motion, laying a boot into an opponent who had been just behind him. Would have been a straight red had it been seen.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Hats off to Bozza - fabulous follow-up to the earlier thread about 'stop arguing with everyone, grow up and play nice' thread (which I completely support).
Something that we pretty much can all agree on - nice to see.
I am looking out for the 'who do you think will finish higher up the league - us or Palace', and 'would you like a heated seat at the Amex during the colder months' threads (although I suppose that might start a binfest between those who sit and those who stand throughout the match) :oops:
Top work - more of this please.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here