Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is the best current British sports star?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
..........its having the talent to be able to actually lay a glove on another talented boxer.

Anyone can hit someone but could you lay a glove on the Cobra? My money says no you cant.

I am sure someone who is either bigger, or has longer arms, can hit this Cobra bloke.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am sure someone who is either bigger, or has longer arms, can hit this Cobra bloke.
Or if they go all martial arts in the ring, bow first, then kick him in the head.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Or if they go all martial arts in the ring, bow first, then kick him in the head.

He's lost two fights so someone has "laid a glove" on him.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
On a sub-topic, What would people say is the most COMPLETE sport to compete at. By that, I mean what sport encompasses the most sporting ability to be good at it? Again, it's obviously down to how you perceive things, but watching the tennis I can't see much beyond it. It seems to tick all the boxes.

Individual talent winning through.
The player requires: speed, power, technique, precision, quick decision making, mental bottle, stamina, the ability to switch tactics.
It's also a sport in which every player can express their own style which is great to watch. A massive guy can be destroyed by a NIPPER and vice versa.
I would love to be proved wrong, but I can't see many more sports in which all the key sporting aspects are ticked so clearly.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Not without any boxing talent they wouldn't.

Unless he wasn't looking of course, or someone sneaked up on him while he was asleep.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I could win the tour on a motorbike.
(whispering) Bladders I think you've misplaced your sense of humour.
Have you looked between the cushions on the sofa?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes two other very talented boxers, which you've just backed up my previous point nicely. :clap2:

I'm still not convinced of the amount of talent needed to smash someone in the face though.

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
Andy Murray, as I have Scottish blood too it makes my decision even more easy.

He is in his peak so over the next 3 years or so expect to see 2 or 3 grand slams from him, maybe even more.

He's worked hard and is the 2nd best tennis player in the world currently which in its self is a remarkable achievement. Also up until last year he was playing along side 2 of the best players ever to have graced the game in Federer and Nadal, which is why he hasn't hasn't had the amount of success he's deserved really.

Hoping he finally wins Wimbeldon this year but to get past Djokovic will be a huge task.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It's a fractured pelvis isn't it? You'd be lucky to walk properly again with a broken pelvis. Even so it's a superhuman feat of endurance.

I genuinely still can't believe there are Murray bashers out there. He is one of the most dedicated sports people this country has ever produced, everything for him has been about improving and challenging the best which he now does on a regular basis. In any other era he would already have already won multiple grand slam titles. As it is his Olympic Gold medal & US Open title at least mean he has to be part of this conversation given the fact that he has exisited in an era when 3 of the best 10 tennis players of ALL TIME have been in their pomp.

Phil Taylor has to be a decent shout though, surely.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I could win the tour on a motorbike.

(whispering) Bladders I think you've misplaced your sense of humour.
Have you looked between the cushions on the sofa?

..............dressed as Leatherman from the Village People.
ymca.gif

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
This. Same goes for snooker and bowling participants.

But others on here were saying cycling/swimming/running is easy as there is no skill involved.

Snooker & Darts surely require the most skill of any sport? Getting 3 darts into a treble 20 consistently is bordering on genius, and the angles that snooker players have to work out to pot the ball and leave the white in the ideal spot to pot the next one takes great skill.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Throwing is one of the basic skills of mankind. We wouldn't have survived if we hadn't learned how to throw spears. They did it under much more difficult circumstances as well.

Most of us don't lead a charmed existence of spending all day in the pub practicing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here