Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is the best current British sports star?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I base it more on the last 5 years, in which he's done nothing of note in the sport compared to Nadal, Djokovic, Federrer and even Del Potro who dispatched 2 of those to win the US Open in '09. Murray isn't at the pinnacle of his sport unlike scores of others in this country so therefore he does not even come close to being our best sportsman. It's really that simple.

Not winning as many Slams as arguably 3 of the greatest male tennis players that have ever lived when they were in their peak years hardly seems like a hanging offence.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In terms of cricket, England have a bowler who is the first Englishman to take 300 test wickets in nearly 30 years, an opening batsman who has scored as many test centuries as Geoff Boycott managed at the tender age of 27 and one of the most flamboyant middle order batsmen in the world who is a proven match-winner, so there are certainly respectable choices there.
Absolutely.
But that won't hold much water in this discussion in the unlikely event of us getting tonked 5-0, this summer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whilst I don't fully understand cycling it must be one of them two wheeled chaps?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair enough, appreciate you know more about cycling than me. I just noticed how Sagan is 1/3 on to win the points classification, which I thought was for sprinters?
No it's the points competition, traditionally fought over by sprinters.

Sagan is a better all round rider, so he can pick up points, throughout the whole tour.

Cav is THE sprinter, he's a flat track bully, and the best in the world.

Without Sagan Cav would win the points competition, a la The Giro, but Cav can't pick up Green Jersey points in the mountains like Sagan.

Turn ITV4 +1 on now, to see what I mean.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Wiggins or one of the cyclists from the Olympics. As good as Cav is, Sagan challenges him extremely close as to the best sprinter in the tour.

Whereas nobody can beat Farah at the moment.

You're getting the green jersey confused with 'pure' sprinter credentials. No one comes close to Cav as the fastest, and best, sprinter in the pro peloton. Aside from his raw speed his tatical nous is second to none too. By consensus in the world of road cycling he is by far and a way the best sprinter now, of his generation and most likely EVER in the history of the sport.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Fair enough, appreciate you know more about cycling than me. I just noticed how Sagan is 1/3 on to win the points classification, which I thought was for sprinters?

Sagan on Cavendish today:

"I lost a couple of points to Cavendish but that's okay, the important thing is to not lose too many," Sagan said. "Mark is the fastest man in the world, it's almost impossible to beat him."

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It's impossible say who our greatest sportsperson is, surely?

Not just because the sports differ, but the standard of the opposition differ.

To write off Murray because he struggled to just a semi-final is ludicrous.

It also depends on what you define as being great.

Does skill come in to the equation of which sport trumps which? I would suggest there is far more skill involved in tennis than cycling or running.

What is clear is that we have some awesome athletes in a variety of events.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
MARK CAVENDISH

end of thread.

Currently being talked about as the greatest sprinter......EVER!

Can I say that again......that has EVER existed!! Absolute legend.

edit: I see 1066 already said this..

Last edited:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
No it's the points competition, traditionally fought over by sprinters.

Sagan is a better all round rider, so he can pick up points, throughout the whole tour.

Cav is THE sprinter, he's a flat track bully, and the best in the world.

Without Sagan Cav would win the points competition, a la The Giro, but Cav can't pick up Green Jersey points in the mountains like Sagan.

Turn ITV4 +1 on now, to see what I mean.

You're getting the green jersey confused with 'pure' sprinter credentials. No one comes close to Cav as the fastest, and best, sprinter in the pro peloton. Aside from his raw speed his tatical nous is second to none too. By consensus in the world of road cycling he is by far and a way the best sprinter now, of his generation and most likely EVER in the history of the sport.

Cheers.

Trying to get into the tour as really enjoyed it last year, but picking it up slowly. All cleared up now :thumbsup:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Noticeable how the whole discussion on this thread is about how good any individual is or isn't at winning something ???

Surely sportsmanship is more than just that or am I being too optimistic in thinking that.

I thought the way Fernando Verdasco graciously accepted defeat after being two sets up showed he was a good sportsman.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A fantastic show from Murray. Showed incredible resolve today. So for me it is Andy Murray. Hope he proves people wrong by dispatching Djokovic and I have a feeling he will. He will beat the Pole 3-0. Guaranteed.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Cav ripped Le Tour a new one today.
Murray reached the semi finals.

I think he still has a little way to go.

Is riding a bike that hard? It's just peddling, used to do it a lot as a child so I do have experience.

It never seemed that hard, especially when I upgraded my BMX for a racer, the gears made life a lot easier.

goldstone0

Dec 6, 2008
Alistair and Jonathan Brownlee. Those guys are at the pinnacle of Olympic distance triathlon. Hopefully they can raise the profile of the sport in Britain in the process.

D

Deleted member 18477

Currently... Froch, Murray, Farah, Froome or Cav.

All incredible! Justin Rose has had a good 2013 so far too.

Other shouts... Jonathan Trott and Jimmy Anderson. Cant wait for the Ashes!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here