Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is the best current British sports star?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The thing about this question is it's subjective and can be completely skewed by the competitors in each brit's sport.

What I mean is, Andy Murray is obviously brilliant at his sport, but people will use the criticism of "there are arguably 3 better than him, so how can he be better than another brit who is top of their sport".

What you have to consider is, removing all competitors, who is the best at doing their sport.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting Murray here. I'm just saying it's an answer which can be completely skewed. If Murray had been playing in a different era he could be potentially racking up the titles and people would be suggesting he's the best.

Throwing a name out there, could Ronnie O'Sullivan be considered?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
So basically athletics to you devoid of skill is just running, jumping and throwing!? I could do all those before I rode a bike. No skill or talent required....Swimming, I was doing that by 4....in fact I could kick a football before I rode a bike.....as for someone mentioning triathletes, do me a favour, swimming-cycling-running, or should I say bathing-peddling-walking fast....easy.

:lolol:

I really hope you're on a wind up!

Running yes, jumping and throwing has technique/level of skill involved.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
............and I'm not doubting a cyclists strength, stamina, endurance, heart, what ever you want to call it, but Britain's best sportsman?

cause they can ride a bike fast/ for long periods?

Not for me.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What you've got right so far, is demonstrating a pride in your own ignorance.

Geraint Thomas got injured DURING the race, not before it. In football he would have been substituted (after 10mins of rolling around like he'd been shot), however you cannot substitute a rider once the Tour begins, and therefore his team would be a rider down for the remaining 17 or stages of the race.

Thomas is sticking it out because the Tour is about 21 separate stages, and if he can heal at least a bit, he'll be able to assist his team mates later on.

Haha! Classic Bold Seagull. Patronising, overly-long, humourless. Marvellous.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Perhaps reading this may give you some idea of the pain thresholds endured by pro cyclists and their "jump back on" mentality. Much as I love football, it does make the fall to ground and roll around attitude to being touched quite pathetic. Cycling is most def a hard mans game requiring immense bottle and an ability to go through levels of pain surpassing any other sport IMO

www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2004/jun/28/cycling.tourdefrance2004

The bloke is obviously incredibly brave but does a high pain tolerance make him good? I'm not belittling his bravery or attitude. I'm not sure that it equates to 'best'. That for me means that the person has to be a winner as well as a grafter. Chris Hoy is one for sure, so is that darts player whose name escapes me who has won everything.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
The bloke is obviously incredibly brave but does a high pain tolerance make him good? I'm not belittling his bravery or attitude. I'm not sure that it equates to 'best'. That for me means that the person has to be a winner as well as a grafter. Chris Hoy is one for sure, so is that darts player whose name escapes me who has won everything.

So multiple world records, world championships and Olympic gold medals would be needed for Geriant to be considered good then? He has a long way to go...

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Throwing a name out there, could Ronnie O'Sullivan be considered?

Some will disagree because of him competing in a non-athletic sport, but I'd certainly say he is worthy of consideration. He is the clear world leader in his sport having won his sport's World Championships 2 years running and now 5 times in all (probably should have been double that over the years had he started working with Dr Steve Peters earlier in his career) and he has a high level technical proficiency at his sport, playing in a way that cannot be taught from a coaching manual, but with flair and confidence to take risks.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
So multiple world records, world championships and Olympic gold medals would be needed for Geriant to be considered good then? He has a long way to go...

Then why not just say that? The post implied he was best because he cycled with a broken pelvis. The medals and world records change all that. Fair do's to him if he's got all that under his belt. You and Bold Seagull should have said that earlier.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Serious question SB, what is the skill set that a top cyclist needs over an every day cyclist that has nothing to do with fitness or strength?

It's been said before but tactics and judgement play a huge part. My thing is running and a great example of tactics and judgement can be found in the final 6 miles of the Olympic marathon. The Ugandan ran a clever race and arguably won by choosing when to break away and by knowing the strength and having an understanding of the two he was up against and when they peak and trough etc. Sure you can simply run as fast as you can and just run against the clock and lead from the front like Paula Radcliffe does (and as I understand Wiggins does) but tactics, knowledge of your competitors and judgement can play a huge part.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Then why not just say that? The post implied he was best because he cycled with a broken pelvis. The medals and world records change all that. Fair do's to him if he's got all that under his belt. You and Bold Seagull should have said that earlier.

I think we're confusing things. I added the injury-resilience to SB's list of stuff further up (using Thomas as a current example) in reply to the 'it's just pedalling' reasoning of others. I'm certainly not claiming him to be the best British sportsman (he's not even the best at his bit of cycling). He's simply hard. It's something that isn't to do with fitness or strength, and is seen a lot in road racing.

Bold - I still don't think you've been called marvellous...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'll vote for Carl 'The Cobra' Froch

Boxings just hitting people isn't it? Anyone, that way inclined, can do that?

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Just googled his name - turns out he's a cyclist. If a bloke can compete at the very highest level in a sport whilst nursing a broken pelvis, it doesn't say much for that sport or the sportsmen, really.

I think some progress has been made here regarding your thoughts on pro cyclists (re Chris Hoy etc). I believe the suggestion for best current British sports star was a man by the name of Mark Cavendish. If you continue with your swing may well see you on cycling geeks thread later preaching to the converted :thumbsup:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Boxings just hitting people isn't it? Anyone, that way inclined, can do that?

..........its having the talent to be able to actually lay a glove on another talented boxer.

Anyone can hit someone but could you lay a glove on the Cobra? My money says no you cant.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Dunno about current sports stars but Benjamin (ben) Proud is the up and coming swimming star. Also happens to be my mate Sally's son,so there. Google him!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Britain's greatest sports star

Eddie-The-Eagle-Edwards-001.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here