Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who is the Albion's greatest ever cult hero...

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I think every single on of these players mentioned should have a thank you dinner arranged for them. Every single one. :wink:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Will probably get flamed for this, but never quite understood the hero worship of Johnny Crumplin. He was seriously crap when he first started playing for us, a complete liability and quite simply one of the most pilloried Albion players ever. The 'football genius' thing was (obviously) ironic to start with, although he did get better and had one very good game against Liverpool. Still not really sure why this makes him a 'cult hero', though...? I still have lots of memories of how awful he was.

Thats sort of the definition of 'cult' isn't it?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Tough one this, but the most revered and widely acknowledged fans favourites like Bob and Wardy would win polls of most popular.

My definition of cult hero means someone who was raised on some sort of pedestal by the fans beyond his actual achievements or time spent at The Albion.

1. Johnny Crumplin
2. Han Kraay
3. Vicente

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Cult Hero has to be Crumplin
Just heroes there are a loads, Zamora, Ward, Calderon, Hart to name just a few, they're all genuine legends.
But Cult Hero it's JCFG for sure

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Who is the Albion's greatest ever cult hero...

Probably the bloke (or woman) who came up with the idea of fracking up the York game......best thing we ever did!

Footballers?
Kraay v Crumplin would be a legendary NSC world cup final of epic proportions

Albion cult manager?
dopey disco scouser that put us at wembley......worst manager ever......but bugger me was that whole thing fun.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Tough one this, but the most revered and widely acknowledged fans favourites like Bob and Wardy would win polls of most popular.

My definition of cult hero means someone who was raised on some sort of pedestal by the fans beyond his actual achievements or time spent at The Albion.

1. Johnny Crumplin
2. Han Kraay
3. Vicente

there is something about the top two that separates them from every other single player that has played for the Albion though including Vicente,i cant quite define it,but its something about being different or the underdog.......not quite up to the task but giving your all......trying your utmost until that majical moment arrives........very much BHAFC

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Vicente because.

- He is one of the greatest footballing talents to don the stripes.The best I've seen in my time.
- He is a GOD at Valencia
- Some people didn't even know who he was before he signed
- He is left footed
- Derby. Bar.
- He is dreamy :love:

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Great shout. What was it Gus said about him once? "He not paticulally queek, he not paticulally skillful, he not paticulally strong. But he scores goals!"
Exactly, he was the definition of cult hero. Everyone could see that he simply wasn't very good at football, yet somehow whenever he was on the pitch the ball would manage to find his knee/face/arse and end up in the back of the net.

Yes there was Bennett and Bridcutt's wonder goals to clinch promotion/the title. Numerous great goals from Murray, Barnes, Lua Lua. But I'll never forget the goal our Fran scored against Oldham to put us top for the first time that season.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
In my lifetime I can think of three, though I missed out on a few generations of the 'real' cult heroes.

- Zamora
- Calde
- Hart

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Will probably get flamed for this, but never quite understood the hero worship of Johnny Crumplin. He was seriously crap when he first started playing for us, a complete liability and quite simply one of the most pilloried Albion players ever. The 'football genius' thing was (obviously) ironic to start with, although he did get better and had one very good game against Liverpool. Still not really sure why this makes him a 'cult hero', though...? I still have lots of memories of how awful he was.

But that's exactly the point.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Exactly, he was the definition of cult hero. Everyone could see that he simply wasn't very good at football, yet somehow whenever he was on the pitch the ball would manage to find his knee/face/arse and end up in the back of the net.

Yes there was Bennett and Bridcutt's wonder goals to clinch promotion/the title. Numerous great goals from Murray, Barnes, Lua Lua. But I'll never forget the goal our Fran scored against Oldham to put us top for the first time that season.

It was also Sandaza who made a nuisance of himself allowing the ball to land at Bridcutt's feet for THAT goal

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It might change in the next few months as Knockaert becomes more established!

Seems to have all the ingredients of a cult following,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here