Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is our best youth team product in the last 20 years?

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Discounting Barry and looking at cash has to be Virgo, graet business by mcGhee to sell him for so much.
I think Adam El Abd has to be up there, most improved player i've seen in an Albion shirt, and plenty of games with us at a decent level.

- - - Updated - - -

Discounting Barry and looking at cash has to be Virgo, graet business by mcGhee to sell him for so much.
I think Adam El Abd has to be up there, most improved player i've seen in an Albion shirt, and plenty of games with us at a decent level.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
And there is the WINNER. Hammond is a big shout, Lynch is a shout as well considering his promotion to the Premier League. But you'd have to include Harding ( :lolol: ) in that. To be fair, he did win England under-21 caps. Somehow.

Russell Martin is a massive shout, but we shouldn't take any credit for him considering it was Lewes and then Wycombe who nurtured him, Peterborough who made him a player and Norwich where he has excelled. Another candidate is Adam Hinshelwood, if that man had knees what a player he would have been. Such a classy centre back, it's a massive shame how it all ended up for him. And what an own goal against Colchester! Sullivan had absolutely no chance.

When did Lynch play in the Prem?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would Gus really have given him a chance this season? Would probably have ended up stuck in the DS or on loan at a league one or two team.

He'll be getting better training alongside better players at Spurs. Aside from the fact he'll be earning good money, it was a good move for him.

It is not a lot of good learning from better players if you dont get the chance to show what you have leant. Every Unite player could learn under Sir Alex but never have the chance to show what they have learnt.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I guess its quite easy to get the obvious answer, with some sort of game and level played statistics.

But I find the youth development conundrum quite interesting.

It is a complex process of a young player coming through with many variables outside of that individuals talent.

Opportunity is key, as beyond the genuine magicians that were always likely make it, decision's for selection, retention or releasing are made from a pool of similar talented players.

Therefore you need some luck and a system that might offer an empathy to your own circumstances.

It is no coincidence that many of the playing staff at clubs reflect the nationality of the coach/manager/owner even down at academy level.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Does John Robinson count?

Tony Towner?

edit:
.....should have read "in the last 20 years" :dunce:

John Robinson does count, was with us in 93 and was an international, so a good shout.
I am surprised that Kerry Mayo has not been mentioned, played for us in three divisions and was a great servant to the club.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Would Gus really have given him a chance this season? Would probably have ended up stuck in the DS or on loan at a league one or two team.

He'll be getting better training alongside better players at Spurs. Aside from the fact he'll be earning good money, it was a good move for him.

I don't agree with that, there is no reason to think he's even training with the main first team there. It's a matter of debate if it is a good move or not, but personally I don't think it was. Not from a football perspective.

When did Lynch play in the Prem?

I didn't say he'd played in the Premier League. I got myself confused because I was posting that reply and I had to do some work ( :down: ). Hammond was promoted to the Premier League, and Harding. I didn't mean to say Lynch had, I should have proof-read my ramblings, I apologise.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
El Abd had 50 games in the Championship before the move to Falmer. He seems to have been around forever because he has been around forever.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
would anyone agree the bubble has burst a little for JFC i'm really disapointed we have not seen him at all this season.

when you look at Southampton players his age getting time in the Premier League.

- - - Updated - - -

If we had Luke Shaw I imagine he'd play for us. JFC isn't really as good Shaw is he?
Who else is that young and homegrown?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If we had Luke Shaw I imagine he'd play for us. JFC isn't really as good Shaw is he?
Who else is that young and homegrown?

However we are in the championship and he is still not playing for us, even after playing games last season, have we really improved that much he cant even find his way onto a seven man bench?

Not writing him off, I just feel it seems like he has made step backwards this season.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I suppose Gareth Barry.

I thought Lynch would go on to bigger things and Adam Hinshelwood was destined for good things.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Former (or current) youth system XI:

Sullivan

Harding
Cook
El-Abd
Dunk

Barry
Hammond
Cox
Forster-Caskey

Robinson
Agdestein

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
However we are in the championship and he is still not playing for us, even after playing games last season, have we really improved that much he cant even find his way onto a seven man bench?

Not writing him off, I just feel it seems like he has made step backwards this season.

there must be an element of luck in this - I suppose an analogy is aspiring musicians there can be very talented people who never get a shout in the music business. JFC is still very young - he was excellent in the 2 games he played before newcastle and in the stoke cup game, he was poor in the Newcastle game and never given another shot. I know it is a big if but if he had been given a run and performed well at this level there would have been a 10 million price tag put on him.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Former (or current) youth system XI:

Sullivan

Harding
Cook
El-Abd
Dunk

Barry
Hammond
Cox
Forster-Caskey

Robinson
Agdestein

Agdestein doesnt count I'm afraid. so you will have to choose between Scott Ramsey/Joe Gatting/Ben Watson. Ben Watson actually played league football after leaving us i believe for Exeter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here