Who is our best youth team product in the last 20 years?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Who is the best youth team product to come through the Albion ranks, bar Gareth Barry to make things intresting.

For me it would probably have to be Dean Hammond.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Russell Martin has been the most successful, barring Barry. Shame he wasn't good enough for us :wozza:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
would anyone agree the bubble has burst a little for JFC i'm really disapointed we have not seen him at all this season.

when you look at Southampton players his age getting time in the Premier League.

- - - Updated - - -

Why can't we say Barry?

Well then theres not much point asking the question in the first place.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I think it's fair to say as well that Russell Martin's development was down to Charlton's academy after being released by Brighton.

Is Adam Virgo the only one to win a League title along with Barry? I know his career has gone downhill, but you could argue his leage title with Celtic makes him one of the most successful.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why can't we say Barry?
Because the OP wanted some interesting opinions not including Barry, because if you include Barry we'd all say the same thing, which is less interesting.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dunk and Hall are potentially the best but then so was Glen Geard and he didnt make it either, it must be Hammond who has achieved most. As Dean Wilkins was supposed to be so good very few have come through the ranks and been successful anywhere above Lge 2 Tommy Elphick is probably as good as any of the others

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
To keep making this thread interesting, I have barred Gareth Barry and a dozen other youth team players in coming up with...

... Mark Fox

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Future will only tell but I'd say Grant Hall

Well, that doesn't answer the question really does it? Who is our best youth team product? "It MIGHT be Grant Hall". Well, it's not is it because he won't ever play for Tottenham and he'll end up being loaned out to some crap outpost where he'll make no impression and disappear. Dozens and dozens of players his age are snapped up and flop like a fish out of water because they're not playing any football.

Grant Hall was a damned fool for flouncing off to Tottenham for the £££ and it's ended his potentially decent football career. Still, he's earning good money I'm sure and considering he was playing for Lewes not all that long ago, he's not doing badly for himself. I just hate the lack of ambition a lot of young players show, just sod off to Tottenham for a fat contract.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Nobody mentioned Adam El Abd?

And there is the WINNER. Hammond is a big shout, Lynch is a shout as well considering his promotion to the Premier League. But you'd have to include Harding ( :lolol: ) in that. To be fair, he did win England under-21 caps. Somehow.

Russell Martin is a massive shout, but we shouldn't take any credit for him considering it was Lewes and then Wycombe who nurtured him, Peterborough who made him a player and Norwich where he has excelled. Another candidate is Adam Hinshelwood, if that man had knees what a player he would have been. Such a classy centre back, it's a massive shame how it all ended up for him. And what an own goal against Colchester! Sullivan had absolutely no chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports