Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is our best youth team product in the last 20 years?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Agdestein doesnt count I'm afraid. so you will have to choose between Scott Ramsey/Joe Gatting/Ben Watson. Ben Watson actually played league football after leaving us i believe for Exeter.

I was stretching into the Development Squad.

As it is a still playing XI, I shall have George Barker instead.

We do seem to produce a lot of central defenders as Lynch and Elphick didn't get in.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I was stretching into the Development Squad.

As it is a still playing XI, I shall have George Barker instead.

We do seem to produce a lot of central defenders as Lynch and Elphick didn't get in.

Neither did Hinsh or Hall. also left out Russell Martin an Kerry Mayo

Dec 29, 2011
Well, that doesn't answer the question really does it? Who is our best youth team product? "It MIGHT be Grant Hall". Well, it's not is it because he won't ever play for Tottenham and he'll end up being loaned out to some crap outpost where he'll make no impression and disappear. Dozens and dozens of players his age are snapped up and flop like a fish out of water because they're not playing any football.

Grant Hall was a damned fool for flouncing off to Tottenham for the £££ and it's ended his potentially decent football career. Still, he's earning good money I'm sure and considering he was playing for Lewes not all that long ago, he's not doing badly for himself. I just hate the lack of ambition a lot of young players show, just sod off to Tottenham for a fat contract.

Moving to a bigger club shows no ambition? Ok then.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Neither did Hinsh or Hall. also left out Russell Martin an Kerry Mayo

Hinsh and Mayo are retired and Hall is unproven.

However, thinking about it Russell Martin edges out Steve Cook at right back

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Michael Standing. Went to Villa the same time as Barry, though never played for their first team and went all down hill from then. Now Barry's agent.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
So has our youth policy paid for itself down the years or would we be better off financially without one?

Dec 29, 2011
Michael Standing. Went to Villa the same time as Barry, though never played for their first team and went all down hill from then. Now Barry's agent.

More highly rated than Barry at the time of leaving, another career blighted by injury though. Barry has to be the best, remember the time before the 2010 world cup when he was injured and hailed as the messiah to save English football.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Former (or current) youth system XI:

Sullivan

Harding
Cook
El-Abd
Dunk

Barry
Hammond
Cox
Forster-Caskey

Robinson
Agdestein

League One promotion contenders. Not bad. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here