Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Who has got an unusual HOBBY?

D

Deleted member 2719

I started watching gold rsuh from the first season about 8 years ago.. It is great tv. I use to have a friend work on the show. Apparently it is the biggest earning program on discovery.

I never got into all the spin offs though like gold divers etc. It was all too samey and took too much time up. Gold rush is the original and best. Seeing Parker from a little kid to earning more money than i will ever see, i feel like a proud dad lol

I find it very addictive!

We are on series 5 at the moment, I am not sure how many there are???

Tony the Viking must hold the world record for telly bleeps!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton

I love the subtitles they give him... you are prob half way then if you are on season 5. Enjoy, it's not as if there is much else to do :)

D

Deleted member 2719

I love the subtitles they give him... you are prob half way then if you are on season 5. Enjoy, it's not as if there is much else to do :)

Haha.

That's great news then!

I agree Its the perfect time to get into programs like this!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Haha.

That's great news then!

I agree Its the perfect time to get into programs like this!

Sadly I'm fully up to date on Gold Rush etc. If you're only on season 5 you've got some good TV to watch in the next few weeks.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Last one of those I did was at Snetterton,scared the life out of me. I consider myself a fast road rider,did 4 years dispatch riding in the early 80's, but track days,not for me. Just when you think you've got the hang of it and think you're up to speed some "hero" comes past and nearly takes you out.
My idea of getting a move on nowadays is the lively 'bike ride from my place to the Amex in the better weather Got it down to 1 hour, doesn't matter which route I take and whether I ride like a knob or a novice. Wierd innit?

I was due to do Snetterton next month, obviously this isn’t happening. Supposed to be doing a double header at Val de Vienne and Le Mans in July, can’t see that happening either :( after I did my first track session at Brands I was hooked, gave up road riding and poured a load of cash into setting up my zx6r. She’s old, but it holds its own.

9795BDA9-A774-482D-BC60-C6BE416627CA.jpeg

D

Deleted member 2719

Oooh! I've done a few boxing day enduro's. Bit like lawn mower racing though, at 61 I'm really just making up the numbers.Still love it though.

Bikes and mud, now that is fun.

Although I have never had an off-road race, I used to go for a few spins through the woods and streams, nothing on this planet matches the adrenalin rush IMO.:rave::rave:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I have a Li150 Golden special (pacemaker) with a 185 Imola fitted. I was thinking of getting the kit taken off and a respray as the paint works a bit tatty now, but will have to put that on hold.

View attachment 121502
Second scooter I had was a second hand Li150. Bucket seats and terrible brakes as I remember bought it for less than £100. Written off when a car pulled out in front of me from a side road. Nice bike you have.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton

Caught up on Gold Rush yet :)

Does anyone metal detect? I have always been interested in doing it. Unearthing history or treasure. If i spent £300 on one would this be any good?

D

Deleted member 2719

Caught up on Gold Rush yet :)

Does anyone metal detect? I have always been interested in doing it. Unearthing history or treasure. If i spent £300 on one would this be any good?

Yes thanks, just the last in the current series on Tuesday.

What the feck I will watch on TV then who knows!

I have a good mate that metal detects and found a few things in his time. I am not sure how much he spent on his magic wand, I will see if I can find out for you.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Yes thanks, just the last in the current series on Tuesday.

What the feck I will watch on TV then who knows!

I have a good mate that metal detects and found a few things in his time. I am not sure how much he spent on his magic wand, I will see if I can find out for you.

You've seen parker age 10 years in the space of a year :) he has turned into a hard task master, but clearly making a fortune.

Awesome thanks. I am just curious about metal detecting and have got tot he point where i think, why not :)

D

Deleted member 2719

You've seen parker age 10 years in the space of a year :) he has turned into a hard task master, but clearly making a fortune.

Awesome thanks. I am just curious about metal detecting and have got tot he point where i think, why not :)

Yes, I get Parker I have an understanding as I also learnt a lot from my grandfather and held him up there with the gods of this world like Parker does.

Of course, I am not in the Parkers money league, but I can be a taskmaster in negotiation. He also goes big on things, whereas I like to keep a bit in reserve like an accountant!

My mate has some sort of understanding with farmers to my knowledge, he isn't interested in beech combing. I will see what I can find out.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.

I used to about 20 years back.
You will get conflicting advice on detectors but here's mine.
£300 will buy you an ok detector, just look at reviews before deciding and remember there are always good detectors on eBay that have hardly been used. They're a bit like exercise equipment in that respect.
Don't get too hung up on having features you'll not understand easily or need.
Garrett seem to make reasonable competent detectors along with plenty of others but do make certain you'll enjoy it before laying out too much, you should be able to buy a used detector that you could sell for near the same price if you don't get on with it.
Don't forget something to dig with and maybe headphones. I believe a "pointer" (not a dog) is fashionable these days too.

The more you use it the more you'll get to know your detector and what it's telling you.
You need to look up the legalities and etiquette before starting as well and your main problem will be getting land to search on.

My most memorable find: My detector pinged a nice round sound to me so I expected a coin or coins. I stuck the spade in and turned out about 15 coins onto the ground which unfortunately weren't silver or gold but large old pennies.
It was a rush though and I do wonder how they ended up buried there in the first place.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
For about 20 years, I enjoyed finding forgotten coal duty boundary posts and restoring the cast crests before putting them back in situ repainted in their original colours.

A corner of relatively recent English history that’s been pretty much forgotten about.

I only really stopped when travelling distances became excessive to discover new ones.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
For about 20 years, I enjoyed finding forgotten coal duty boundary posts and restoring the cast crests before putting them back in situ repainted in their original colours.

A corner of relatively recent English history that’s been pretty much forgotten about.

I only really stopped when travelling distances became excessive to discover new ones.
Sounds interesting. Got any pictures?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I used to about 20 years back.
You will get conflicting advice on detectors but here's mine.
£300 will buy you an ok detector, just look at reviews before deciding and remember there are always good detectors on eBay that have hardly been used. They're a bit like exercise equipment in that respect.
Don't get too hung up on having features you'll not understand easily or need.
Garrett seem to make reasonable competent detectors along with plenty of others but do make certain you'll enjoy it before laying out too much, you should be able to buy a used detector that you could sell for near the same price if you don't get on with it.
Don't forget something to dig with and maybe headphones. I believe a "pointer" (not a dog) is fashionable these days too.

The more you use it the more you'll get to know your detector and what it's telling you.
You need to look up the legalities and etiquette before starting as well and your main problem will be getting land to search on.

My most memorable find: My detector pinged a nice round sound to me so I expected a coin or coins. I stuck the spade in and turned out about 15 coins onto the ground which unfortunately weren't silver or gold but large old pennies.
It was a rush though and I do wonder how they ended up buried there in the first place.

Great advice. I shall start to look on eBay. I was going to use it on the south downs. Do you think you would need permission for that?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Sounds interesting. Got any pictures?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

I’ve got loads but unfortunately they are physical photos, I was doing this in the late 70’s for about 20 years, way before we all carried mobile phones with built in cameras.

I know I’ve still got them, either in the loft or the cellar, they’ve definitely not been thrown in our many house moves in the last 30 years. I’ll have a dig next time I’m in either the top and tail of our place, I’ll see what I can find.

As an aside, you are probably the first person ever to show any interest whatsoever in my ‘hobby’ back then. :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here