Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Who has got an unusual HOBBY?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Collect antique and vintage bicycle puncture repair kit tins. Have over 60+ at present from the UK, US and Australia.

Also have 10+ vintage bike with newest being 1955, oldest from 1905.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
When in Greece during the 90’s I would quite happily join the locals in a spot of goat warbling. Of course nowadays I’m a little slower in body and mind but still meet occasionally with the like minded in West Ashling with the
local warblers for their monthly get together.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
I see you have the thr’penny bit building in East Croydon.

Have you got “The Barrier” on Coldharbour Lane, Brixton? So called because it was built as a barrier (it’s a block of flats with the tiniest windows you’ll ever see on the “road” side) alongside what was going to be one of the three main ring roads originally planned around London in the 40’s (50’s? 60s?) that (obviously) never got built. Other starts were made for the roads too - there’s a building just off Trafalgar Square that’s offset to the existing road, but wouldn’t have been to the intended new road, and the bottom of the M11 is very weird - but it allowed room for an intersection with the new road. There’s loads of similar examples.

My Dad was the Facilities Manager at the NLA tower when I was younger and I spent many a Saturday running around that deserted building. It’s had a bit of a facelift recently I believe

Jul 7, 2003
He wasn't involved in this project, but he did invite me on the radio to talk about it, yeah!

Another friend of mine was in LA at the convention for the premier. Neither of them have any interest whatsoever in football so NSC will never hit their radar.

Flex Your Head

You haven't got the spiritualist church up Edward Street on your Instagram. And what about Brighton Law Courts, Hove Law Courts, St. Dunstan's and Hove Town Hall?

I got married at Hove Town Hall way back in about 1986. Fortunately the building lasted longer than the marriage did, which is great as it's a beaut! :D

The spiritualist church is definitely on the list for my next trip back home. The Brighton courts are are a wee bit borderine, but if I can find a decent angle...
Good shout on St Dunstans; cracking piece of International Modernism.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Flex Your Head

My Dad was the Facilities Manager at the NLA tower when I was younger and I spent many a Saturday running around that deserted building. It’s had a bit of a facelift recently I believe

It has; it's now called No1 Croydon, FFS! They'll never be able to hide it's true origins though.

NLA Letters 2.jpg

Flex Your Head

I see you have the thr’penny bit building in East Croydon.

Have you got “The Barrier” on Coldharbour Lane, Brixton? So called because it was built as a barrier (it’s a block of flats with the tiniest windows you’ll ever see on the “road” side) alongside what was going to be one of the three main ring roads originally planned around London in the 40’s (50’s? 60s?) that (obviously) never got built. Other starts were made for the roads too - there’s a building just off Trafalgar Square that’s offset to the existing road, but wouldn’t have been to the intended new road, and the bottom of the M11 is very weird - but it allowed room for an intersection with the new road. There’s loads of similar examples.

I've been past 'The Barrier' but didn't have time to stop... which just felt all kinds of wrong! I love getting out on my bike and just heading to a vague destination, all the time on the lookout for new specimens!

Flex Your Head

Brilliant. I only got a small way through your photos until Insta asked me to sign up. I’ll do this shortly, but in the meantime you asked for goodies....I used to work in Harlow and the train station and the town centre are quite brutal. As is my old lecture theatre at Brunel Uni. You may already have these.

Harlow's on the list of places to visit, it has a lot of William Mitchell's work there too - the chap responsible for the Spirit of Brighton in the old Churchill Square.

And Brunel Uni is a classic, as featured in A Clockwork Orange. Would love to get some snaps one day...

Brunel Clockwork.jpg

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
When in Greece during the 90’s I would quite happily join the locals in a spot of goat warbling. Of course nowadays I’m a little slower in body and mind but still meet occasionally with the like minded in West Ashling with the
local warblers for their monthly get together.

I wouldn't broadcast that from the rooftops if I were you.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Given the weather and some free time, I'm going to resume my hobby of Astronomy in the next few days.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I love Brutalist and Modernist architecture, and taking pictures of it wherever I find it - no camera, just my phone. An awful lot of people hate it, but I'm vaguely obsessed with it, and there are some decent examples in Brighton.
I used to live in the Barbican...you've got a picture of the back of my old flat on there!

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

Gold Prospecting & Panning in the UK. Beat that.

I have a bit of a thing about gold also, watching the yanks hard at it on BT catch up!

It's called Gold Rush.

Mrs Mouldy and I love watching episodes by episode as these guys get their emotions going high and low in search of the pay dirt.

Permafrost, love it!

:hilton:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I have a bit of a thing about gold also, watching the yanks hard at it on BT catch up!

It's called Gold Rush.

Mrs Mouldy and I love watching episodes by episode as these guys get their emotions going high and low in search of the pay dirt.

Permafrost, love it!

There is an Aussie programme of that nature too Mouldy. I have watched it occasionally, hard way to earn a living but don't they hit a high when they find a worthwhile trove.:wave:

D

Deleted member 2719

There is an Aussie programme of that nature too Mouldy. I have watched it occasionally, hard way to earn a living but don't they hit a high when they find a worthwhile trove.:wave:
Yeah, we have seen the Aussie gold hunters, that's more about metal detectors and big nuggets.
The Gold Rush series is more based Alaska and lots of machines looking to sift and wash thousands of yards of pay dirt for some of that gold stuff.

Used to know a Hungarian gold miner, lovely bloke but didn't take any shite, a very wealthy man, all self-made.

I reckon there could be oil near you.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton

It's called Gold Rush.

Permafrost, love it!

I started watching gold rsuh from the first season about 8 years ago.. It is great tv. I use to have a friend work on the show. Apparently it is the biggest earning program on discovery.

I never got into all the spin offs though like gold divers etc. It was all too samey and took too much time up. Gold rush is the original and best. Seeing Parker from a little kid to earning more money than i will ever see, i feel like a proud dad lol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here