Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Who does shop in BHS?

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
I bought some bedding from BHS somewhere in the region of ~5 years ago. Happy with the bedding but haven't been in since.

Gary Hart's Stalker

Jul 17, 2013
Gary Hart's Bush
My biggest memory of BHS in Brighton was the man outside playing the bagpipes. I did a week's work experience in their HR department and that's all I heard for the whole week! Wonder what happened to him?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Crap Secret Santa Presents...

BHS always had a wonderful select of tat on offer for exactly £5 or £10 depending on the office budget. Definitely the place to go to buy ill-thought through gifts for someone you didn't like, that they didn't want and would throw away before new year.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sir Philip Green if you don't mind, another tax avoiding capitalist head case knighted under Labour in 2006, last seen recently urging us to stay in the EU.

The perfect figurehead for the in-campaign.

And then supported Cameron and Osbourne in 2010 ..... quite clearly changes camps to suit his needs.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
My mother did. Until they left the area.

I can see M&S going the same way for much the same reason. I buy some items of food there - that's it. Last few bits of clothes generally turned out to be crap. I think I might have some ties that didn't fall apart.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Like others have said - I only go there at Christmas when I am desperate for some tat.

The on in Reading has a really bizarre new (couple of years old) design. It's almost like they tried to make it a lifeless gloomy store. We went there to get the son a suit when he was a toddler and Christmas tat and that's it.

It's a shame as we used to get my school uniform from the store in Bromley when I was a kid (obviously). I won't miss going in there but it's a bit of an institution on our highstreets so will be weird it not being there

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
My mother did. Until they left the area.

I can see M&S going the same way for much the same reason. I buy some items of food there - that's it. Last few bits of clothes generally turned out to be crap. I think I might have some ties that didn't fall apart.

Completely agree - I also find a lot of their food to be over priced crap. Eating one of their sandwiches at this very moment and it is no better than one from Sainsburys

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Its saved ...................or I think it might be
that tw@t that owns sorts direct is sniffing around

more over stocked cheap shite then

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Its saved ...................or I think it might be
that tw@t that owns sorts direct is sniffing around

more over stocked cheap shite then

If you want to see what it'll turn in to under his ownership (you probably don't), he bought a department store in Dublin called Heatons (who coincidentally bought the closed BHS stores here).

Its crap. Its basically Woolworths without the magazines and nearly every branch has a Sports Direct upstairs.

I do however buy stuff there occasionally - needed some jugs for gravy at Christmas and its the only place that sells the charcoal filters for my cooker hood.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I tend to buy clothes for my mum for her birthday or Christmas in BHS. I used to look at jeans in there for myself, but they never had anything I liked for me so I stopped that. So I guess they get my money twice a year and that's about it.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
BHS, along with Habitat and Laura Ashley, still haunts my 80's Brighton childhood. Just Laura Ashley to go and I will have my vengeance...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Same. Can see M&S food surviving and maybe even flourishing, whereas their clothes are nowadays mostly cheap crap outsourced to Indonesia. Can see them maybe just about about getting away with it until the current generation of pensioners pops their clogs, then can easily see M&S going exactly the same way as BHS. Seems very much like a brand that's run it's course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here