Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Who does shop in BHS?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The one in Watford always looked like it was nearing the end.
Shabby displays, hardly busy and an excellent light department in a drab store.
Never really bought anything there, always use it as a short cut to other shops.
If and when empty, it is a big store area to fill.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I bought my wife some lingerie in Churchill Sq shop around January time. People may remember me posting about having to walk down Western Rd with 4 pieces of lingerie cos they wanted to charge me for a plastic bag when Primark put your goods in a paper bag. Like many we use it to get into and out of the central area. I must admit I did stop in the cafe for a breakfast which I saw advertised, cant remember the price but it was very cheap like 12 items for £3.99 and it was awful but my own fault I should have guessed. Not been in there since but wife met a friend in there, who works in Brighton, for coffee.

It was suggested their failure was due to increased on line shopping from other sources so will M & S go the same way?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Lighting, nice bedding & bathroom stuff. Not the sort of things you purchase on a regular basis though.
Philip Green's ok though, & I bet he never bought anything from there; just bled them dry.

larus

mostly shite, and to much of it
cafe useless now
good advert for private enterprise, could'nt run a p1ss-up in a brewery.
Oh and they have just opened a small supermarket at the one in Eastbourne
feel for the staff in all of them, and unless someone buy it out the government is going to have to step in and pay out the pension fund.
used to be Ok in the 70s/80s........................and maybe that was/is the problem ..........they are still there?

I'm struggling to think of any state-owned enterprises which are well run and never complain about a lack of funds.

I can however, think of lots of private companies which are very well run and do well.

How much of out economy is state-run? Very little, and the bits which are are usually inefficient and wasteful.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Who shops in BHS really is the ninth wonder of the world (the eighth wonder being - why do so many people watch that shite Game of Thrones). Another vote here for - it's the most convenient way in/out of Churchill Square along with Top Shop/Man. In related news - when exiting Churchill Square at it's western end you must always make sure you go out through that shoe shop, doing so being a fraction of a second quicker than going out of the main exit doors, plus it pisses off the people who work in there.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Another reason to go in to BHS is the toilets. They are at LGF near the cafe, and avoid the 40 metre walk down that ridiculous corridor to the main Churchill Square toilets.

The shop itself is stuck in about 1992. It's like a lower quality version of C&A. Pricey though. I once saw a Hairy Bikers sandwich toaster in their sale- it was 'reduced' from £49.99 to £29.99, I checked on Amazon and the RRP was £29.99! SCAM!!!

By the sounds of it they should have gone bust in 2000 but that Green chap kept them going on life support so that he could suck out a load of cash in dividends etc. TBF early noughties you could probably get away with being about 10 years out of date, but today there is just more choice and most businesses have moved with the times, so now being about 20 years out of date, and being rubbish, isn't going to work. Is it.

On a brighter note, what business would everyone like to move in to the Brighton BHS?

My best guess is that it will be Primark no. 2..

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Lighting, nice bedding & bathroom stuff. Not the sort of things you purchase on a regular basis though.
Philip Green's ok though, & I bet he never bought anything from there; just bled them dry.

Sir Philip Green if you don't mind, another tax avoiding capitalist head case knighted under Labour in 2006, last seen recently urging us to stay in the EU.

The perfect figurehead for the in-campaign.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
They definitely have a lighting section , we went to have a look and swiftly departed. Dont think they've updated it in many years.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Funny, was wondering about the future of BHS on Saturday morning. Quick trip by me and Mrs into town, grab a couple of bits, spot of lunch with a glass of vino and jump on the bus home for Albion coverage. Well there was a 10 minute wait for the bus on a cool and blustery day so Mrs Woody suggested looking in BHS for a few minutes, I objected as 'I haven't bought anything in there in 20 years and who would?', anyway a quick walk up 3 or 4 aisles later and a hasty exit confirmed my previous thoughts.

In reality I thought BHS was out of date 35 years ago, how they have muddled through this far I do not know. The first thing that springs to mind when visualising their stores is cheap nylon shirts that your grandad may have worn for work, and pale lemon coloured dressing gowns for your nan, not much of a range is it?

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
BHS is just behind the times and couldn't / didn't adapt to a changing market, wants or needs of the 'modern' consumer; same problem that Woolworths had basically.

Shame to see another well known brand dissapear from the high street though.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
They definitely have a lighting section , we went to have a look and swiftly departed. Dont think they've updated it in many years.
When we visit my mum we use the toilet before getting the bus back to her house in Hove. Went there to buy my first work suit in 1983 but soon left empty-handed. My grandmother considered taking us there for fish and chips in the 70s to be a treat. Sorry to see the job losses but I won't miss it.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I never understood what BHS was for. It wasn't competing on price, it wasn't competing on quality and it wasn't competing on style or "shopping experience" . It didn't sell anything you couldn't easily get elsewhere. It seemed to be a shop of last resort which appears to be backed up by comments on here. Im not really surprised it's gone under.

Sir Philip Green if you don't mind, another tax avoiding capitalist head case knighted under Labour in 2006, last seen recently urging us to stay in the EU.

The perfect figurehead for the in-campaign.

Bizarre comment since he has publicly supported the Tories in the past. You do realise that all political parties can nominate people for knighthoods regardless of who is in government.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Bizarre comment since he has publicly supported the Tories in the past. You do realise that all political parties can nominate people for knighthoods regardless of who is in government.

Sure I do and sure he has, Cameron appointed him as an advisor while in Govt, but the point is which party seeks to put the interests of the British working class first?

Yes, that's right the same party that knighted Fred Goodwin........

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...-Fred-Shred-Goodwin-backs-honour-revoked.html

Sadly the political differences between Tory and the modern Labour Party are gossamer thin, and it's not the Tory's going left. The debate about the EU is totemic as both parties fall in line behind the influence of capitalists like Green and Goodwin.

Generally speaking the political choice is like choosing between 2 dog turds, but with different sprinkles.

Corbyn should have changed that but dynamic but is either too weak or running scared in the face of the PLP, It's refreshing to hear Frank Field explain what is happening to the traditional grass roots of the Labour Party this morning.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Cunning Fergus is a strange bitter man living in a bubble where everything is a conspiracy by either the Eu, the labour party or both. It must get lonely in there with just Das Reich and Bushy for company.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I've rarely bought anything in there - my ex used to frequently want to 'have a wander' around but I can't remember ever walking out with her making a purchase. I think I bought a pair of jeans in there a while back. Exciting times.

The one in Horsham is used more as a meeting spot, what with it being bang in the centre of Swan Walk.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm struggling to think of any state-owned enterprises which are well run and never complain about a lack of funds.

I can however, think of lots of private companies which are very well run and do well.

How much of out economy is state-run? Very little, and the bits which are are usually inefficient and wasteful.

one that was state run and now private is the ambulance pickup service, which since changeover is a shambles Oh and the railways are Ok are they? and god forbid if you want to find a dentist that will take NHS patients
you might not be as old as I am, but living here most are our age and its then you realise just how privatisation has taken over.
BHS bought for 2m then 4m taken out and sold on for £1 without a thought for the workers and their pensions

we live in a world where MONEY is god

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Cunning Fergus is a strange bitter man living in a bubble where everything is a conspiracy by either the Eu, the labour party or both. It must get lonely in there with just Das Reich and Bushy for company.

You're welcome to your view.

My position can be simply defined via the following 2 questions.....

Does the Labour Party actually work in the interests of the British working class?
Does the EU actually work in the interests of the British working class?

I consider the answer to both the above is No, and both actually work far more in the interests of capitalists like Sir Phillip Green, and therefore the modern Labour Party and the EU are 2 cheeks of the same arse.

In this referendum both the Tory and Labour leadership are telling their traditionally diametrically opposed supporters that they should vote for the same outcome. Well something can't be right there?

If the likes of Sir Phillip Green says we should stay in, I will take my chances with out thank you very much, he is no advocate of working class interests as we can see from this episode.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here