Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who do you want to win tonight's game - Sunderland vs United

Who do you want to win Sunderland or United

• Total voters

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Ah, you are in the know obviously, perhaps you'd care to PM me as to why you think he was, assumably, badly treated whilst behaving totally professionally himself ? :wink:

Your love appears to know no bounds :lolol:

Now come Icy, its pretty common knowledge. He was suspended, subjected to disciplinary hearing, and sacked for gross misconduct. His name was dragged through the mud on here and elsewhere with rumour and intrigue abounding. Now that is a very neutral and unbiased description of what happened to Gus.

My opinion is that is a bad way to treat someone who had delivered so much to our club.

Now you may argue that all this was justified, based on what evidence I don't know, but perhaps it was very justified. BW will be on in a second to tell us it most certainly was, whilst making 10 posts per page. But regardless of that, there is certainly no reason for Gus to be loyal or kind to the board of BHAFC. To the fans who supported him, yes, I hope and expect he remains respectful which, outside of your hypothetical case, he is being. It is also little commented that Gus has, to my recollection, said nothing damning or disrespectful about Brighton since the moment he was fired, nor been anything other than professional.

I don't do PM's :wink:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Now come Icy, its pretty common knowledge. He was suspended, subjected to disciplinary hearing, and sacked for gross misconduct. His name was dragged through the mud on here and elsewhere with rumour and intrigue abounding. Now that is a very neutral and unbiased description of what happened to Gus.

My opinion is that is a bad way to treat someone who had delivered so much to our club.

Now you may argue that all this was justified, based on what evidence I don't know, but perhaps it was very justified. BW will be on in a second to tell us it most certainly was, whilst making 10 posts per page. But regardless of that, there is certainly no reason for Gus to be loyal or kind to the board of BHAFC. To the fans who supported him, yes, I hope and expect he remains respectful which, outside of your hypothetical case, he is being. It is also little commented that Gus has, to my recollection, said nothing damning or disrespectful about Brighton since the moment he was fired, nor been anything other than professional.

I don't do PM's :wink:

Could it be something to do with the terms of whatever parting settlement was arrived at?

I try and stay away from threads like this now but your myopic views of events (as well informed as mine) astound me sometimes. We (you, me and 99.99% on here) don't know what happened to cause him to be fired but we do know that he was directly/indirectly responsible for BHAFC missing out on the £120 Million or so that Palace are now enjoying. Regardless of what he did before (with a budget his predecessors could only dream of within a brand new stadium remember), he ultimately cost us promotion. That alone prevents me from wanting him to do well. When he comes in with a derisory offer for Bridcutt whatever goodwill towards him was left diminishes further. I still don't hate him because I had some great days watching many games when he was manager but I do dislike him now.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Could it be something to do with the terms of whatever parting settlement was arrived at?

I try and stay away from threads like this now but your myopic views of events (as well informed as mine) astound me sometimes. We (you, me and 99.99% on here) don't know what happened to cause him to be fired but we do know that he was directly/indirectly responsible for BHAFC missing out on the £120 Million or so that Palace are now enjoying. Regardless of what he did before (with a budget his predecessors could only dream of within a brand new stadium remember), he ultimately cost us promotion. That alone prevents me from wanting him to do well. When he comes in with a derisory offer for Bridcutt whatever goodwill towards him was left diminishes further. I still don't hate him because I had some great days watching many games when he was manager but I do dislike him now.

I also try and stay away from these threads more and more but I keep running into this ridiculous point of view, that somehow losing a game to Palace equates to gross misconduct. Bloody annoys me that does. Its sport, its football, one team wins, one team loses, its entertainment and its passion and it can engage all kinds of emotions, and ultimately the results don't even matter because football to us is about supporting Brighton win, lose or draw. He lost a game of football, so bloody what. Why on earth is my view myopic because I don't fixate on that one game but because I focus on the previous 170 odd games he managed us for, most of which were great fun. What is the point of supporting a team, creating loads of great memories along the way, only to throw them all under the bus the minute a player or manager joins a new club. And what a ridiculous assertion that not solely focusing on our loss to Palace is myopic! Palace didn't go up because Gus threw a game, they went up because they worked hard for 46 games, held their nerves against us and held their nerves against Watford in the final, and had a player in Zaha who rose to the occasion when the other 21 players on the pitch struggled to make an impression.

Its because its Palace though isn't it. I wished that we hadn't got them in the play-offs for precisely this reason, that losing meant it would hang over our heads for years.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Vicente is not mental, just because you don't happen to agree with his 'worst man in football' assesment of Gus, there is no need to throw that slur.

He has a history of falling out with clubs particularly on medical grounds, I won't say anymore. He doesn't come across as a reliable judge of character, vs. the likes of Bridge, Dicker, Barnes and Bridcutt amongst many more.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He has a history of falling out with clubs particularly on medical grounds, I won't say anymore. He doesn't come across as a reliable judge of character, vs. the likes of Bridge, Dicker, Barnes and Bridcutt amongst many more.

He fell out with Valencia on medical grounds, what other clubs? Are you exaggerating here Mellotron??

When he left here he said Poyet took the piss out of lesser players in front of other team members, I'd tend to believe him.

Hardly makes him mental.

Bridge and Bridcutt wanted to play for him again, so why would they have any bad things to say about Poyet?

Not suggesting that players don't like Poyet in general but you seem to be pretty dismissive of any slurs on Poyet.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I also try and stay away from these threads more and more but I keep running into this ridiculous point of view, that somehow losing a game to Palace equates to gross misconduct. Bloody annoys me that does. Its sport, its football, one team wins, one team loses, its entertainment and its passion and it can engage all kinds of emotions, and ultimately the results don't even matter because football to us is about supporting Brighton win, lose or draw. He lost a game of football, so bloody what. Why on earth is my view myopic because I don't fixate on that one game but because I focus on the previous 170 odd games he managed us for, most of which were great fun. What is the point of supporting a team, creating loads of great memories along the way, only to throw them all under the bus the minute a player or manager joins a new club. And what a ridiculous assertion that not solely focusing on our loss to Palace is myopic! Palace didn't go up because Gus threw a game, they went up because they worked hard for 46 games, held their nerves against us and held their nerves against Watford in the final, and had a player in Zaha who rose to the occasion when the other 21 players on the pitch struggled to make an impression.

Its because its Palace though isn't it. I wished that we hadn't got them in the play-offs for precisely this reason, that losing meant it would hang over our heads for years.

Read my comments again-nowhere do I suggest that losing to Palace equates to Gross Misconduct. That Palace defeat cost this club a Wembley Playoff Final, possibly a place in the Premier League with the added bonus of £120 Million or whatever the amount is. You're ok with that?

My assertion that you are myopic goes way beyond that one game-Poyet is blameless in your eyes when he quite clearly isn't/wasn't. Now he's frigging well unsettling the team by making bids for players that he knows are crucial to this club's future. He's even said that Bridcutt's transfer request has nothing to do with him. You're ok with that too?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
When he left here he said Poyet took the piss out of lesser players in front of other team members, I'd tend to believe him.

People often have different opinions on what oversteps the mark, what Vicente thought was out of order appears to have been all-right with other ex-players. How many of them have complained about this? I'm not saying it never happened but how severe was it really?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here