Who can't afford to miss out on Promotion ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Who knows what Blackburn and Cardiff owners would do if they fail, they could have loads of patience.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I see my sky sports subs have gone up by £3.50 and Virgin are suggesting that it may go up a hell of a lot more......with Sky spending so much on the Premiership, I can see that if you dont get up this year, the Premiership will become a distant dream ( especially as the rumour is that Parachute payments will increase by 50%)

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
People say this every year about Cardiff and Leicester and yet they continue to spend.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I see my sky sports subs have gone up by £3.50 and Virgin are suggesting that it may go up a hell of a lot more......with Sky spending so much on the Premiership, I can see that if you dont get up this year, the Premiership will become a distant dream ( especially as the rumour is that Parachute payments will increase by 50%)

And they're trying to bring in Financial Fair Play rules? That's actually disgusting if true.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
And they're trying to bring in Financial Fair Play rules? That's actually disgusting if true.

I met a bloke on holiday who was the editor in chief at the Times and does a blog on the premiership ( nice chap actually) and he said that sky will try to do anything to hold on to their coverage and they were especially worried about BT. He saw the parachute payments thing as a massive bribe to current teams and when I said I was a Brighton fan, he suggested this season was the one where promotion to the Premiership for the "big" clubs like Bolton and Blackburn was vital as they wont be able to compete moneywise after then.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I met a bloke on holiday who was the editor in chief at the Times and does a blog on the premiership ( nice chap actually) and he said that sky will try to do anything to hold on to their coverage and they were especially worried about BT. He saw the parachute payments thing as a massive bribe to current teams and when I said I was a Brighton fan, he suggested this season was the one where promotion to the Premiership for the "big" clubs like Bolton and Blackburn was vital as they wont be able to compete moneywise after then.

It's that kind of thing that makes me want the football league to break off and have nothing to do with the Premier League, it really is a joke.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've posted a link on here to an article showing that Venky's had paid blackburn's debts and with relegation clauses + parachute payments they would be financially stable enough to survive relegation and the drop in attendances. This, of course was before their big money transfers. I still think they would be ok for a second year in the championship, but think they would prefer to go up this year.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Any club over spending is at risk, only 3 clubs go up so will be some clubs next May counting the cost

If these new parachute payments are confirmed and FFP comes in will we constantly see the 3 relegated clubs bounce straight back ? For me it's a huge and unfair advantage that could turn a truly unpredictable and competitive league totally stale.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Blackburn. Seriously they have spent a feckin FORTUNE. If they dont go up i will laugh and laugh and laugh. Seriously wanting them to fail now

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
If these new parachute payments are confirmed and FFP comes in will we constantly see the 3 relegated clubs bounce straight back ? For me it's a huge and unfair advantage that could turn a truly unpredictable and competitive league totally stale.

That's the whole idea though. Premiership was getting worried about the popularity of the Championship, due to the competition and equality that it offered unlike the top division, so the way they solve it is to make ours a worse league. Obviously improving their own league is out of the question, since that would involve wrestling some of the money out of the game and everyone (who matters) loses out.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
If Blackburn fail I will enjoy it so much...£8 million?! What a joke!!

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Blackburn. Seriously they have spent a feckin FORTUNE. If they dont go up i will laugh and laugh and laugh. Seriously wanting them to fail now

I really want them to fail too. The whole parachute payment thing stinks imo. They have blown the bank to build a team for promotion. With a halfwit like Steve Kean in charge, there is every chance they could screw up. It will be interesting to see if Venkeys remain loyal to him like last season if things start to go sideways for them? Has anyone told Venkeys, there is relegation from The Championship just like The Premier League?

The parachute payments system as it stands, is grossly unfair on other clubs in the Championship. Those teams relegated from The Premier League are basically being rewarded for failure. The payments should be less plus a maximum of one season only.

By accounts, Bolton will be really up Shit Creek if they fail to make promotion this season.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I sit next to a Wolves fan at work, and they seem to be flashing the cash too, having sold a couple of players.

I'd add them to the names already mentioned

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports