Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who are your dark horse teams in the Championship this year?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There's that many people tipping Bristol City now, I'm not sure we can legitimately call them dark horses.

They finished last season well under Johnson, their stadium is nearly finished so there's a sense of moving forward around the place, and their chairman is loaded. They've picked up Tomlin already which should boost them. The only concern is that they seem to struggle to persuade players to sign for them (or at least they did last season, but perhaps that was down to having Steve Cotterill in charge). Dwight Gayle and a couple of others turned them down last year despite big money contract offers. If Johnson can persuade a few quality players to move west, and they can get a couple of decent centre halves in to replace the cumbersome oafs they currently have like Aden Flint, then there's no reason why they couldn't challenge. They're easily a big enough club to sustain a Premier League club if they could haul themselves up there.

Nobody's mentioned Barnsley yet. I shall assume they're going to be relegation favourites :D

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Burton. Rotherham and Brentford. Very dark, indeed.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Burton. Rotherham and Brentford. Very dark, indeed.

Strange to lump Brentford in with Rotherham and Burton.

They looked very good towards the tail end of last season, made some smart signings so far this summer (Bentley, Egan & Sawyers) and their record signing Bjelland is back in contention after missing the whole of last season with Injury.

In fact they'd probably be my tip as a dark horse.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Another one for Leeds. Gary Monk will probably get them going again.

But he will only be there for 3 weeks once the season starts so not sure he's relevant, suspect their managerial merry go round will continue to destabilise them as a real threat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here