Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who are your dark horse teams in the Championship this year?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I am thinking Bristol City.

They came close a few years ago. Although that mean absolutely nothing, I just have a feeling they will make playoffs

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Huddersfield if their raft of German signings turn out to be decent. They didn't quite make the progress I expected in the months after we played them at the Amex last season though. Always got goals in them.

Bristol City too have looked better since Lee Johnson came in (0-4 Albion excepted), and I expect will further improve the supply line to Kodjia this window. Birmingham I fancy to push for play-offs again, maybe Preston too. Then you also have the likes of QPR and Fulham who have some talented players but are yet to really click for whatever reason since dropping down.

Wigan appear to have plenty of momentum from the way they stormed to the L1 title, and have seemingly hoovered up the best young players from that division and below (Grigg, Power, Morsy, Gilbey etc). Think a lack of Championship experience will prevent them from being anything beyond mid-table however, unless they go and address that quite dramatically this summer.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No way Fulham, and I suspect that Huddersfield won't be challenging for the play-offs either.
Preston just might but the gap might be too big for them to bridge. Bristol City is the best call, although my prediction is that dark horses will be fewer than previously: too much money with the relegated clubs means that at least two will make the play-offs most seasons; and there does seem to be a group of Championship teams that are challenging consistently, are well-run and/or have rich chairmen, have big crowds, and have solid and consistent squads. The good news is we're in that latter category.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't see any dark horses this season, I see a clear Top 5 of Newcastle leading the way with Norwich, Derby, Sheff Wed and us in the chasing pack.

Yoda

English & European
Although not so much a small/med club, Forest for me.

They were ravaged by injuries last season (more than us when we finally lost a game) so were in a false position at the end of last season.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Preston for me. I think they finished well last year, and were hard to beat at home. With a few decent signings to strengthen and they could suprise a few people this year.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Championship is never that predictable.

What, like Boro, Hull, Burnley and Derby last season wasn't predictable?

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Cant see past us and at 14s consider it quite a good bet

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You seem to have missed 2 teams

Re Sheff Wed, the bookies had them finishing 9th at the start of last season so not that much of a surprise they finished 6th.

Re the Albion - if a team finishes in a play-off spot in 2 of the previous 3 seasons is it really a dark horse? As soon as we bought Zamora we knew we were going to contend for the play-offs once again.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
If Warnock was at Rotherham still I would have said them, definitely feel Bristol City will surprise a lot this coming season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here