Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who are the TWO GAY footballers in todays MIRROR ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm a bit annoyed it made the front page, why does it have to be this massive thing? It's not ridicule from the fans I'm worried about, it's from the press. In future articles, they won't be able to go 2 lines without it being mentioned again. Just let them get on with their lives.

It's the Mirror though? What do you expect on the front page? World affairs? Katy Price meets Peter Andre is there definition of that. Not exactly lead story anywhere else. Even the Mail. Nope, it's nothing to get annoyed about unless you're looking for something in which case add another thousand Mirror front pages to your wrath.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
As long as homophobia in football remains as rife as it is, stories like this one will play out. It's not very long ago that the Albion had a manager who was prepared to proclaim "I'll have nae poofters in my dressing room".

Words like "brave" shouldn't need to be bandied about but, sadly, they are.

Who was that LB? Really? I'm surprised or are we talking said manager was in the seventies?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Like it or not, it is big news. Someone always has to go first, and that person will inevitably make the news. Good luck to them whoever they may be.

I thought Justin Fashanu was first :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Like it or not, it is big news. Someone always has to go first, and that person will inevitably make the news. Good luck to them whoever they may be.

Good luck indeed. It's a huge responsibility to shoulder.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's a rotten position for players to be in. Most would want to keep their private life out of the news, but it's impossible. So they have to 'come out' whether they like it or not.

As much as most folk will either be supportive, or just not care (the second being as meaningful as the first) there will be snipes and churlish behaviour to endure too.

The papers will publish support and tales of bravery, then elavate the individuals to the 'A' list of pestering scrutiny.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I look forward to the day when such things aren't even worth a mention, far less a front page story.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I don't see why anybody needs to come out as gay, I cant understand how its relevant to anybody else how they live their lives. Nobody's business but their own.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't see why anybody needs to come out as gay, I cant understand how its relevant to anybody else how they live their lives. Nobody's business but their own.

I agree. But if you're in the public eye the press might out you. And whilst most would prefer to keep it private the reality is a choice between constant fear of a tabloid expose or outing yourself on your own terms. I can fully understand why someone would choose the later.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

They probably don't want to 'come out'.

But because it is everybody else's business they are forced to.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I look forward to the day when such things aren't even worth a mention, far less a front page story.

It is the front pages that deem them worthy of mention. It's gossip, and it will persist for as long as people pay their shekels to read those headlines.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here