[Misc] Who are the most miserable nation on earth ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I was always under the impression it was Hungarians. Czech’s look pretty miserable at a first glance as well however a dozen of us pissing around with a BHA beach ball in Prague High Street put a smile on few old dears faces
Spent a few months in Czech Republic (now Czechia) and Slovakia - found the natives to be a great bunch and generally smiley and cheery. Was surprised to find them below us.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah Hungarians are a pretty depressed people, Poles also aren't particularly friendly or expansive but it might have nothing to do with their personal happiness and just them being closed-off.

Centuries of being crushed/facing genocides in turn from Russia and The Hun, making a downcast national pscyhe?

Devout Catholicism meaning the females don’t fall for intense chatting-up by Italian lothario’s ;) , instead staying loyal to Piotr … a boyfriend with a skin-fade at the top and a mullet down the back.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Spent a few months in Czech Republic (now Czechia) and Slovakia - found the natives to be a great bunch and generally smiley and cheery. Was surprised to find them below us.

We had a whistle stop guided tour by a Prague taxi driver in February, he could talk for Bohemia. He bemoaned the cost of housing, locals unable to buy as Italian and German investors had snapped up apartments and houses. As a result, he reckoned Czexit was a growing movement.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
We had a whistle stop guided tour by a Prague taxi driver in February, he could talk for Bohemia. He bemoaned the cost of housing, locals unable to buy as Italian and German investors had snapped up apartments and houses. As a result, he reckoned Czexit was a growing movement.
Not sure if that's a 'nations' thing - or possibly a 'most miserable professions' thread though!

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Centuries of being crushed/facing genocides in turn from Russia and The Hun, making a downcast national pscyhe?

Devout Catholicism meaning the females don’t fall for intense chatting-up by Italian lothario’s ;) , instead staying loyal to Piotr … a boyfriend with a skin-fade at the top and a mullet down the back.
To be fair the chances of me chatting them up are pretty slim since I'm a woman myself :lolol: but for sure all the wars and oppression plus some not-so-great climate make for a pretty harsh recipe

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The Scots are pretty dour. The happiest ones are those living in Edinburgh or down here.
I don’t buy that the average working class Scott has a much better life style than most southerners. The majority are homeowners without breaking the bank or having to work mental hours just to pay a mortgage. Again most have a brand new motor on the drive and go on two holidays a year. A brand new three bed will set you back a crazy £150k on a new housing estate in the Suburbs.
My other half being a Scott every time we visit her family the place becomes more appealing.
I would like to buy land which is dirt cheap and build one or two houses a year myself. The quality of lifestyle would be amazing compared to down south.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t buy that the average working class Scott has a much better life style than most southerners. The majority are homeowners without breaking the bank or having to work mental hours just to pay a mortgage. Again most have a brand new motor on the drive and go on two holidays a year. A brand new three bed will set you back a crazy £150k on a new housing estate in the Suburbs.
My other half being a Scott every time we visit her family the place becomes more appealing.
I would like to buy land which is dirt cheap and build one or two houses a year myself. The quality of lifestyle would be amazing compared to down south.

Should you ever make that move, giving up the Albion etc, you won't be a slave to SE England land prices. Effectively our mortgages here reflect astronomical land values.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
For some people maybe - but I and my wife (from up north) love the lifestyle of the Sussex coast: more sun than anywhere else, warmer, spend loads of time at the beach/swimming in the sea during summer, easy hop over to France from newhaven, easy up to London, get to watch the Albion.

Not sure how you can generalise as you have.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Should you ever make that move, giving up the Albion etc, you won't be a slave to SE England land prices. Effectively our mortgages here reflect astronomical land values.
I wouldn’t give up the Albion obviously wouldn’t make every home game probably around ten a season and could easily do northern aways.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Sorry the stats don't lie and I make no apologies to my Finnish sister in law! It's cold and dark most of the time. The blokes drink too much vodka and the general population too much strong coffee. When driving you never know when some huge Elk is going step out in front of you. And of course the biggest issue being that they have always been nervous of the proximity of the Russians.

And to counter this their best effort is the sauna ( please note correct pronounciation Sow - Na) which virtually every house has. To be fair the only thing I did like were the multitude of beatiful lakes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports