Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who are the most influential band/artist of all time ?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
not quite so...before Elvis there was the blues and great black artists...the quest for racist America was to find a white man who could sing as well as the balck artists, and could be marketed to the white youths. Before these trail blazers there was nothing.

Exactly.

Sure Elvis was great, and shaped popular music, but before him and Buddy Holly there were the masters of jazz such as Louis Armstrong and Billie Holiday, but before them was Blues music from the Deep South. Without Blues, and then jazz you would have nothing.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
All good calls for a certain period

But what about

Louis Jordan (mentioned earlier)
Robert Johnson
Duke Ellington
Louis Armstrong
Ray Charles
Hoagy Carmichael
George & Ira Gershwin
Cole Porter

and that's only a small number prior to 1950 !

I'll let you know when i've considered 1950 to 1960

Even though this lot clearly had their own influences, if we're talking modern day rock 'n' roll and 'pop' (ie popular) then this is as near as damn as being the definitive answer to the OP. In my opinion.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Bo Diddley
Chuck Berry
Ike Turner
Elvis
Beatles
Stones
Floyd
Ramones
Kraftwerk
Dylan
Cohen

but for me personally...Nick Cave

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dylan
Chuck Berry
The Clash
Elvis
The Beatles

As much as I love The Clash, and as good and respected as they were, I am not convinced they were influential on a big scale. They covered and combined many styles of music so arguably their influences were greater?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think it has to be The Sex Pistols, simply because if they could do it with such limited ability, it inspired almost anyone to have a go, and hopefully be better.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Exactly.

Sure Elvis was great, and shaped popular music, but before him and Buddy Holly there were the masters of jazz such as Louis Armstrong and Billie Holiday, but before them was Blues music from the Deep South. Without Blues, and then jazz you would have nothing.

Very much so, and on this basis I nominate Leadbelly as one of the earliest blues artists to be recorded and massively influential on all who followed

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Isn't this a pointless thread as a) you will never get a concensus and b) everyone mentioned, if asked, would probably say there were influenced by musicians before them. Probably goes all the way back to Ug and Og who, when sitting around that hot yellow thing they had just created and, having been able to recover from it that piece of meat that accidentally fell in the yellow thing (and which, surprisingly tasted better than it was when eaten raw thus spawning a whole new catering industry and being the forefathers of all chefs), began tapping on the nearby rock and found it quite melodic!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yeah ok, but didn't they play there own instruments???

No- certainly not at the beginning, at least. Michael Nesmith was the only musician among them.

PS - I am old enough to know and remember when the fact that they didn't play was revealed.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Led Zeppelin. Turned blues into rock music.

Ever heard of Cream or, before them even, the Rolling Stones, who were both heavily, heavily blues influenced.

Country Seagull

Jan 11, 2013
Along with those already mentioned (including Ug and Og) I think Captain Beefheart has also had a very significant influence on a lot of music, ranging from avant-garde stuff to jazz and alternative rock.

Dr. Feelgood were also quite important in the development of punk rock in the UK and the music that stemmed from that.

IMHO It's impossible to name a "most influential" artist because you can link every artist back to other artists, who you can therefore argue are more important.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The right answer is the Beverley Sisters, the eldest of whom (Joy?) married a prominent - nay THE prominent footballer of the day, Billy Wright, thereby paving the way for Victoria Beckham and Louise Redknapp

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
always about the guitar oriented music... what about the how gamut of House and its progeny?

Frankie Knuckles, Marshall Jefferson, Deerick May, Richie Hawtin, Gerald Simpson, Dr Alex Patterson, The Black Dog, Goldie, Richard James, Orbital: when will these and many others be recognised?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here