"White Lives Matter Burnley" banner flown over the Etihad

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I wasn't screaming anything.

If their leadership and defunding of the police is of no concern to you that's fine, doesn't mean others can't hold a different view and it doesn't necessarily mean they are racist for doing so.

I'm not accusing you of anything. All I'm saying is that there are forces at work to discredit BLM by any means necessary.

As it goes, I definitely do back defunding the police in the States. Seems like an eminently sensible idea, doesn't it?

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Defund the police advocates cutting police budgets and redirecting those funds towards mental health care and community projects. The theory being this would prevent strain on the police services further down the line. I don't know if the UK police force can bear any more cuts but in the U.S where towns with populations of less than 10,000 have military sized budgets with armoured Humvee's sitting unused in police garages then yeah, I'd say it's worth looking at.

But the issue isn't about just cutting money. It's about reform, improving the standards of policing and rooting out the officers that shouldn't be in the police. These things need to be clearly defined and standardised. Just cutting funding is simply going to make things worse imo.
You'll end up with more officers under pressure, wihch in the US will cause more deaths, and the standard of recruitment won't get any better. It may even get worse as it will attract lower 'quality' of people that you don't want wearing a uniform, especially in the US where police brutality is more common than over here (in the UK it's the other way around...the police are the ones normally on the end of a beating because they are so ill-equipped and under trained, as well as the growing lack of respect towards the police).

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
But the issue isn't about just cutting money. It's about reform, improving the standards of policing and rooting out the officers that shouldn't be in the police. These things need to be clearly defined and standardised. Just cutting funding is simply going to make things worse imo.
You'll end up with more officers under pressure, wihch in the US will cause more deaths, and the standard of recruitment won't get any better. It may even get worse as it will attract lower 'quality' of people that you don't want wearing a uniform, especially in the US where police brutality is more common than over here (in the UK it's the other way around...the police are the ones normally on the end of a beating because they are so ill-equipped and under trained, as well as the growing lack of respect towards the police).

You're right, it isn't about just cuts. It's about reallocating resources.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
You're right, it isn't about just cuts. It's about reallocating resources.

You're ignoring the main issues with the police and why the recent riots started.

Like I said cuts don't address that, so we'll just continue to get riots (even if more money goes elsewhere).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You're ignoring the main issues with the police and why the recent riots started.

Like I said cuts don't address that, so we'll just continue to get riots (even if more money goes elsewhere).

The sort of riots where beered up EDL members attack the police and throw Nazi salutes at statues of Churchill?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I did. Like I say, I found the quote from them a bit strange. Still, there seems to be a concerted effort to discredit them by screaming "marxist!" People are generally on board with the anti-racism thing so they're attacked from a different angle.

So if I were to say say that I am on board with the anti-racism thing, but find that the BBC calling the Burnley banner racist at the very least a bit baffling, how would that sit with you?

Honest, genuine question.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

I'm not ignoring anything as far as I'm aware. Who is advocating cuts without a plan?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
So if I were to say say that I am on board with the anti-racism thing, but find that the BBC calling the Burnley banner racist at the very least a bit baffling, how would that sit with you?

Honest, genuine question.

I would say that you're ignoring or wilfully misunderstanding the sentiment of the bloke who paid for the banner.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1275723298777726980[/TWEET]

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Very good post, if we can get all the blacks to stop thinking of themselves as victims all the time and educate them into looking after their own house then maybe we can put an end to all this racism and black lives matter nonesense once and for all. I’ve noticed it’s starting to do more harm than good now with many people getting fed up of their whinging. Certainly the kneeling before matches in support of that white cop that killed the black rapist in America needs to stop. It’s sending out the complete wrong message.

It wont stop until he is convicted, they know how it works there. Delay it for years while the cops are on full pay and get aquitted when everyone has fogotten about it.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I wasn't screaming anything.

If their leadership and defunding of the police is of no concern to you that's fine, doesn't mean others can't hold a different view and it doesn't necessarily mean they are racist for doing so.

Defunding is a terrible term being used because it implies no police. Police reform is what people want but because of the way the police system works in america the only way that can be done is to force them into it by witholding funds until they make the reform steps. Their police force and how it conducts itself and the power of their police union is a concern to me.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I would say that you're ignoring or wilfully misunderstanding the sentiment of the bloke who paid for the banner.

Neither I or you can be certain of the sentiment behind the banner, we can only have an opinion.

So can I not be anti-racism without agreeing lock, stock and barrel with opinions of those who choose to shout ‘racist’ at anybody who differs from their own narrow mindset?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
John Humphreys (a staunch Remainer) was illuminating after his R4 retirement.

He said that the BBC’s management culture behind closed doors had spent years poo-pooing the heart felt concerns from across the the UK about mass immigration, the effect on their communities and trades. Dismissing the countless millions as either racist or not as worthy as them. Imho if governments and influential others such as the BBC had listened over the last 23 years, been more flexible of thinking, compromises could’ve been made. We wouldn’t have ended up with the split of the nation right down the middle.

[I’m a Remainer btw, but respect the views of the many Brexiteers I personally know].

Very similar to my own views. The media luvvies and their cohorts caused Brexit by their wilful elitism over those they considered less worthy.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
John Humphreys (a staunch Remainer) was illuminating after his R4 retirement.

He said that the BBC’s management culture behind closed doors had spent years poo-pooing the heart felt concerns from across the the UK about mass immigration, the effect on their communities and trades. Dismissing the countless millions as either racist or not as worthy as them. Imho if governments and influential others such as the BBC had listened over the last 23 years, been more flexible of thinking, compromises could’ve been made. We wouldn’t have ended up with the split of the nation right down the middle.

[I’m a Remainer btw, but respect the views of the many Brexiteers I personally know].

John Humphreys, a staunch Remainer? Blimey...

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Neither I or you can be certain of the sentiment behind the banner, we can only have an opinion.

Sure, and my opinion is it that it was motivated by racism. It was done as a direct response to the steps the league has taken to highlight inequality. What's more, the guy that did it is an EDL supporter who has used racial slurs against Pakistanis in the past. His girlfriend has also posted racist stuff online.

So can I not be anti-racism without agreeing lock, stock and barrel with opinions of those who choose to shout ‘racist’ at anybody who differs from their own narrow mindset?

You can be whatever you want to be.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
The sort of riots where beered up EDL members attack the police and throw Nazi salutes at statues of Churchill?

Are you being deliberately obtuse?!

You pick one specific example (which was essentially a 'counter riot/protest') and ignore all the other riots that happened around the world.

What started these BLM protests (some of which turned into riots)? What started the 'hands up, don't shoot' chants? Have you forgotten, or are you just playing dumb?

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Defunding is a terrible term being used because it implies no police. Police reform is what people want but because of the way the police system works in america the only way that can be done is to force them into it by witholding funds until they make the reform steps. Their police force and how it conducts itself and the power of their police union is a concern to me.

At best, that's wishful thinking. At worst, you'll end up with more people being killed (both police and citizens).

There's nothing stopping Government bringing in reforms, in fact in the US, Donald Trump has already introduced some new regulations around policing.
You don't need to starve the police of funds in order to increase standards of policing.That's a dangerous game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports