Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

whinging poms

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Poms were the English prisoners sent to Australia. So they are the ancestors of many Australians. The English are not poms, despite what the uneducated idiots over there tell you.

That would be your version of it.

There's also the line of thought the POMS are the ones who got left behind and who are still slaves to the Royals given their taxes pay for their upkeep.

Now get back to work so the Queen can have cream with her scones!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you mean that 'pom' stands for 'prisoner of millbank' that's wrong - an urban myth I'm afraid. Alternative names for the British - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That would be your version of it.

There's also the line of thought the POMS are the ones who got left behind and who are still slaves to the Royals given their taxes pay for their upkeep.
Crikey, I've just looked at that wiki link and done a google search and seen that there are about 20 different versions of what it means.

If Steve is right, and it means Pommegranite, as in 'immigrant', then it means those living in Australia, so not people over here.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Dimwit we have a colony on the lake near us.Beautiful plummage.Dimwit sounds like my six year old grandson talking.

Stop whinging you Aussie

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
The term pommy, pom or pommie,[9] in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, usually denotes a person of British heritage or origin. Less commonly, it can refer to anyone from Britain or the United Kingdom. A non-derogatory term, it was ruled no longer offensive in 2006 by the Australian Advertising Standards Board and in 2010 by the New Zealand Broadcasting Standards Authority.[10] British people or those of British origin consider the expression neither offensive nor racist when used by people not of British origin to describe English or British people and acceptable when used within that community. But the community group British People Against Racial Discrimination was among those who complained to the Advertising Standards Board about five advertisements poking fun at "Poms", prompting the 2006 decision.[11]

There are several folk etymologies for "Pom," some of which are false etymologies. For example, there are rumors that the word's etymology is related to prisoners, such as "Prisoner of Millbank," but this claim is suspect[12]. A more likely theory is that pommy originated as a contraction of "pomegranate".[13][14] According to this explanation, "pomegranate" is extinct Australian rhyming slang for immigrant. A popular alternative explanation for the theory that pommy is a contraction of "pomegranate", relates to the purported frequency of sunburn among British people in Australia, turning their fair skin the colour of pomegranates.[15] However, there is no hard evidence for the theory regarding sunburn. Pomegranates are also a Middle Eastern fruit and were a fairly insignificant fruit in Australia and not well known until recently.[16] What many British emigrants find a source of irritation is when Australians refer to all Britons as 'English.' The United Kingdom comprises Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland; therefore Poms can be from anywhere in the UK, and not just England.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I may have lived in oz since 1989 but I'm as sussex as ever,God save the Queen and the West pier plus all the pubs I call home.

God did not do a very good job at saving the West Pier. I hope the Queen fares better.

As for Australia, you could be in Peacehaven on a sunny day. No culture, rough as **** ,thousands of bungalows and rubbish at cricket.

LeicestershireGull

Sep 11, 2012
Hi all,only one more game and im back in uk from oz for the rest of the season. Sometimes I cant believe the whinging from some of you.We are having a great season and have every chance of a play off spot,after that of course it's a lottery but these are good times to follow the Albion.Saw my first match in 1963 so been through it all with the Albion.Cant wait to return to the Amex for the Charlton game.Football is all about passion and belief,so lets believe.

Get back to Cottesloe beach,and spend the next week picking the sand out of your Bum-crack while you watch Derryn Hinch talk bollocks!

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Hi all,only one more game and im back in uk from oz for the rest of the season. Sometimes I cant believe the whinging from some of you.We are having a great season and have every chance of a play off spot,after that of course it's a lottery but these are good times to follow the Albion.Saw my first match in 1963 so been through it all with the Albion.Cant wait to return to the Amex for the Charlton game.Football is all about passion and belief,so lets believe.

Looks like you have attracted some of them :) , i agree mate some people think we should play flowing football every game , win every game , be in top two , get rid of Gus if we don't , madness i tell you ! So many managers on here think they can do better , that's why they are in other jobs :thumbsup:

I love the football , love the stadium and love the players and love Gus , times have never been so good and i've been going 45 years !

I'll be in the West Stand Lower bar after any game so you can buy me a beer :)

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Looks like you have attracted some of them :) , i agree mate some people think we should play flowing football every game , win every game , be in top two , get rid of Gus if we don't , madness i tell you ! So many managers on here think they can do better , that's why they are in other jobs :thumbsup:

I love the football , love the stadium and love the players and love Gus , times have never been so good and i've been going 45 years !

I'll be in the West Stand Lower bar after any game so you can buy me a beer :)

Cheers the voice of sanity.My thoughts exactly.If our paths cross the first beers on me

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I may have lived in oz since 1989 but I'm as sussex as ever,God save the Queen and the West pier plus all the pubs I call home.

Except you haven't lived in the same hemisphere as us for 3 decades - blimey, that's loyalty, I'd have swapped to the Sydney Swans a long time ago! You deserve free entry for Charlton game!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
God did not do a very good job at saving the West Pier. I hope the Queen fares better.

As for Australia, you could be in Peacehaven on a sunny day. No culture, rough as **** ,thousands of bungalows and rubbish at cricket.

I'm glad I'm not the only person to have spent time down under and come back not full of the typical back-packer "I wanna emigrate, it's the best place on earth" blah blah. Vast amounts of Oz is just Bexley by sea. Boring, boring, BORING suburbia! There's a reason why there's so many Aussies here: it can be incredibly dull place to live and isn't exactly cheap either. Fine for a visit IMO, but the grass ain't always greener. Just more grass. Infact, it's always burnt after one of the frequent bush fires that ravage the coastal belts. And the most incredibly sexist racist place. And we think we've got problems here. Nope, quite happy in our crowded rundown island. It's got it's warts, but I know where they all are :)

I'm glad I'm not the only person to have spent time down under and come back not full of the typical back-packer "I wanna emigrate, it's the best place on earth" blah blah. Vast amounts of Oz is just Bexley by sea. Boring, boring, BORING suburbia! There's a reason why there's so many Aussies here: it can be incredibly dull place to live and isn't exactly cheap either. Fine for a visit IMO, but the grass ain't always greener. Just more grass. Infact, it's always burnt after one of the frequent bush fires that ravage the coastal belts. And the most incredibly sexist racist place. And we think we've got problems here. Nope, quite happy in our crowded rundown island. It's got it's warts, but I know where they all are :)

And it is full of unpleasant venomous creatures. And some of the reptiles, insects and animals found there aren't very nice either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here