Which whisky for a beginner?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Just using up a miniature from Harvey's , 8 y.o. in my late-night coffee. Very nice. Wonder where they get the whisky from, is it matured in Lewes?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Now Southern Comfort is my favourite tipple. However, it is not a whisky of any sort, more a flavoured Vodka than anything else.

Yes, it's not strictly a whiskey but it is whiskey flavoured and has some of the characteristics of a standard American whiskey and this a good place to start before splashing out £30+ on a bottle of Woodford Reserve that may not even like.

Bermondseygull

Jul 6, 2014
Down by the river
Islay is my personal favourite, and I did get an excellent bottle of Nikka blended from Japan - strong and sharp but definitely worth a try. "Master of malt" is a website worth checking out for research and purchasing bottles you wouldn't normally find in the supermarket

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I was in here Saturday night and the people i was with seemed to think it was good.Maybe you could start here

http://thepotstill.co.uk/index.htm

I had a couple of pints as i don't drink whisky :blush: :lolol:
Its a whisky Mecca, I always pop in when working up there......its changed hands in recent years, but still has an impressive list.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Try a Speyside malt (Glenmorangie standard or port finish would be good). They are sumptious and a relatively easy one to start off with. Then progress round the coast of Scotland and Orkney in an anti-clockwise fashion, starting with Highland Park and then try the Skye whiskies (Taliskar is a mildly peaty one). Then try an Islay malt (very peaty and many say an acquired taste (I personally don't like them but appreciate they have many fans)). Also try one of the lowland malts Glengoyne or similar, nice a refreshing they are too.

Puts me in the mind of one just now.......

Nectar of the Gods of that there is no doubt!

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports