Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which whisky for a beginner?

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
As most have said on here, single malts are the pinnacle of the whisky world. Unlike most of the posters, however, I'd recommend the Island malts rather than the speyside or highland malts mentioned so far.
Most of them come from the island of Islay, but Jura whisky is also categorised as an Island malt. Whereas Jura has only one distillery, the neighbouring Islay has eight active distilleries each with a distinctive malt -- they are hugely different in subtle ways, but what they all tend to have in common is a smoky, peaty taste. It's an acquired taste, but once you've acquired it, you'll never regret it. My favourites, in addition to the well-known Laphroaig, are Bruichladdich, Lagavulin and Coal Ila, although I currently have a 12 year old Bowmore on the go.

Laphroaig tastes like expensive and rather cheap, cough mixture.....that's been knocked up in an open cauldron, cooked over some burning pallets and dung caked rubber tyres.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Again I would also hit on the single malts as they are the best.
As a option to a blend I have a chives regal 25 year old on the go, but the 18 year old is also pretty decent

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
If your starting then just go for a popular blended whisky such as Bells or Grouse. After that its difficult to advise as there are so many but one of my favourites is still Highland Park which I love.
Incidently I visited the Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchberg some years ago and its true you cant taste it or buy it as the County its brewed in is still designated dry and its prohibited. Most strange.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
As most have said on here, single malts are the pinnacle of the whisky world. Unlike most of the posters, however, I'd recommend the Island malts rather than the speyside or highland malts mentioned so far.
Most of them come from the island of Islay, but Jura whisky is also categorised as an Island malt. Whereas Jura has only one distillery, the neighbouring Islay has eight active distilleries each with a distinctive malt -- they are hugely different in subtle ways, but what they all tend to have in common is a smoky, peaty taste. It's an acquired taste, but once you've acquired it, you'll never regret it. My favourites, in addition to the well-known Laphroaig, are Bruichladdich, Lagavulin and Coal Ila, although I currently have a 12 year old Bowmore on the go.

Ah, you can't talk about the islands as a single concept and ignore Talisker...

Islay as an production area of its own is very often used though.

Yoda

English & European

Errm! Pardon me, but I mentioned Jura. ;)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
no way at any tasting, anywhere on the world but in Wales would Penderyn win a tasting

Oh yeah?
http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/About...n-wins-2013-Whisky-Bible-aw.aspx#.VOUV1OasWSo

http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/About...rds-for-Penderyn-Distillery.aspx#.VOUWOeasWSo

http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/penderyn/media/downloads/001-2014-awards-Aug-2014-V3.pdf

I was sceptical about Penderyn at first but I've sampled a few now and they're pretty good. Mind you, I still prefer an Islay

The Penderyn vodka, on the other hand, was dreadful

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Islay has eight active distilleries each with a distinctive malt -- they are hugely different in subtle ways, but what they all tend to have in common is a smoky, peaty taste. It's an acquired taste, but once you've acquired it, you'll never regret it. My favourites, in addition to the well-known Laphroaig, are Bruichladdich, Lagavulin and Coal Ila, although I currently have a 12 year old Bowmore on the go.

I love Islay whiskies, they're my tipple of choice, but they're really, really not for a beginner

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Is Scotch whisky any easier or harder to get used to than Irish or American?

Irish is smoother, easier to drink....reasonable price order some Redbreast 12yo..........

A beginners malt would be Auchentoshen.... lowland and smooth.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks for all the replies.
My favourites, in addition to the well-known Laphroaig, are Bruichladdich, Lagavulin and Coal Ila, although I currently have a 12 year old Bowmore on the go.
I tried a Laphroaig tonight - quite smoky (don't know if that's supposed to be a whisky thing). It tasted as I remember whisky tasking from a hip flask 30 years ago. I was ok with it, not loving it or hating it. They didn't have anything from Speyside, and nor did the next pub, so I tried a JD, which was easier to drink for someone that's never liked whisky. The second glass had ice in it (I asked for it neat), so I took that out, but it tasted nicer, which may have been me getting used to it, or the fact it had the faintest touch of water in.

See you Soon Trig when one of us will have to cough £50 to Remf :thumbsup:
Eh? I think you might be a bit confused, as I've never placed a bet where the winnings would go to the REMF.

Last edited:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I first got the taste after a Auchentoshan Three Wood, smooth, amazing flavour, great place to start. Balvenie Double Wood also worth a look (a tipple of Roy Grace no less!).

Done the auchentoshan distillery tour in the summer its excellent. Well any distillery tour is, they are hard to get wrong as days out to be fair.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Laphroaig tastes like expensive and rather cheap, cough mixture.....that's been knocked up in an open cauldron, cooked over some burning pallets and dung caked rubber tyres.

Don't want to sound like a philistine but I can't stand islay malts. And God knows I have given them a fair crack of the whip.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's a tough one to suggest, as there really are a lot of different tastes out there. My suggestion is to get along to a little whisky shop and see if you can discuss tastes and flavours. With a bit of luck it can be like going to the opticians, as they try different lenses. "Slightly less party, but perhaps a little Smokey. Hmm, let's try Jura Superstition".

If you are doing it yourself, then don't dive into the World, try a region, as they'll have quite different tastes within that region or individual brand.

As mentioned, Jurassic, is a good place to start. There are 4 different ones readily available in supermarkets, and they are different enough to give you an indication of what you like regarding general whisky flavours.

Overall though, it's down to personal taste, and if you like your whisky blended, with tonnes of ice and a dash of coke, then that's the way you like it, and it doesn't matter what the rest of us say. Just enjoy the journey, and the World of discovery.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Lol, damn you predictive text! Jurassic was supposed to come out as Jura, of course.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Oh yeah?
http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/About...n-wins-2013-Whisky-Bible-aw.aspx#.VOUV1OasWSo

http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/About...rds-for-Penderyn-Distillery.aspx#.VOUWOeasWSo

http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/penderyn/media/downloads/001-2014-awards-Aug-2014-V3.pdf

I was sceptical about Penderyn at first but I've sampled a few now and they're pretty good. Mind you, I still prefer an Islay

The Penderyn vodka, on the other hand, was dreadful

Fair enough, the last time it tried it was a couple of years before any of those awards, and then we thought it was properly dreadful, I still reckon there must have been a bunch of taffs on that tasting committee though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here