Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which SPORT are you best at?

Merdalfthewizard

once more unto the breach
Dec 25, 2014
265 miles from home games
JUMPING to conclusions and RUNNING my mouth off. Football, although it must be said I make a far better coach than I ever did player, would never have got into the Everton academy as a player, all things come to he who waits I suppose.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Used to play rec ice hockey and colt rugby in my teens and early twenties but a knee injury put pay to that. Took up running again in my mid thirties. Ran 2hr 10min for 20 miles last year and finished 29th out of 3,400 in the Budapest 10k in October. It's just a pastime but love the challange.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Probably cross country running but, like Monsieur Nylon, I never reached the highest of standards. In fact, I gave up when I first came to Brighton and got an invitation to go to training with a housemate who was himself a good runner. It was when I discovered that his training group included a couple of other runners who were well above average ... Brendan Foster and David Bedford ... that I came to the conclusion that I simply couldn't keep up.

LOL! Brendan Foster!! Priceless! Yes, just a bit 'above average'....!!!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Badminton now - as a kid I was a decent left arm spin bowler - was on Sussex's books at U14 level.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
I'm 'not bad' at so many sports but am 'good' at probably none! Down to handicap of 8 now so probably that but cricket is the sport I'm probably the most natural at.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm 'not bad' at so many sports but am 'good' at probably none! Down to handicap of 8 now so probably that but cricket is the sport I'm probably the most natural at.

I think this highlights the differences that can exist between people's definition of "good" - the vast majority of folk would, I suspect, say that a handicap of 8 is, at the very least, "good"!

What I've noticed in the sports/games that I know anything about is just how big a gap there is in the quality of the playing standard between the various levels, sometimes as much as an order of magnitude, and there can be as many as five "levels".

Objectively, I was probably best at chess (a game, not a sport, obv), where I was a junior international up to U17, when I ditched it in favour of trying to have a sex life. Junior county standard at swimming and fencing, the latter being easier than you'd think - "can you hold this epee correctly? That'll do - you're fencing for Sussex on Sunday".

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Golf for me though not to good. Was never any good at football so became a ref and done that for 20 odd years. Quite liked rugby as well

Last edited:

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Don't play anything regularly enough these days, but probably golf (played off 9 handicap about 40 years back) and table tennis (local league level back in the day). Enjoyed having a crack at most sports years back: football, cricket, rugby, tennis, squash, badminton. Got in the odd school team but was never more than average. Need to get back into running, really.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Cricket back in the day (80s and 90s), now golf although struggling to hang onto mid single handicap as yips setting in for short game!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Marathon running. 3:05 at 48.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Never really excelled at any sport.

At school I was one of those kids that was reasonable at most sports (with the exception of rugby because I was a weed) but never got as far as school teams or anything. In adult life I guess it would be rowing which I took up in the RAF and rowed for RAF Support Command a couple of times, but again, never got as far as representing the RAF.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here