Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Religion Is The Most Attractive

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Incorrect? How so?

You have stated that for a person to find religion attractive, they will not care whether what they believe in is true or false.
Do you think and percentage of Muslims will agree with you on that?
You have also said that a religious person clearly 'does not value truth'. This sentence is particularly worrying. Would Buddhists think this way?

I'm all for debate however if you wan't to shit all over religion, at least be intelligent about it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
TBH, I think Christianity is about the best, minimal prayer, minimal church attendance, they always take you back if you mess up. Face it, most of us are plastic Christians

i think thats Church of England you've described, not all christianity. some of the sects are quite strict.

This is a very dangerous, incorrect and offensive statement. Use it with care.

really? would you care to refute the statement made with some proof backing key religious tenets?

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
I googled to see if I could prove you wrong, but gave up as it made my head hurt. You make it sound, though, as if atheism is a dirty, taboo word.

As an atheist, that wasn't the intent! Atheism is a point of view on one specific question - does God exist. An Atheist shouldn't claim that God doesn't exist. The only thing an Atheist can claim is that there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that God exists, which is true. The fact that there is no evidence to support "His" existence doesn't automatically mean that he doesn't exist.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Pastafarian because its honest

i am drifting towards the 7th Minute Pastafarians of the
Reformed Carbonarian Pastafarian Movement as they believe every 7th minute is a holy minute, because the Flying Spaghetti Monster created the earth in 7 minutes...........obviously!

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
You have stated that for a person to find religion attractive, they will not care whether what they believe in is true or false.
Do you think and percentage of Muslims will agree with you on that?
You have also said that a religious person clearly 'does not value truth'. This sentence is particularly worrying. Would Buddhists think this way?

I'm all for debate however if you wan't to shit all over religion, at least be intelligent about it.

If you are a religious believer, you are a believer in something without sufficient evidence to back up your claims. CLEARLY, if you believe something without evidence, you can't claim that you're actively seeking the truth? You're just believing things that make you feel nice.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I've always though the buddhists have it pretty much spot on. Be nice to everyone and mind your own business, you don't see them running round killing each other like the stupid christians and muslims do

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
If you are a religious believer, you are a believer in something without sufficient evidence to back up your claims. CLEARLY, if you believe something without evidence, you can't claim that you're actively seeking the truth? You're just believing things that make you feel nice.

Who claims that by following a religion that they are 'actively seeking the truth'?
Just for future reference, you avoided the questions you previously quoted from me. I'm interested in your thoughts.

I'm not religious, I find it fascinating however Buddhism is the only religion that I'd partially fit in. However, I'm interested on the general 'consensus' on religion and how peoples attitudes towards it have changed.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Buddhism isn't a religion, it's a spirtual way of living.
Scientology is a club.
Christianity, Catholism and all the other religions have different views of a creator based on fear but they all follow out of date books that's bear no resemblance to society in 2012, society that has formed throughout the last century through scientific enlightenment and communication.
Id prefer to start my own religion, based on the fable of Monster Munch.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Who claims that by following a religion that they are 'actively seeking the truth'?
Just for future reference, you avoided the questions you previously quoted from me. I'm interested in your thoughts.

I'm not religious, I find it fascinating however Buddhism is the only religion that I'd partially fit in. However, I'm interested on the general 'consensus' on religion and how peoples attitudes towards it have changed.

They all looked like the same question to me?

I think you just proved my point for me. If religion isn't about seeking the truth, then clearly they don't care about truth?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Atheism isn't a religion, it's not even a world view. Atheists don't have "faith" in anything.

I have "faith" in many things: the human race, people, friends, community nature, myself, positive thought, doing the right thing and many many others.

I just don't have "faith" in an imaginary friend.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I've always though the buddhists have it pretty much spot on. Be nice to everyone and mind your own business, you don't see them running round killing each other like the stupid christians and muslims do

If only it were that simple. Sadly, Buddhists are just as prone to violence in some parts of the world as people of other faiths, and none.
Monks With Guns: Discovering Buddhist Violence | Religion Dispatches

We're all human beings, and we all mess up.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
I have "faith" in many things: the human race, people, friends, community nature, myself, positive thought, doing the right thing and many many others.

I just don't have "faith" in an imaginary friend.

It's not the same. The "faith" you have in friends etc. is earned and based off past experience. If every other person you had ever met was a massive wanker, you'd probably have a different idea of the human race.

Faith in an imaginary friend is completely different. There is no experience to draw from, nobody has ever met/spoken to him, and there is literally no evidence to suggest that he exists. It's belief without evidence, which is why faith is a bad thing.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Someone posted this picture on facebook. Could be an analogy for religion?

555647_451620278204757_772756726_n.jpg

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's not the same. The "faith" you have in friends etc. is earned and based off past experience. If every other person you had ever met was a massive wanker, you'd probably have a different idea of the human race.

Faith in an imaginary friend is completely different. There is no experience to draw from, nobody has ever met/spoken to him, and there is literally no evidence to suggest that he exists. It's belief without evidence, which is why faith is a bad thing.

You are talking about blind faith.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I am. All religion is blind faith.

I'd say religion that's been forced on by parents is blind faith, but if someone discovers it later in life I disagree with you.

"Religion is the opium of the people" - Karl Marx

Full quote :-

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I'd say religion that's been forced on by parents is blind faith, but if someone discovers it later in life I disagree with you.

it seems in later life there are still plenty of options to be forced into religion,it could be by a missionary or a religious prophet who claims you will be damned if you dont believe or a religious group that runs a homeless shelter and you must listen to a sermon before you can eat.....these would all be blind faith too no?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here