Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which ranks higher in all time greatest achievemens?

Well?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bumley have played in Europe.

Deffo promotion, until such time as 'staying in European competition' is an option.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
I asked this very question to my Dad and my friend on the walk back home after last night’s wonderful display.
We couldn’t answer the question as they are both incredibly special moments.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Qualifying for Europe. We’ve had to finish ahead many other clubs with bigger (and some much, much bigger) playing budgets, lost a manager and coaching team early season, had an insane end of season schedule and managed through a load of injuries…..and still finished ahead of ‘teams like’ Spurs and Chelsea. Much tougher gig than getting promoted with quite probably the best squad in the division at the time and after a near-miss the previous season.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Qualifying for Europe. We’ve had to finish ahead many other clubs with bigger (and some much, much bigger) playing budgets, lost a manager and coaching team early season, had an insane end of season schedule and managed through a load of injuries…..and still finished ahead of ‘teams like’ Spurs and Chelsea. Much tougher gig than getting promoted with quite probably the best squad in the division at the time and after a near-miss the previous season.
This.
Thanks for saving my thumbs the effort.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It depends what you prefer not be in least.

We can live without a European competition, but relegation would be a hammer blow.

Be careful of the example of Leicester. Champions once and gone within seven years.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Goes to show how straightforward getting promoted is doesn't it?
Yeh kind of blew his own argument out the water there 🤣

It’s so hard to choose. I chose promotion to top div due to the magnitude of only doing it once before - but on that basis I should have chosen Europe 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I asked this very question to my Dad and my friend on the walk back home after last night’s wonderful display.
We couldn’t answer the question as they are both incredibly special moments.
Yes, equally special moments, but finishing sixth in the PL and qualifying for Europe is obviously a higher achievement than finishing second in the Championship and getting promoted.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Goes to show how straightforward getting promoted is doesn't it?
Returning isn't so difficult, what with the financial disparity.

As said, if our European odyssey is a one time thing, then for me its all about promotion.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Returning isn't so difficult, what with the financial disparity.

As said, if our European odyssey is a one time thing, then for me its all about promotion.
There's a substantial financial disparity between us and most of the clubs we beat to Europe.
I'd argue that if we never make it to Europe again, that emphasises what an achievement it's been to make it this season, rather than devaluing it.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Think the way the question is posed it has to be Europa league, because that is due to attaining 6th place on 62-65 points, our best ever season ever, but I can see the other point of view. Wouldn't have achieved it without promotion in the first place.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's a substantial financial disparity between us and most of the clubs we beat to Europe.
I'd argue that if we never make it to Europe again, that emphasises what an achievement it's been to make it this season, rather than devaluing it.
Never making it again could suggest we only got their by other clubs failures, while we collected lightening in a bottle.

We gained promotion through learning from previous failures.

It's promotion for me, but if 'the process' is still working in 3-5 seasons time and we're still living this dream then for me that'll definitely over take the promo party.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
Europe is the bigger achievement but promotion felt like a bigger prize at the time.

Promotion meant the promised land mixing with the big boys.

Now the rest of Europe get to mix with us!

Feels completely surreal typing that but it’s true!

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Which ranks higher in all time greatest achievements?
There are two ways of looking at the question: which is the greater achievement in the sense of bringing more prestige or glory to the club, or which is harder to achieve?

If by the question you mean which is the greater achievement in the sense of bringing more glory and prestige to the club, I'd say qualifying for Europe.
If you mean which is harder to do, I'd still go with qualifying for Europe since to qualify for Europe you have to beat stronger teams than you do to gain promotion to the Premier League.

Plus it's breaking new ground, doing something the club has never done before. I know it wasn't called the Premier League in 1979, but Division One was still the top level of English football back then.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Think the way the question is posed it has to be Europa league, because that is due to attaining 6th place on 62-65 points, our best ever season ever, but I can see the other point of view. Wouldn't have achieved it without promotion in the first place.
By that logic you could say that avoiding relegation from League Two was the greatest achievement, since we wouldn't have achieved promotion to the Prem if we'd gone down in 1997.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here