Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which players aren’t good enough for the Graham Potter revolution?

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
I've just posted similar in the '3 players away from being a top team thread'.

1. If Bernardo and March aren't fancied at left back then a new one to come in. (Jamal Lewis from Norwich, but they'll be a few after him). Burn has been great and he'll rightly be in the squad next season, but we really need an all round left back who can contribute better in the final third. Would like to have seen Bernardo or March played there more this season, although I think both still have their limitations.

2. A left footed right winger for more balance in the squad (as March is clearly not fancied there a regular starter and Ali J as a right footer not being played either) - Wanted Bowen from Hull but West ham got him. Really think he'd have been perfect. Brooks from Bournemouth if they go down would be great but see above Lewis comment. Also, as a an Ali J fan, I'm not sure we've seen him play more than 3 games in a row starting from his favoured position on the right. I'm sure lots of people on here will say, 'well he can't have shown much in training', and they'll have a point. But I can't help thinking we'll have missed out on really good player.

3. Striker to replace Murray / add to the existing front 3. Quick and decent in the air. Hard to find! As Connolly and Maupay naturally drift out to the left, I'm hoping it'll be someone who drifts out to the right.... just to make them harder to find.

That's three, but would like a defensive mid upgrade on Stephens as well. Not saying he's rubbish or anything, he's been excellent over the years, just think we need to do better now. Given 20 mil spent on Webster and we have Dunk, I think we may see White tried in that position next year. He's quick, composed, reads the game really well and played there a few times this season for Leeds. Intrigued how we'll use him as I'm not so sure we'll go 3 at the back as regularly as a few on here think. Molumby to come back as well so may not need to go into the transfer market.

Hoping we can keep hold of Duffy for one more season until our evolution has progressed a bit further. Most players in the squad I think are more than capable to push for top 10, just a top left back, right wing and striker to come in. Centre mid less urgent with the emergence of Alzate and Bissouma this year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, just fans who have eyes and watch.

It's an odd reaction, 'the Propper fan club' or as earlier 'the Stephens fan club'.

It does rather allude to my hunch the OP really isn't a supporter of the Albion.

Gotta wonder why he bothers.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Propper's top of the charts this year when it comes to errors by midfielders leading to goals. Mind you, he's in good company.

Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 10.36.38 AM.png

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/error_lead_to_goal

In the previous 2 seasons he had none.

Disclaimer: I'm a fan of Propper He's also in the top 10 for touches by midfielders this season and 13th for touches.

Dunk is top 10 for passes and touches in the league of any position.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It's an odd reaction, 'the Propper fan club' or as earlier 'the Stephens fan club'.

It does rather allude to my hunch the OP really isn't a supporter of the Albion.

Gotta wonder why he bothers.

It’s called a joke old boy.

Ok again. I’m sorry, but I (and evidently many others on the NSC) don’t super rate Dale and Davy. It’s just an opinion, like football fans have everywhere.. not entirely sure why you take it so personally.

If a subtle criticism of footballers bother you that much, you really shouldn’t be here.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Propper's top of the charts this year when it comes to errors by midfielders leading to goals. Mind you, he's in good company.

View attachment 125932

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/error_lead_to_goal

In the previous 2 seasons he had none.

Disclaimer: I'm a fan of Propper He's also in the top 10 for touches by midfielders this season and 13th for touches.

Dunk is top 10 for passes and touches in the league of any position.

Also, Potter insists that his players are brave on the ball, can take a pass fizzed into them and will move the ball to beat the press: anything but go long. Our midfielders WILL **** up because they're told to front up and play.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Also, Potter insists that his players are brave on the ball, can take a pass fizzed into them and will move the ball to beat the press: anything but go long. Our midfielders WILL **** up because they're told to front up and play.

Exactly. As shown by the stats, Kante has made as many errors leading to goal as Pröpper this season and I doubt many Chelsea fans want rid.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011

Spot on. Any player who receives the ball in such tight positions - especially vs masters of pressing such as Liverpool - will occasionally lose the ball or have/appear to have a poor first touch. I am happy to be a member of the Propper fan club - he has been a major part of our survival and success in the Premier League, recognised as such by both managers. He is a stylish,skilful and selfless player - his highly intelligent cover has been a significant contributor to Lamptey's fantastic start. Yes, we'd all love it if Davy did all he does already, never lost the ball and weighed in with 10 goals a season, but I think his critics would struggle to name many players who would be a guaranteed upgrade.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Spot on. Any player who receives the ball in such tight positions - especially vs masters of pressing such as Liverpool - will occasionally lose the ball or have/appear to have a poor first touch. I am happy to be a member of the Propper fan club - he has been a major part of our survival and success in the Premier League, recognised as such by both managers. He is a stylish,skilful and selfless player - his highly intelligent cover has been a significant contributor to Lamptey's fantastic start. Yes, we'd all love it if Davy did all he does already, never lost the ball and weighed in with 10 goals a season, but I think his critics would struggle to name many players who would be a guaranteed upgrade.

Yep :thumbsup:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think Propper absolutely has the quality, whether he's had a rough few games or some silly mistakes, he is a cut above some others and don't want to see him go anywhere!

He probably is one our better midfielders, not as good as many think, but then if he was would he be playing for us?

It was a poor error the other night, but not sure who we could improve him with, whilst maintaining our budgetary levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
People seem to think No 10 as he played there once for Holland and scored twice about 3 years ago.

He is not a No 10

Not as a number 10, which he’s never played for Holland and a position that gets bandied around nowadays but certainly as a high line central midfielder which he has done and where he can be a more creative force for our attackers.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I think that Stephens and Propper together in midfield is a bit slow and causes us problems. I probably would try to sell Stephens in the summer. It would be a shame as he has been a fantastic player for us, and I would be happy if he stayed another season. However, with the options coming through, I think he won't get many starts and he deserves to be a regular starter for a team.

Propper, on the other hand, still has a lot to offer and I really think having quicker players like Alzate and Bissouma around him will help him.

We'll see what the club do in the summer. But I think it's the attacking options we will be looking to improve this summer and I don't see big changes in terms of signings (although there will be two or three players who were loaned out this season brought into the squad too)

Completely agree with this 100%.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Proper. Has been caught out a few times now, switches off, always has a mistake in him when playing from the back

Dale. Great pro. Great guy. But is too often chasing shadows. We can and should do better than Dale Stevens.

Matty Ryan, this choice hurts. He’s a great Aussie character, but it’s always nerve wracking watching him short passes. I also feel you want your goalie to make some worldies. Conceded too many soft goals.

Which players do you think Potter will ship out?

[emoji56]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Which players aren't good enough to mix it up with Man City...

... here's a clue...

... All of them!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here