Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which players aren’t good enough for the Graham Potter revolution?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Teams are apparently "intersted" in players all the time, Means nothing unless they bid.

I like Alzate, I think once he's fully fit you'll see more of him in the middle.

I agree with that. Think we will probably have Propper, Bissouma and Alzate as midfield three next season with Mooy, Gross and maybe Molumby as back up options

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you go back 5 years to a club in a relegation fight, Leicester also lost their 34th match of the season to one of the big boys 3-1 at home (Chelsea).

Leicester were then 17th, but had turned things around and performances were starting to improve. They had the basis of a decent squad but I daresay their fans would have been calling for a decent striker to be signed as Vardy had only scored 5 in 36 and - arguably at that point - wasn't up to it. Mahrez had only bagged 4 goals in 32.

They may also have argued that shipping 54 goals was too many (we're on 47). Albrighton, Morgan, Drinkwater, Schmeichel had not set the world alight either.

Leicester then proceeded to bring in Kante plus Okazaki and Fuchs. The rest is history. Ritchie De Laet, Andy King, Jeffrey Schlupp, Danny Simpson, Nathan Dyer, Demarai Gray all featured in at least a dozen matches during that title-winning season.

Therefore, I think there is much to be said for continuity, identifying those players than contribute to the whole and focusing on quality not quantity.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I agree with that. Think we will probably have Propper, Bissouma and Alzate as midfield three next season with Mooy, Gross and maybe Molumby as back up options

I enjoyed the game last night, played at a good pace which for me started to highlight those who are starting to look like yesterdays news.

I've always liked Propper, but now after 3 seasons I think he's looking a bit meh .

Lets be honest , he probably looks the dogs bollocks for 7 games a season , then a bit meh or woeful for the rest . If he's got time on the ball he's smooth on the eye, but most of the time he's out muscled, and not great under pressure at all, plus his assist and goal stats are really left wanting after 3 seasons.

Its this reason that I think his position is rightly being looked at hopefully.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
For those wanting rid of Propper, sorry to disappoint but he signed a new contract in in Feb. He's not going anywhere.

I'm not a fan but nobody with any sense is ranting that he needs to go. We just need him to work on aspects of his game that people have commented on and if he can't then he may have to accept that he will always be part of the rotation and never a dead cert to start.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I enjoyed the game last night, played at a good pace which for me started to highlight those who are starting to look like yesterdays news.

I've always liked Propper, but now after 3 seasons I think he's looking a bit meh .

Lets be honest , he probably looks the dogs bollocks for 7 games a season , then a bit meh or woeful for the rest . If he's got time on the ball he's smooth on the eye, but most of the time he's out muscled, and not great under pressure at all, plus his assist and goal stats are really left wanting after 3 seasons.

I think that Stephens and Propper together in midfield is a bit slow and causes us problems. I probably would try to sell Stephens in the summer. It would be a shame as he has been a fantastic player for us, and I would be happy if he stayed another season. However, with the options coming through, I think he won't get many starts and he deserves to be a regular starter for a team.

Propper, on the other hand, still has a lot to offer and I really think having quicker players like Alzate and Bissouma around him will help him.

We'll see what the club do in the summer. But I think it's the attacking options we will be looking to improve this summer and I don't see big changes in terms of signings (although there will be two or three players who were loaned out this season brought into the squad too)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
People seem to think No 10 as he played there once for Holland and scored twice about 3 years ago.

He is not a No 10

Way off mate. He actually played there twice, against Bulgaria and Belarus in 2017.

While he has played a lot of games both as DMC and AMC, his most common position was always as what van Gaal called the "pace accelerator" - a mainly defensive minded playmaker playing next to a ball winning midfielder and a penetrating attacking midfielder.

I'm sure he will stay (dumb to risk a change of clubs when he is aiming for the Euro "2020"), but I would like to see him as less of a certain starter. A new CM (or DMC) would be nice.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Good thread. So here is my list of players who should be looked at whether they’re up for the next level and reasons

Ryan- keep but needs to improve distribution and command of area. Position now under threat from Walton
Button/Steele- don’t need with keepers we have coming through
Montoya / Schelotto- would me minded keep Schelotto if he was happy to play back up to Lamptey
Duffy- back up/loan
Stephens- no longer good enough
Kayal- as with dale
March- never good enough for EPL
Ali j keep as back up
Connolly - send on loan to championship will be good enough
Muzza- to be used sparingly
Alzate - loan out to EFL with Connolly
Gyokeres- sell
Sanders - loan

We have enough quality coming through the youth team now to start using them. Roberts, Baluta, Yapi, Jenks, Ostigard, Richards & others all need to be given chances or moved on loan or perms.

Don’t agree with those saying Propper not strong enough. Dutch international still being played out of position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post, and thank you. But crikey... I was castigated for naming 3 players, you name half the squad [emoji1787]

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
All the players are replaceable if we can upgrade on what we have.

I can’t see any major overhauls this year but perhaps someone a bit stronger and larger up front.

I also wonder if we could put in a bid for Leeds’ Ben White and whether he could play defensive midfield, but I suspect he is way out of our price range.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good post, and thank you. But crikey... I was castigated for naming 3 players, you name half the squad [emoji1787]

Once the ball starts rolling many like to give it a further push.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Exactly. And which top 10 teams would be interested in Proper? Has the odd good game, can’t score, makes mistakes, not great with Potter style quick passes and goes anonymous.

If we want to be a top 10 team we can do better. I’d still keep him in the squad, but not first choice.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I do question the logic behind calling Propper shit because he doesn't score or assist before going on to say Bissouma, who also doesn't score or assist, is better.

Propper has scored (1) and assisted (2) this season. If those metrics are all we're using to judge the efficacy of a midfielder he's on par with Ruben Neves (2 goals, 1 assist) so we should be pretty f**king happy really.

the real issue combined with those stats is he is easily outmuscled , gives the ball away alot , drifts in and out of games alarmingly , has 1 very good game in about 20. I'm not sure what he brings when he is strolling around. Long hair i guess

Bissouma may not have the goals stats but looks strong and isnt easily bossed. Drives the team forward. Something Proper should be doing but doesnt seem capable of taken a game by the scruff of the neck and turning it for us. He can look alright when all is going well but its far too rare he puts in a 7+ / 10.

Biss likely to get much better also.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Exactly. And which top 10 teams would be interested in Proper? Has the odd good game, can’t score, makes mistakes, not great with Potter style quick passes and goes anonymous.

If we want to be a top 10 team we can do better. I’d still keep him in the squad, but not first choice.

As I've said before, I'd be very surprised if Propper stayed here if not first choice. Whatever you might think, he is far too good to be back up for Brighton.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's not a problem with 'Propper', 'Stephens', 'Mooy' or 'Bissouma'....it's more the combinations for me. I don't like Propper and Stephens together - Davy seems to need someone far more dynamic next to him (Bissouma long term hopefully). He's has some great games for us (Palace away in particular springs to mind), and several moments of brilliance, they're just too infrequent and then the odd mistake gets magnified out of proportion, like it's the only thing he did. My real sense is we still haven't quite worked out how to get the best out of him.

The way some of our fans turn on players - after losing to the almost-unbeaten likely record-breaking PL and European Champions and dissecting the performance to see what went wrong (translate - who is now shit and needs to be got rid ?) is laughable IMO. #TeamslikeLiverpool will cause you to make mistakes....that's why they are where they are - their players are generally better than ours (not their starting RB, obvs). Their manager is more experienced than ours. We're learning, and fast. Anyone expecting a major squad clear-out is deluded - 2-3 key signings at most I reckon.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
the real issue combined with those stats is he is easily outmuscled , gives the ball away alot , drifts in and out of games alarmingly , has 1 very good game in about 20. I'm not sure what he brings when he is strolling around. Long hair i guess

Bissouma may not have the goals stats but looks strong and isnt easily bossed. Drives the team forward. Something Proper should be doing but doesnt seem capable of taken a game by the scruff of the neck and turning it for us. He can look alright when all is going well but its far too rare he puts in a 7+ / 10.

Biss likely to get much better also.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, Propper can be pedestrian for sure. I'm not arguing that. Just winds me up when people look only at things like goals scored and then use that to label a player as shit.

I guess it boils down to, like everything, opinions. Mine is that he should be one of the first names on the team sheet (along with Bissouma).

It's one of the great mysteries and joys of football - that 30k people can look at a player or a game or a moment and come away with a different opinion on the same thing.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What's happened to Taylor Richards? Is he not knocking on the 1st team?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Obviously the answer is Propper. He doesn't have a reliable first touch. Last night may have shown that in stark focus, but its been clear for ages that his first touch is unreliable , and you have to have that to play centre-mid in a Potter team. Great player in so many facets of the game, but without that reliability, he can't be part of the Potter revolution.

I think Dale will be here longer, may not be as flash but he is certainly dependable.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
EcfwGnbWAAA3jOx.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So he doesn't produce worldies.

Yet in most games, even last night, he produces worldie reflex close saves esp on the second or third attempt.

TBH I'd rather have a goalie that can stop a thunderbastard from 3 yards than one who can look Hollywood a couple of times a season.

This.

So many examples, but one being that notorious match at Molyneux in April 19. Unbelievable close reflexes in preventing a 4-0 win for Wolves. Literally kept us up, in hindsight.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Obviously the answer is Propper. He doesn't have a reliable first touch. Last night may have shown that in stark focus, but its been clear for ages that his first touch is unreliable , and you have to have that to play centre-mid in a Potter team. Great player in so many facets of the game, but without that reliability, he can't be part of the Potter revolution.

I think Dale will be here longer, may not be as flash but he is certainly dependable.

Oof, careful, the Propper fan club will be after you!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here