Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which player has scored the most goals at the Amex?

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
If you factor in all of the games where Barnes had been played in any position other than striker fair enough. Barnes, when he gets a run of being played as a striker, will score goals. When he's being asked to drop back to help out defensively not even Messi would score under those conditions.

I don't understand why somebody who works his nuts off in virtually every game for The Albion gets so much flak from our 'supporters'. As El P said earlier: if you can find a better striker for £60k let the club know. I'd go further and say if you can find any player in any position for £60k who is better than Barnes let us know. Today's money, obviously.

Totally agree with this. I was one that thought that Barnes was not up to the championship, but have changed my mind. It is not just about the goals with him, it is about his overall contribution and that stacks up against others in the side. yes he might have the odd mare, but then who hasn't. You could throw that at Buckley,Spanish Dave, Bruno. The one thing you get from Barnes is 100% and some of the stats put on this thread show that he isn't as Pony as a lot of people on here think. When Vokes was with us he hardly set the world alight and I would argue out of the two I would rather have Ash. I suspect that on his current form the Barnes haters would rather have Vokes. Until he stops scoring and then he would be crap as well. Can't help but laugh at some of the early comments re Ulloa, couple of games without scoring and what a waste of money. CMS has Kopped it too. In fact I don't know any striker who has played in the last couple of seasons who hasn't been "crap" according to some on NSC. We could have Messi and if he didn't score for a few games he would be slaughtered on here. Give Barnes a break. I feel sorry for Leroy Lita he must be next on the list, didn't score this week.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Totally agree with this. I was one that thought that Barnes was not up to the championship, but have changed my mind. It is not just about the goals with him, it is about his overall contribution and that stacks up against others in the side. yes he might have the odd mare, but then who hasn't. You could throw that at Buckley,Spanish Dave, Bruno. The one thing you get from Barnes is 100% and some of the stats put on this thread show that he isn't as Pony as a lot of people on here think. When Vokes was with us he hardly set the world alight and I would argue out of the two I would rather have Ash. I suspect that on his current form the Barnes haters would rather have Vokes. Until he stops scoring and then he would be crap as well. Can't help but laugh at some of the early comments re Ulloa, couple of games without scoring and what a waste of money. CMS has Kopped it too. In fact I don't know any striker who has played in the last couple of seasons who hasn't been "crap" according to some on NSC. We could have Messi and if he didn't score for a few games he would be slaughtered on here. Give Barnes a break. I feel sorry for Leroy Lita he must be next on the list, didn't score this week.

Sicknote :whistle:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...delined-for-two-months-with-hamstring-problem

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Those stats prove nothing. Would be interested in how many goals per game or, better, minutes on pitch. If Barnes tops that list, then fair play to him...

Give it a rest your hatred for Barnes is insane. Please tell me how much we would have to spend to get a player who would score 1in3 probably 2-3 million is my guess. That is what Barnes has achieved and 500k to Burnley would be a steal for them

Feb 14, 2010
Is Barnes' likeability hampered by him not being cheery or standing in the away end if he isn't playing?

Gary Hart scored 40 odd in 350 odd, but was immune to criticism.

Gary Hart played in a shit side who hardly had the ball, Ashley Barnes Football Genius doesn't. But of course Barnes is better than OGH. OGH was a lower league player, Barnes, a second division player. But thats not the point, he clearly has something, work rate ect and he is in the side. Natural goeal scorer? From what I hear, no but that doesnt make him a bad player. He is the new Football Genius.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Gary Hart played in a shit side who hardly had the ball, Ashley Barnes Football Genius doesn't. But of course Barnes is better than OGH. OGH was a lower league player, Barnes, a second division player. But thats not the point, he clearly has something, work rate ect and he is in the side. Natural goeal scorer? From what I hear, no but that doesnt make him a bad player. He is the new Football Genius.

Gary Hart got promoted three times with us and played in the Championship so hardly a shit side.

From what you hear? Haven't you seen him play yourself?

Feb 14, 2010
Gary Hart got promoted three times with us and played in the Championship so hardly a shit side.

From what you hear? Haven't you seen him play yourself?

Hart did get promoted, yes but we got relegated quickly. I'm not slagging OGH at all but yknow. Have I seen Barnes? Ive seen him a few times. Runs around allot, does allot of defensive work and much to think, "give him a break, he's not Pele but so what".

Feb 14, 2010
Hart did get promoted, yes but we got relegated quickly. I'm not slagging OGH at all but yknow. Have I seen Barnes? Ive seen him a few times. Runs around allot, does allot of defensive work and much to think, "give him a break, he's not Pele but so what".

But that doesnt mean we shouldnt take the piss a bit! Where has the humour gone these days, people take this Barnes "For or Against" thing much too far. Crickey, Crumplin gave us the V sign at Watford, and the reply "Johny Crumplin Football Genius". In the end, Crumps liked the cult hero status he attained.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

We got promoted from div 4, then again from div 3, but came straight back down. Then we got promoted and stayed up, so was good enough to play in all three divisions. He earned a testimonial as he played for us for 10 years.

Feb 14, 2010
We got promoted from div 4, then again from div 3, but came straight back down. Then we got promoted and stayed up, so was good enough to play in all three divisions. He earned a testimonial as he played for us for 10 years.

Yes and Barnes is playing in a side that got to the play offs in the Championship. Look Im not slagging off OGH and Im not saying Barnes is Pele. Just saying that really, they are what they are. OGH became a cult hero, gave his best. Well Crumplin did the same, was not popular at the start but the original Football Genius then became a cult hero.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But given where we were when we signed him a good buy nonetheless. In the dross years he at least gave us something to look forwards to.

He was certainly tremendous value, given the number of games, against the pittance we paid for him. I know I'm in a tiny minority here, but in my opinion, he tainted the memories, by staying about 4 years too long. As someone who LOVES playing football, and who would have given anything to play for a living, I can't fathom why somebody would waste the prime years of their career, picking up wages to pay a few reserve matches, when he could have been starring in League 2 or similar week in week out.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He was certainly tremendous value, given the number of games, against the pittance we paid for him. I know I'm in a tiny minority here, but in my opinion, he tainted the memories, by staying about 4 years too long. As someone who LOVES playing football, and who would have given anything to play for a living, I can't fathom why somebody would waste the prime years of their career, picking up wages to pay a few reserve matches, when he could have been starring in League 2 or similar week in week out.

Perhaps he likes living down here and his mates.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He only played in the reserves whilst Wilkins was manager. He was very much part of Sladey's great escape team in 2009. You were at Bristol Rovers for that game, & saw what he contributed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here