Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Which one was the worst.. Love thy neighbour or On the buses

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The main reason I hated ITV when it started was the programmes were shit. This is long before I became irritated by TV adverts, and turned into a woke lefty, obsessed with culture wars.

The absolute worst was that one with the language teacher, the Swedish 'totty' in hot pants, the dopey Indian who got all the words wrong, etc. And if any of you are nodding sagely, I made all that up because I never watched it (only the trailers). Being a sit com writer for ITV in the 60s and 70s was simply a chance for embittered hack gammon to vent, while drinking Teachers whiskey and smoking Rothmans. In the afternoon. Shortly after having got out of bed. The ****s.
If you are going to pretend to ‘foment a fomentation’ Harry, and especially one about language, at least talk about Teachers Whisky and not Whiskey!🥃🥃😁👍

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If you are going to pretend to ‘foment a fomentation’ Harry, and especially one about language, at least talk about Teachers Whisky and not Whiskey!🥃🥃😁👍
I'd like to say it was a deliberate error. However, it was fundamentally carelessness. It's a fair cop. I'll come quietly, officer.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The main reason I hated ITV when it started was the programmes were shit. This is long before I became irritated by TV adverts, and turned into a woke lefty, obsessed with culture wars.

The absolute worst was that one with the language teacher, the Swedish 'totty' in hot pants, the dopey Indian who got all the words wrong, etc. And if any of you are nodding sagely, I made all that up because I never watched it (only the trailers). Being a sit com writer for ITV in the 60s and 70s was simply a chance for embittered hack gammon to vent, while drinking Teachers whiskey and smoking Rothmans. In the afternoon. Shortly after having got out of bed. The ****s.
Mind Your Language. Written by Vince Powell, who also wrote Love Thy Neighbour, as well as Bless This House, Never The Twain, Bottle Boys and quite a few other ITV 70s & 80s abominations. I see him as a White Horse man myself, but everything else sounds accurate.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Mind Your Language. Written by Vince Powell, who also wrote Love Thy Neighbour, as well as Bless This House, Never The Twain, Bottle Boys and quite a few other ITV 70s & 80s abominations. I see him as a White Horse man myself, but everything else sounds accurate.
Don't forget living in a dingy bedsit, which probably provided the inspiration for most of that cack.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
As stated from the 70's ..... for anyone who is bothered reading this shite thread which I originally started.

Rising Damp = Yes
Till Death Us To Part = Yes
Fawlty Towers = Yes
Steptoe and Son = Yes

Just in my humble opinion, the aforementioned piles of puss were in no way comparable with the above.

Last edited:

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Both shows had feature film spin-offs:

On the Buses - 1971
The film was the second most popular movie at the British box office, earning more than Diamonds are Forever.

Love Thy Neighbour - 1973
The film was the fifteenth most popular movie at the British box office, and I presume Live and Let Die comfortably outperformed it.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Don't forget living in a dingy bedsit, which probably provided the inspiration for most of that cack.
Living in a dingy bedsit or flat back in the day was the inspiration for many things, not least of all, to quote the Animals, ‘We Gotta Get Out Of This Place.’😁

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here