Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which of the out of contract players would YOU keep?

Which out of contract players would YOU keep?

• Tomasz Kuszczak

Votes: 166 56.1%
  • Casper Ankergren

Votes: 18 6.1%
  • Peter Brezovan

Votes: 23 7.8%
  • Bruno Saltor

Votes: 158 53.4%
  • Inigo Calderon

Votes: 242 81.8%
  • Matthew Upson

Votes: 276 93.2%
  • Andrea Orlandi

Votes: 149 50.3%
  • David Lopez

Votes: 21 7.1%
  • Will Hoskins

Votes: 116 39.2%
  • Kazenga LuaLua

Votes: 268 90.5%
  • David Rodriguez

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
My only reservation is that he will want top wages it wasn't based on ability or the fact he has had a great season

Gotcha. Seems to love it here and (unlike Bridge) unlikely to be hunted by clubs in our div with bigger budgets. Hope a contract can be negotiated because it'd be very difficult to get someone better for cheaper.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
So that's 4 of our starting lineup and 3 active first team squad members gone. Just the SEVEN to replace in the summer then. Easy.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
I think one of the reasons why Poyet left and why Garcia may have offered his resignation is that the squad does require an overhaul, and they wanted/want more money to throw at it.

However, we still have a core of players who should keep us in contention next year.

I think the following will leave (Out of contract): Kuszczak (Unfortunately), Ankergren (35, no good), Brezovan (34, no good), Bruno (33, too expensive), Lopez (Poor), Orlandi (Does not look interested), Rodriguez (Poor).
I think the following may be sold: Ulloa, Buckley (£10 million in the bank)
Loans expired (and not returning): Ward, Andrews, Lingard

However this would still leave a potential line up of:

GK: New
RB: New
CB: Dunk (Must now be given a starting role)
CB: Upson (New 1 year contract)
LB: Chicksen (Looked good in his limited appearances this season)
CM: Ince
CM: Stephens
CM: Crofts
RW: March
LW: LuaLua (Must have his 1 year option activated, surely)
FW: Mackail-Smith

Back up, Walton, Greer, Calderon (1 year), Maksimenko, Forster-Caskey, Agustien, Hoskins (1 year).

Plus: Any Development Squad players capable of stepping up, and some of the money from sales to be reinvested).

I'm looking forward (hoping!) to seeing either Oscar, or a new manager, shake things up a bit with some new blood, mixed with the existing players, to make us a bit younger, hungrier and dynamic.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Lose the two backup keepers, plus the two Davids.

Keep the rest.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
We will regret letting Hoskins go, he will do well somewhere else.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Gotcha. Seems to love it here and (unlike Bridge) unlikely to be hunted by clubs in our div with bigger budgets. Hope a contract can be negotiated because it'd be very difficult to get someone better for cheaper.

Lets hope we sign him. This aside, I cant imagine for one second there wont be bids coming in for Leo this summer. If the price is right this could make our squad alot stronger, like other posters on here, i have a feeling cms will be banging them in next season for fun

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
None of the 'keepers, unless PIG really wants to stay.

Hoskins - depends on his fitness

Rodriguez, no

All the rest, yes

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Inigo Calderon - Play/Coach Contract
Matthew Upson - 1 Year Contract
Andrea Orlandi - 1/2 Year Contract
Will Hoskins - 1 Year (If he has looked fit in training)
Kazenga LuaLua - 1 Year Option or 2 Year Contract

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think he's a definite starter if the new manager wants to play two up front but he's ineffective as a lone striker for me. Even out wide he's impressed me in recent games.

Agree 100%. It's maddening because I can see him and Ulloa working BEAUTIFULLY together.

Even though the game was over the RELIEF I felt seeing CMS buzzing around a static Leo was huge. He just adds that constant threat.

I think we can all agree that Gus played him in the single worst role possible for him. Just odd.

You just know that if he left us and joined, say Norwich next season, he would probably bang them in.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Keep one of Brezovan or Ankergen as back-up
Sign Upson, Calderon, D Lopez (if Oscar goes and he might get played in proper position), Lua Lua, and Orlandi and Hoskins(if they can get fit)

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
i would keep lualua and maybe Calderon but i would get rid of the rest, we need to really freshen up the squad, we need to bring in more young players and some other players as well, and turn the team into a team that is really Oscar/the next manager's, not the scraps of gus poyet's brighton team

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Tomasz Kuszczak - Get rid. His demeanor looks like he doesn't care much now. Problem is I would also get rid of both our other keepers. I guess a new number 1 and promote Walton to being second keeper.
Casper Ankergren - Get rid.
Peter Brezovan - Get rid.
Bruno Saltor - Maybe
Inigo Calderon - Definitely worth a new contract.
Matthew Upson - I think he is worth one more year.
Andrea Orlandi - Not sure. When on form he's worth having but he's either off form or injured too much.
David Lopez - Get rid.
Will Hoskins - Worth one year.
Kazenga LuaLua - Yep, always worth keeping.
David Rodriguez - Get rid.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Calderon, Upson, Orlandi, Hoskins, Lua Lua.

We need another goalie. There's better out there than Kuszczack. Bruno's too often a liability.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Quite a few of the above seem to be pretty clear cut for Yes or No. My thoughts on those that seem to be splitting the vote at near enough 50/50:

Kuszczak - If he wants to be here, then definitely yes.
Bruno - For me, it's a no. I'm delighted we had him here for two years, but if we want to aim for top 2 then we have to replace him as first choice left back. (Same could apply for Calderon but I'd keep him with a coaching role too)
Orlandi - I'd keep him. Brilliant when fully fit.
Will Hoskins - Ok he's more 33/67 than 50/50 but IF we think he can be fully fit next year then I'd definitely give him another year. He'd only do well elsewhere if we let him go...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
PIG
Calde
Upson
Lualua

It does also come to the wages demands, but I doubt any of them will be asking for silly money.

Dec 29, 2011
We will regret letting Hoskins go, he will do well somewhere else.

18 league appearances in 3 years. If someone else is willing to take the punt of paying his wages they're more than welcome, but so far for us he's been a complete waste of money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here