Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which of the current squad do you think might surprise us next season?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think one of Hughtons "nicer" problems he will have next season is (assuming Goldson makes a full recovery) how to keep 4 CBs happy over a season. I would be quite happy with almost any pairing.

So would I. I suspect he'll start with Duffy and Dunk as he has for most of this year, but I suspect Duffy might have problems stepping up (although I obviously want and hope he does!). If his form does drop off or Dunk gets sent off once or twice, then I suspect Uwe would step up fairly comfortably. Although, like you, I also suspect Goldson could too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was taking to a guy at work about this earlier.

I wouldn't, but assume many would, be surprised to see Hemed really make a mark. I just have a weird feeling that he will do really well in the Prem.

Also, would love to see Jamie Murphy play well and surprise people. That said I wouldn't be surprised if he left during the summer.

I'm with you re Murphy.

Oddly devastating and anonymous in sadly not quite equal measures.
Although in fairness that's a claim that can be leveled at many in this squad.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Was taking to a guy at work about this earlier.

I wouldn't, but assume many would, be surprised to see Hemed really make a mark. I just have a weird feeling that he will do really well in the Prem.

Also, would love to see Jamie Murphy play well and surprise people. That said I wouldn't be surprised if he left during the summer.

Great minds....

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Jamie Murphy.

We will be counter attacking next year. We've actually been quite counter-attacking this year. But next year we will have to accept that we won't have the majority of the ball.

Jamie Murphy is our most direct runner with the ball. When he gets his head down and runs through midfield with it, he is SO difficult to stop.

Reading was a prime example. We waited and waited and then BAM counter attacked. Most of that came through Murphy.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If he stays, I think you'll see Kazenga become relevant again at the expense of Skalak and Murphy.

Now that would truly surprise me. If it wasn't for the fact he has another year left on his contract, I'd fully expect him to be leaving us this summer.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If he's part of our 25 man squad, perhaps Jiri Skalak. Probably on my own on that one but the question was about a surprise. His strength is his delivery rather than his ability to beat a man. Where someone like Knockaert may be less effective if he can't beat his fullback someone like Skalak should get the opportunity to put a good ball in.

No, I reckon Skalak too. He's the best crosser of the ball I've ever seen at the Albion and he may have more time on the ball next year

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Now that would truly surprise me. If it wasn't for the fact he has another year left on his contract, I'd fully expect him to be leaving us this summer.

I think he'd leave too if he was free to, but we have to remember just how good he was for us before his injury last season. If he comes back fit and raring to go he'll be an asset at PL level, especially with a lot of aging full backs in the league. Pace demons at that level can have a big effect, but we'll see, QPR might sign him.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I can't see any of the current squad 'surprising' us, although as EK says there is always one!

The expected to do well players should all step up but I think there is more of a chance of one or more of them 'disappointing' us than the non expectants to surprise!

Only 3 months and 1 week to go!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think we hope that at least 1 of Murphy, Skalak, and Norwood ( and Bong if contracted ) surprise the collective NSC thumbs down.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I can't quite work out if you're joking....

GOAL.jpg

Or is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here