Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which, if any, of our Amex era players would make the legends wall?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
For me Vicente was a legend. The fact he didn't play that much is irrelevant. All clubs have examples of astounding players they got fleeting glimpses of who enabled them to dare to dream. Can anyone say they were unmoved when they turned up at the Amex with the news that Vicente was starting, or when they saw him warming up as a sub on the touchline? These kinds of stories of superstars turning up on your doorstep one evening, blowing your mind and then waving goodbye a few hours later are the stuff of legends.
Perfectly put. Doesn't matter that he made only a handful of appearances. Vicente opened all our eyes to just how astonishingly beautiful this game could be in the hands of a true master of the art. The fact that all this was happening at our own, beautiful new stadium made that early chapter of Amex history utterly sublime. A legend, for sure.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Calde and Greer. We'll miss them when they're gone.

If we're talking moments then Buckley against Donny is a definite, probably followed then by Spanish Dave's celebration vs Palace and Ulloa's winner vs Forest.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The legends have to be Vicente and Calderon.

Buckley's goals vs Doncaster were legendary too, so I'd include Will as well.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
None of them.

I think I must just have a different definition of legend to some others on this thread. To my mind everyone in that time - though plenty have great moments, even great spells - have either not played enough games, or done it for long enough, or been good enough. Probably Calderon, Greer and Ulloa come closest.

Vicente started 17 league games for Brighton. I'll say that again...17. In two seasons. That is not a legend.

Feb 14, 2010
Given that none of our players at the amex have played for us for that long, like Powney, or scored the goal to keep us iin the league, like RR, or played in a cup final/top flight for us, or played for England, like Foster, or won our only major trophy like Charlie Webb then no, none of them are even close to have achieved anything with us. The players at the amex have so far achieved ziltch of significance. None of them are remotely important to the history of the albion, never mind legends. However that doesnt mean they wont end up on the wall. After all someone made the frankly weird decision to put up Leon Knight but not Charlie Webb. The legends wall is not for legends, its just a collection of random ex players until Charlie Webb is put on it.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
None of them.

I think I must just have a different definition of legend to some others on this thread. To my mind everyone in that time - though plenty have great moments, even great spells - have either not played enough games, or done it for long enough, or been good enough. Probably Calderon, Greer and Ulloa come closest.

Vicente started 17 league games for Brighton. I'll say that again...17. In two seasons. That, nevertheless is an absolute legend.

Corrected for you...

Feb 14, 2010
Really!!! Greater than Bobby Zamora ? You are nuts.

Zamora a maybe but he only scored lower league goals for us. In the last 25 years the only legends have been the fans, dick knight, and tony bloom. The jokers on the pitch should be forgotten as quickly as possible. Charlie Webb scored the goal to win the charity shieldd, make us champions of england, was appointed manager as prisoner of war and was with the club for 40 years. Whoever put up frankly anyone, even Foster, ahead of Webb really does need to learn something about our club.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Corrected for you...

Talk about easily pleased. My memories of Vicente are mainly people like you going all moist at the thought he might be playing next week - but he never did.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yep, Vicente achieved the sum total of zero for the albion. Frank Worthington has a bigger claim

Unbelievable. Next that clown earlier will be claiming Vicente 'led us into the play-offs' (2012-13 started 6 league games out of 46).

Last edited:

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
None of them.

Vicente started 17 league games for Brighton. I'll say that again...17. In two seasons. That is not a legend.

Agree with this bit. He was magical on his day but a true legend is a combination of a few more things than just talent. It was great to see him though :love:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here