Where's the 15 Million gone?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry, but IMHO we've seen quite enough of CMS at this level to make a value judgement that it's never going to work. Under-pressure ball-suppliers just don't know where to find the bloke. Whereas they always knew where to find Ashley Barnes - lurking in or near the box where a striker should be. CMS at this level reminds me of Holroyd at Withdean. Forever making irrelevant runs while pointing at the ground and being ignored by all and sundry.

He was making a real nuisance of himself creating space at Leeds last night which gave opportunity for others to shoot. He also put through a superb pass for Ince which hit the post when he'd beaten the keeper.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He was making a real nuisance of himself creating space at Leeds last night which gave opportunity for others to shoot. He also put through a superb pass for Ince which hit the post when he'd beaten the keeper.

Fair enough, but isn't he the one supposed to be scoring the goals? ???

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Sorry, but IMHO we've seen quite enough of CMS at this level to make a value judgement that it's never going to work. Whereas they always knew where to find Ashley Barnes.

CMS 21 goals in 80 appearances.
Barnes 42 goals in 141 appearances...so about the same.

And CMS can be forgiven most things for the 91st minute against Forest on May 3 2014...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
CMS 21 goals in 80 appearances.
Barnes 42 goals in 141 appearances...so about the same.

And CMS can be forgiven most things for the 91st minute against Forest on May 3 2014...

Ah, yes, that cross from the corner flag. Fair enough, worked in our favour just that once - for which we were all eternally grateful. But over the course of the season where would you prefer your big money striker to be: in the box for half-chances/knock-downs or being hopelessly out of position out on the wing?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But Barnes was bought for £100k and sold for £750k.

CMS was bought for £2.5m and may well go for nothing next summer.

Yes. But Barnes is 6 years younger than CMS so obviously his current value/potential would be greater.
Also he would have gone for nothing but we were prepared to let him go in the January window.
As for a new CMS contract. Well lets wait and see. All credit to the club for supporting him through a 15 month absence and all credit to CMS for coming back into the team. Lots of players don't come back from that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I've seen it over 100 times. Sorry. But i have.
Its not from the corner flag is it ?

Near as makes no difference tho eh? Q: Why on earth wasn't CMS in the box at that point in the game? A: Same reason he rarely is! :shrug:

You saying we spent millions on CMS as a supplier of crosses? Sake!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
So last nights result has changed lots of people's opinions, jesus, it's one game!

Nobody is asking for all the budget spent, but you want some quality then you have to pay, quite simple. In my opinion if we think a few free's and loans are the answer then it's going to be a very long season and an away win at Leeds wont change that.

Hope i'm wrong and we bring in lots of free players and it works out great, just cant see it and don't think the clubs policy of ripping the fans off is fair when it comes down to it.

Are you not basing your opinion on the 2 previous games we lost.
The point is nobody knows who has the best team in this league, it's not always about how much you spend, it's about what you spend your money on. If promotion is based on who has the most money, then we would never go up, we are certainly not in the top 6 richest clubs in this league. Ulloa is a prime example, I good player who was reasonably priced and we made a lot of money on selling him, that's what we need to do as a club, not get big named players with big price tags.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Yes. But Barnes is 6 years younger than CMS so obviously his current value/potential would be greater.
Also he would have gone for nothing but we were prepared to let him go in the January window.
As for a new CMS contract. Well lets wait and see. All credit to the club for supporting him through a 15 month absence and all credit to CMS for coming back into the team. Lots of players don't come back from that.

The reality with CMS is the club are unlikely to recoup their investment, that ship sailed when he did not go to Norwich.

Your point about doing well to come back from the injury is questionable, as most players do now come back from those sort of injuries, especially at his age.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
You'll do well to cherish that CMS 90th minute goal vs. a couple of tired flat-footed league 2 defenders in the League Cup t'other week then, cos he won't be scoring many more this season.

CMS looked pretty good to me last night, I would not be quite as confident as that.

Obviously a new striker will you would imagine hinder his opportunities.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
CMS looked pretty good to me last night, I would not be quite as confident as that.

Obviously a new striker will you would imagine hinder his opportunities.

I just have zero confidence in CMS being in the box when it counts. He's just not a natural goal-sniffer in the long and noble dynasty of Albion goal-sniffers.

el punal

I don't write threads for everyone to agree with me, I don't write them to wind people up, I voice my opinions which is what this board is for isn't it. I'm not here to be mates with people, I have enough mates. We share our thoughts on the club.
Fair enough. Now that you've been pretty damning in the way the club are conducting their business, would you be prepared to take it all back IF, at the end of the season, the club prove you completely wrong?

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
It's good to know this is a site with a fair number of level-headed posters. It's good too to see that debate is not suppressed en masse. It's worrying that the barometer swings to such extremes based on one or two results.

I'm going to wait beyond 1st September because I'm a big supporter of what we might achieve in the loan window. Up until now I've had my doubtful moments but those doubts are being reduced with each bit of transfer business that I see confirmed.

We're not yet a Premier League team (ready as we might be) so I'm going to trust those who are looking for gold dust for us and not expect us to walk straight into Ratners and buy every flashy piece of tat on display. We're growing slowly, we're growing sensibly and we're growing in the face of considerable adversity (FFP, parachute payments and our third manager in three years).

I'm more than content to accept exactly the way this season is progressing.

I shall now await a comment around my use of the words 'debate' and 'masse' in close proximity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports