Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where would you be looking to strengthen in January?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Save our money for the summer unless Injuries kick in. Maybe a player or two for the U23.

Would like to see another striker brought in but they cost a lot of money

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Save our money for the summer unless Injuries kick in. Maybe a player or two for the U23.

Has Spence been kidnapped and replaced with a positive version?

Where is the old miserable negative Spence gone ???????

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Big possibility that we’ll shift some big earners (most likely on loan) to free up some striker funds.

OK there were multiple reasons for our poor second half of the season last year, but failure to strengthen in January was one of them. The thing is, when you’re in the top half, you are recruiting from a position of strength. Imagine if you are Norwich or Southampton and you’re 5 or 10 adrift of safety in Jan, trying to recruit quality. It’s hard.

Being half way up the league (hopefully) gives us a chance to recruit while we’re on the up. We should have done it last season and we shouldn’t be afraid to do it this season if the right players are available.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The below is the way I see it

Keeper = We’ve got a bit of a liability on an injury to Ryan (as Button is nowhere near as good with his feet). A loan recall for Sanchez or Walton is possible if Potter thinks they can play his way. (if not bye bye)

Right Back = The game time for Schelloto is intriguing, but I’m still not convinced it will last. I think we’ll go large for a RB as “competition” for Montoya

Left Back = Burn not a natural there but has filled in brilliantly. Bernardo will surely be fit by then and compete for that place. I’m not ruling out Cochrane getting (more)senior game time this season.

Centre Back = I don’t think we’ll sell, so we’re quite well covered. My sense is that we would prefer to not to recall White if we don’t have to, only long term injuries for Bernardo and Webster would make it likely. Even then we might rely on Baluta or a recall of one of our other small army of centre backs if we needed to.

Centre Mid = We’re surely well enough stocked here.

Wingers (if you can call them that in our current formation) = I can’t see us signing a winger for the senior squad. I reckon we’ll pull out the stops to get MacAllister in, in the summer. If we can’t, we may look to buy, but we have plenty of young talent in this position either on loan or with the u23s

Striker = There’s an argument for getting a target man in. There’s a better argument, in my view, for getting in more pace (it seems to be working currently) to complement our existing duo from the bench. I’m quietly hopeful Percy will have fulfilled the criteria in Jan and we’ll get him in with an improved contract.

I think we will lose several peripheral players in Jan. Ali J, Bissouma, Balogun even Solly are all possible departures. In addition, I expect some of the young players we have out on loan to be sold permanently.

Summary

Loads of comings and goings with some surprising goings
I think we’ll sign a senior keeper and right back
I think we’ll sign a load more 17 year olds
I think we’ll make moves to get our work permit players in. Percy in Jan, Alexis in the summer
Mostly agree with your individual points - not so sure about your summary though!
Don't think we'll see lots of comings and goings - it is well known TB doesn't like the January market and I can't see him changing - don't think we need much January activity anyway.
Quite happy with our goal-keeping options - Button is fine IMO. If we do buy anyone, I agree a RB is the most likely.
A few youngsters? Yes, maybe - but we'll have to be careful - doesn't the restriction on the number we can put out on loan come into force next season?
Don't expect to go for Percy in January - not sure we can yet anyway.
As for White, I think we'd explore every possible option before bringing him back before he's done a full season at Leeds.

PS. Don't think we'll see any sort of significant exodus of existing players.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A midfield player who can contribute between 5 and 10 goals a season, or at least shoot regularly from outside the box and get the shot on target.

A replica of Trossard for the right side

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree that it's hard to do good business in the January window, but I would like to see Andone and Locadia sold and one brought in if possible.

Odsonne Edouard from Celtic ticks a lot of boxes, I'd say he's still affordable for us, the lad has a 1 in 2 scoring record and has a particular penchant for scoring in big matches.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Look to boost U23s and make Mooy permanent

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
GK, RB, Forward.

LB if Bernardo isn’t as good as last year.

Would like to see White, MacAllister and Tau with is next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Center mid to challenge Dale, and a very good alternate striker to alternate with Maupay.

I love Potters signings so far, looking forward to see what he can do in his first full window.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
I think we know from last year the club don't see great value from the January window.

Players out on loan could be recalled if we start to looked stretched. Pick up 6 points or so from our next 7 games and I don't think we'll see much movement to be honest.

That’s where we went wrong last season though we had points on board but didn’t strengthen and it nearly cost us

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here