Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Where is the best Cheese Ploughmans in Sussex

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I had a fabulous Ploughman's at the Six Bells in Chiddingly last September. Some great cheeses, championed by a quite superb Sussex Cheddar, home made chutneys, none of your bottled Branston nonsense. Superb artisan homemade bread all washed down with some fine ale. Luvverly it was too!

TNBA

TTF

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I've been trying to cut down on cheese since Christmas but this thread got me looking in the fridge and I found some unopened Colton Bassett Stilton with a Use By date of 6th Jan. Tasted OK. A great place for just before use by date cheese is the Open Market. Will deffo check out the Royal Oak. Thanks for the recommendation.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks to all those who recommended the Coach & Horses for a good ploughman's.

@Giraffe invited me to join him this lunchtime to try it, and we had a very decent lunch.

Not a ploughman's though - it seems this is a seasonal offering, and that season is not winter. We both had nachos (one with meat chilli and one with vegan chilli) and they were good.

We shall return later in the year when ploughman's makes its seasonal reappearance.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm getting well out of my element here, but is a pork pie ploughman's just a ploughman's with pork pie added to it?
Been a while since I've had one but a lot of places make you choose don't they? e.g. cheddar or ham or pork pie? For me it needs to have all of these, and several cheeses, to be decent.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Thanks to all those who recommended the Coach & Horses for a good ploughman's.

@Giraffe invited me to join him this lunchtime to try it, and we had a very decent lunch.

Not a ploughman's though - it seems this is a seasonal offering, and that season is not winter. We both had nachos (one with meat chilli and one with vegan chilli) and they were good.

We shall return later in the year when ploughman's makes its seasonal reappearance.
The very friendly bar lady explained " a lot of people have been asking for that, but it's not a winter dish". Their principle on this appears to over rule their desire for money. I shall be lobbying for summer to start in February in North Durrington in future.

The Nachos and company were however very nice.

Confirmation as to whether the Royal Oak in Wineham is currently offering a Ploughmans needed please.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
:thumbsup: It’s the finest condiment known to mankind.
It’s not a condiment. It’s a relish.

573DA70E-0A6D-4AE6-A6AC-C31ABCB4D4C7.jpeg

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The very friendly bar lady explained " a lot of people have been asking for that, but it's not a winter dish". Their principle on this appears to over rule their desire for money. I shall be lobbying for summer to start in February in North Durrington in future.

The Nachos and company were however very nice.

Confirmation as to whether the Royal Oak in Wineham is currently offering a Ploughmans needed please.
Oh dear oh dear. l'm afraid l can't think of anything less "English" than nachos, as far different from a ploughman's lunch as it's possible to get.. I'm glad you enjoyed the company though!

Yes the Royal Oak are most definately still serving a choice of ploughmans, ( a range of differentg cheeses, cold meats etc.) It's a very popular choice on their menu year round.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Oh dear oh dear. l'm afraid l can't think of anything less "English" than nachos, as far different from a ploughman's lunch as it's possible to get.. I'm glad you enjoyed the company though!

Yes the Royal Oak are most definately still serving a choice of ploughmans, ( a range of differentg cheeses, cold meats etc.) It's a very popular choice on their menu year round.
You're right it was an odd replacement, but I just fancied them.

Lovely. @Bozza that's our next venue sorted then.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
This isn’t a terribly helpful anecdote but is tangentially related to the topic…

I once got hospitalised for four days in London after eating a contaminated Ploughman’s sandwich from Pret A Manger on Carnaby Street. They got shut down by the council for a week after I complained to the council. Never been to a Pret A Manger since.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Reviving this as mentioning The Swan on another thread reminded me I had a cracking ploughman's at the Swan last week. Not had a ploughman''s for yonks and very much enjoyed it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Reviving this as mentioning The Swan on another thread reminded me I had a cracking ploughman's at the Swan last week. Not had a ploughman''s for yonks and very much enjoyed it.
Falmer?

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
I had a rather nice three-cheese (Brie, Cheddar and Stilton) and ham Ploughman's at the Flying Fish in Denton a few weeks ago.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The internet tells me this is it. Decent but I’m not sure about that bread. I’d like a nice crusty bread and that looks a bit roll/bap/cob like. I appreciate this is a level of fussiness beyond every day problems.

View attachment 156141
What's that slug like thing on the plate, a gherkin on a cheese ploughmans. The world's gone mad.

And pate as well. It's supposed to be a cheese ploughmans.

I'm going for a nap, I can't cope with this madness

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I have to recommend the Three Horseshoes in Elsted,... classic village/country pub, views and great ales ... plus.... the best Ploughman's since one of my locals here in Somerset.... ( Crown at Churchill)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here