Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Where is the best Cheese Ploughmans in Sussex

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Royal Oak at Wineham
Very much this. Not only do you get a decent ploughmans but the pub itself is proper chocolate box.

Also, you never know when you are going to stumble on one of their little events like carribean day (complete with bands and food)

The last two times ive been we also had a farmer bring 10 or so workers in on a trailer behind his tractor and a horse rider pull up and tether her steed to the lovely walnut tree whist she hada couple of pints.

Top stuff!

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I am with you on this. I thought a Ploughman's was bread, cheese, butter, maybe a pickled onion. However I once had a ploughmans that had no cheese. When I asked they said "oh you want a cheese ploughmans". Seems like an oxymoron but it's a thing apparently, hence the thread title.
We can't give in to these people, it's the thin end of the wedge.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Looks like a revisit to the Coach and Horses is on the cards but will definitely also check out the Royal Oak at Wineham. Presumably like all Royal Oak pubs it is names after the famous escape from the Parliamentarians of Charles II. Lovely.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's the fella. It was on the tip of my tongue. Well actually it wasn't because I don't like it. But I accept it is a traditional element of a Ploughmans along with pickles.
:thumbsup: It’s the finest condiment known to mankind.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Looks like a revisit to the Coach and Horses is on the cards but will definitely also check out the Royal Oak at Wineham. Presumably like all Royal Oak pubs it is names after the famous escape from the Parliamentarians of Charles II. Lovely.
Proper olde worlde pub…….since 1700s (building is much older). They don’t even use an electric till, just keep the cash in wooden drawers :thumbsup:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've just viewed the Royal Oak's sample menu.

Interesting options of Ploughmans:

Ploughmans Boards

(individual item £8.95)
Cave-aged mature cheddar, brie or Stilton (v) (mixed £10.95)

Sussex rare roast beef, oven baked ham or Farmhouse pate (mixed £11.95)

Smoked salmon, sweet-cured herring or shell-on prawns (mixed £12.95)

Farmhouse Scotch eggs or pork pie £10.95

The Royal Oak platter (your choice of ploughman’s with a cup of today’s soup…) £10.95

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
And the Coach and Horses sample menu:

3hr Slowcooked ham, stilton or cheddar Ploughman’s (Deal) £12.00
served with pickled onion, gherkin, piccalilli, slaw, onion chutney, apple, crown tomato, pork pie, salad & charred bread

Just me being a grumpy git but "slaw" should be coleslaw and "charred bread" otherwise known as toast.

Still it sounds good and I might have to visit soon.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
And the Coach and Horses sample menu:

3hr Slowcooked ham, stilton or cheddar Ploughman’s (Deal) £12.00
served with pickled onion, gherkin, piccalilli, slaw, onion chutney, apple, crown tomato, pork pie, salad & charred bread

Just me being a grumpy git but "slaw" should be coleslaw and "charred bread" otherwise known as toast.

Still it sounds good and I might have to visit soon.
And be aware that the pork pie may be replaced by "a bit of old ham".

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
The Coach & Horses, along the A27 at Clapham (West of Worthing). Mrs Bobkin and I went there last summer and were amazed by the quality and portion size. Nice pub

You'll have to try the Sussex Ale onion rings at the Coach and Horses too and report back on the other thread.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Whilst I agree they are nice to make at home, a Sunday walk is missing something without a proper pub plougman's in summer.

But I'm a fraud, I like them with brie.

Sorry.
Ha! me too, Brie and anything blue, the stinkier the better. Oh, and celery, l like celery with my cheese.

Celery! celery!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Whilst I agree they are nice to make at home, a Sunday walk is missing something without a proper pub plougman's in summer.

But I'm a fraud, I like them with brie.

Sorry.
Capture.PNG

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
By chance, just came across this thread which, although a bit old now, may provide further guidance...

Good spot. HOWEVER, one of the recommendations was the Black Rabbit in Arundel. Great pub, great location, rubbish Ploughmans. So much so that when I last went they’d taken it off the menu.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Good spot. HOWEVER, one of the recommendations was the Black Rabbit in Arundel. Great pub, great location, rubbish Ploughmans. So much so that when I last went they’d taken it off the menu.
It beggars belief that a pub can make a bad ploughman's, l mean it isn't rocket science, a good choice of cheese, fresh crusty bread, couple of pickled onions, a little bit of salady stuff, and chutney. Jobs done.

As the late great BG pointed out in the earlier thread, the mistakes that many pubs make is adding items to the dish that would never be on a classic ploughman's lunch, thereby complicating it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here