Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There was no risk of him leaving in January though. We saw that with Caicedo.

Chelsea are in the very same situation with Mount.

They have asked for 70 million.

So why would we have a set 45 million when he's worth more than that amount given he's the same age, same contract and better than Mount is.
The Caicedo situation is different. He had 2.5 years left on his contract and can't run it down quite so easily, refusing him a January move is less risky than refusing a player with 18 months.

Chelsea can ask for what they like, but lets see what they get.

He is only worth more than £45M with 2 years on his contract, with 18 months left, as he would have had in January, that is probably about right. With 12 months as he would have had this coming window, about £30M tops, 6 months, less than £10M, and f*** all next summer.

You should be asking why he would sign a new contract just before the World Cup, when his hand was only going to get stronger? The reason appears to be that he had a clause that would not push the transfer fee required to get him up so much that a move became much less likely.

Or he could have been going for 60 million. Like Mount could.
Or for free next Summer. Like Mount could, if Chelsea don't lower their expectations. They are gambling, they might win, but they have a weak hand and everyone knows it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The Caicedo situation is different. He had 2.5 years left on his contract and can't run it down quite so easily, refusing him a January move is less risky than refusing a player with 18 months.

Chelsea can ask for what they like, but lets see what they get.

He is only worth more than £45M with 2 years on his contract, with 18 months left, as he would have had in January, that is probably about right. With 12 months as he would have had this coming window, about £30M tops, 6 months, less than £10M, and f*** all next summer.

You should be asking why he would sign a new contract just before the World Cup, when his hand was only going to get stronger? The reason appears to be that he had a clause that would not push the transfer fee required to get him up so much that a move became much less likely.

Because he could have had a terrible tournament or gotten badly injured.

Plenty of reasons for him to have signed a new contract that don't involve convoluted theories.

Or for free next Summer. Like Mount could, if Chelsea don't lower their expectations. They are gambling, they might win, but they have a weak hand and everyone knows it.

And yet we have a master gambler that time and time again has proven he can get more out of a transfer than others expected.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
0_FBL-ENG-PR-BRIGHTON-MAN-UTD.jpg
newFile-1.jpg
imago1020772053h.jpg

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Cooor amazing that -

Alexis Mac Allister has been given permission by Brighton to undergo a medical as he closes in on a move to Liverpool.

Personal terms have already been agreed with the Argentina international, who is expected to sign a five-year contract.

Liverpool were able to trigger a clause in the new contract he signed last October. The fee is likely to be undisclosed but is understood to be in the region of £45million.

Naylor saying £55m, but The Athletic are saying £45m!!!

The actual article says 'in excess of £45m', rather than 'in the region of'. Sounds like £45m plus various add-ons, possibly of around £10m to get to the £55m cited by Naylor.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Let the anger flow. Targets: Romano, Barber for allowing the contract clause, random Liverpool fans online, the wife, the family pet

Whatever the amount the one thing we can all agree on is that he has been a fantastic servant to the club. A wonderful man who's partly responsible for our increase in profile and goes down as one of the greats and definitely one of the very best to wear the stripes. Good luck Ale Mac x
Nah, he can get f***ed.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I would have thought £60m a decent price, £55m is close enough, £45m in my view is a bit of a giveaway, but hey ho if Tony is happy then I'm happy.

Still we got a full season out of Alexis, who I thought played excellently until the very last game. Mac gave his all and I wish him further success in his career. Glad this has been sorted quickly. Just the Caceido circus to get out of the way now and of course some incomings too!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You can tell it's the off-season when:

a) fans are arguing about how ITK various football-related tweeters are;
b) fans are saying 'we' sold a player too cheap, when the club has a decent recent history of turning a good profit on players and generally knowing what they are doing;
c) whether or not there was a release clause/mechanism/combination code lock/riddle from 3-2-1 in Ali Mac's contract;
d) who knew what (and when) about the specific details of possibly the most NAILED ON transfer of the window. Who cares? Why does it matter? He was ALWAYS going to go...

Onwards and upwards and good luck to the fella!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Whatever the amount the one thing we can all agree on is that he has been a fantastic servant to the club. A wonderful man who's partly responsible for our increase in profile and goes down as one of the greats and definitely one of the very best to wear the stripes. Good luck Ale Mac x
Indeed. Our Albion World Cup winner. Immortal really.

I wish him all the best.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Whatever happens. We had a moment where a Brighton player was incredible in the World Cup final and lifted the trophy. We are used to it now but imagine if someone had said that 5 years ago. They would have been laughed out of town. What an achievement.

It sounds like he was brilliant with young South Americans we signed so maybe now they can step up for others.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The ten million will clearly be very achievable add ons like Champions League qualification, maybe a trophy and that. Would expect to realise about 50 million minimum eh. Which isn't a bad return.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The ten million will clearly be very achievable add ons like Champions League qualification, maybe a trophy and that. Would expect to realise about 50 million minimum eh. Which isn't a bad return.
Minus the sell-on to Argentinos Juniors of course - unless that was bought out when we did that deal to bring him back early from the loan.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yeah it may be a bit cheap, but in the grand scheme of things, it's our third highest transfer fee, with a chance of rising to our 2nd highest.
TB doesn't need to make the extra £10m on this that he could.
He is saving that for when the going gets tough with the Caicedo bids this summer.

It may also help us shake the reputation we are starting to get of only being interested in making as much cash as possible from sales.

I believe this is a perfect move for Mac.
He will be working with one of the best Head coaches, competing at the elite level, with a high likelihood of a starting place, within a rebuilt Liverpool.
The club will take plaudits for being crucial in his development and facilitating in the ideal move for him.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Now THERE'S one guy who will only ever be booed by absolute muppets whenever our two clubs meet anytime soon. Macca is a class act, both on and off the pitch :bowdown:

Hopefully his dad won't up-furk his son's Albion legacy too much :lol:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It’s sad really.

Yes I know who we are bla bla bla but it’s such a shame to see him go, and not even to a team playing in the CL next season…

Call my cynical or fickle but I think his dad has been playing the strings in the background for ages wanting this move and he’s got his wish, Alexis is a very humble and decent human being but his dads actions have been poor throughout, it was rumoured in December time he was meeting with reps from Liverpool.

The competitor in me finds it hard to be magnanimous about this move, I get it, but we’ve probably got the best squad we’ve ever had right now and it feels like we are ripe to the picking of the vultures, losing Mac and Caicedo risks the whole underpinning of the way we play, yes we can sign replacements but nothing is guaranteed.

Football eh….

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Even £55m seems cheap, not entirely happy with this TBH.

Yes trust Tony and the club, but even so it's tough to take.
There obviously is a clause otherwise he wouldn’t be that cheap, and the clause would then have been a condition of getting him to sign a contract pre World Cup as without that he’d now be going for a lot less or running down a contract and we’d get nothing. It is what it is and it’s still good profit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here