Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Where in Sussex

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Whilst looking myself at areas (Im moving to Eastbourne after 10 yrs away from Sussex) Bexhill popped up as quite a nice looking place to be, whats it like there anyone? Worthy of a day trip with the kids? Is the beach sandy?

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Whilst looking myself at areas (Im moving to Eastbourne after 10 yrs away from Sussex) Bexhill popped up as quite a nice looking place to be, whats it like there anyone? Worthy of a day trip with the kids? Is the beach sandy?

:ohmy: Might want to do some research before moving to Bexhill. May have been nice once upon a time.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Ok, thanks NSC, Crawley it is.....

I had never thought about Arundel but looks a really good fit with Climping nearby, avoiding the inmates.

Also Rottingdean, ticks several of the boxes especially the sea.

Steyning, Upper Beeding and Ditchling are great options.

Lewes too big? Cuckfield passport and local characters appealing but too inland i think. So many others.

I might do a week trip including Rottingdean, Ditchling, Steyning and Uppper Beeding then Arundel. As well as some of the seaside towns recomended.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Ok, thanks NSC, Crawley it is.....

I had never thought about Arundel but looks a really good fit with Climping nearby, avoiding the inmates.

Also Rottingdean, ticks several of the boxes especially the sea.

Steyning, Upper Beeding and Ditchling are great options.

Lewes too big? Cuckfield passport and local characters appealing but too inland i think. So many others.

I might do a week trip including Rottingdean, Ditchling, Steyning and Uppper Beeding then Arundel. As well as some of the seaside towns recomended.

If you’re doing a trip and including Ditchling, take a tour of all the villages on the north edge of the Downs... Hurstpierpoint, Hassocks, Ditchling, Plumpton are all different shapes and sizes and one may suit. Hassocks the most town-like, Ditchling smaller and expensive, Plumpton perhaps a nice middle ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2003

A while ago I saw this comment about Bexhill.

They say that Bexhill is where people go to die - they are wrong, that is Eastbourne. Bexhill is where their parents live!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
SE England has largely become suffocating IMO, even 10 years ago there was a lot more green space. Development has eaten so much into 'semi-rural' areas I'd call most urban now. Can't get down residential roads for cars anymore, parking is out of control now. 4 or 5 cars/vans even coaches(!) are common for each semi-detached household. Those that converted front gardens can only get a one on the drive, still leaving 3 or 4 more vehicles because grown up kids can't afford to move out. Multiply that by 100 houses in a single everyday residential road and they're obstacle courses these days with verges destroyed and solid rows of cars half blocking pavements everywhere. And god forbid if you live within a mile of railways station, business park or some shops. Developers build new houses with one/possibly two car parking spaces when they should be forced to build each with enough for 4 more like (when considering 4 bedrooms are likely to be rented out, by a buy to let landlord who appear to be the only ones that can afford/milk the youngsters and kill their dreams). And that's before anyone has a visitor!

France looks increasingly appealing, work remotely, enjoy more space and better bread :)

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Ferring?

Very good community and amenities for those of, ahem, advancing years.

Ferring has a fabulous village identity, not as many pubs as the OP might like but otherwise answers all the questions with nearby Worthing (Goring by Sea), Rustington and Angmering. Wonderful area, on the seashore and adjacent the South Downs, especially wonderful if you have a dog to exercise.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Ferring has a fabulous village identity, not as many pubs as the OP might like but otherwise answers all the questions with nearby Worthing (Goring by Sea), Rustington and Angmering. Wonderful area, on the seashore and adjacent the South Downs, especially wonderful if you have a dog to exercise.

Yes,that reminds me goring isn't actually quite nice too.that bit of beach between ferring and west Worthing is really nice with the fields and the grass area.close enough to main Worthing for a pint as well.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Some NSC advice would be helpful.

After several decades away I’m thinking that perhaps i should return to Sussex. I used to live in Hove but I’m thinking more of a small town or large village. Needs to have a thriving community, so pubs (maybe three or four), some shops, a few restaurants etc. Ideally on or close to the sea but not necessarily. Needs to be sellable to the better half who quite likes picturesque.

Where in Sussex would you recommend me to check out?

Do what me and the Mrs did when we decided to move down. We started the other side of Worthing and then headed along the coast and near coast towns and villages (missing out B&H) all the way to Hastings. Took us 3 days (staying in a couple of very nice places en route) but at the end of it we were pretty well decided between two places ... it was then just waiting for the right house to show up

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Do what me and the Mrs did when we decided to move down. We started the other side of Worthing and then headed along the coast and near coast towns and villages (missing out B&H) all the way to Hastings. Took us 3 days (staying in a couple of very nice places en route) but at the end of it we were pretty well decided between two places ... it was then just waiting for the right house to show up

Seaford then for you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here