Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where do we need to strengthen?

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
a more mobile, ball playing defender to play alongside greer or upson (if we can get him on a free)
a left back as can't see bridge staying
creative central midfielder (& get forster-caskey playing next season)
1 attacking midfielder who can play in the hole, or play out wide if needed (to replace vicente - cant see him staying)
we already have ulloa and barnes up front who can score, with cms & hoskins to back up, and adgestein and barkley coming through, i dont think we need another striker and would like to see them given a chance until january if it's not working out

LDN

Sep 22, 2011
London
We need youth and this is why I cannot wait for the new training facilities to be completed, we will produce a lot of future stars.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don't really get all the backing for Roberto Di Matteo. Is it because we have a lot of people here that watched Chelsea in the Withdean years? I thought he was unpopular within the club at West Brom and all he did after AVB was reunite the dressing room.

In any case would he come especially as Gus is one of his best mates? If the situations as hopeless as Poyet intimated, then why would he?

I think either TB would have a real left-field candidate in mind again or we'd get someone like Kenny Jackett - honourable, stable, started the Swansea revolution, long term with the club at heart rather than personal ambitions.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Ok so let's say they go....de Matteo in? De Matteo wasn't exactly brilliant at mk dons and I think his term at Chelsea was more to do with the team and the fact that they were all mates together than his skill as a manager hence ambramovitch got rid of him.

Didn't he finish 3rd with MK Dons in his first season as a manager? Then got automatic promotion from the Championship with West Brom in his 2nd year as a manager. Then won the Champions League in his 4th year as a manager. Not a bad run overall.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So do people think upson and bridge will stay? And bridcutt and Lopez?

Upson can't get into the squad of a relegation-threatened Prem team - he's at the right level now. I think he'll stay. I think Lopez will stay too - he's good but not Prem good. Bridcutt will deffo go, really not sure about Bridge. He could play in the Prem but he seems to like it here and he can't be short of a bob or two - he could stay.

One thing that is very clear is that we need younger players. Palace were fitter and pacier than we were - seven of our starting eleven were 30 or over and,TBH, it showed. It's not a question of youth, we need players in their mid-20s. Van Dijk would be a start but, as others have said, we need a driving midfielder most of all

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Didn't he finish 3rd with MK Dons in his first season as a manager? Then got automatic promotion from the Championship with West Brom in his 2nd year as a manager. Then won the Champions League in his 4th year as a manager. Not a bad run overall.

I stand corrected...I thought he was rubbish there..LOL

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
As said elsewhere, we need to see who stays and what happens with Gus first. I would be surprised if Bridge stayed, although if he is enjoying it here then it is not impossible. He will want first team football, which limits the Premier League teams he will go to. I am hopeful that Upson and Lopez will stay if Gus does. With Bridcutt, I do think he will go but it will take an offer of at least £5 million in my view and that will hopefully be reinvested in the team.

On top of that, we could do with another keeper (along with Ankergren) to back up Kuszczak. I am hopeful we will see a lot more of players like Bruno, Crofts, Buckley and LuaLua if we can get them fit all season. In defence, even with Upson staying, we need another centre half (probably meaning El Abd leaves sadly) and two left backs, first choice and back up. In midfield, I agree we need a big strong midfielder who will get stuck in and bully teams (which we don't do enough). Finally, another winger (given KLL and Buckley's injury records) would give us more options and another forward would be good.

Not sure we will get all of them but we signed 8 players and all but Dobbie were good signings so I trust Gus to do the same for next season. Maybe a few more Spaniards who turn out to be great!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We need someone strong in the middle who can drive the game forward, split defences and bridge the chasm between the midfield and our lone striker. At times over the last two games Ulloa has been in the same position CMS was earlier in the season effectively chasing down and holding up lost causes with little or no support

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Pace through the middle. A midfielder to get into the box while also helping to take the pressure of Bridcutt (easier said than done even if Bridcutt doesn't leave).

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
We need and have needed for some time a midfielder who bosses the game. Bridders is great as a holding midfielder but we don't have anyone who makes things happen with his vision and skill.

I hear Lampard will be out of contract soon :jester:

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
We need someone strong in the middle who can drive the game forward, split defences and bridge the chasm between the midfield and our lone striker. At times over the last two games Ulloa has been in the same position CMS was earlier in the season effectively chasing down and holding up lost causes with little or no support

Top man, so succinct, two legs no goals, a lone striker, who's responsible for that?

Ketchy

Steve Fosters Sweat Band
May 19, 2009
Seaford
Some good young hungry players from arsenal and Man U reserve teams on loan( serge gnabry,Thomas eisfield, iggy Miguel ) a midfield enforcer big tall( micheal boostwick, liam trotter) and some pace up front (DJ Campbell , leroy lita style !!!!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Some good young hungry players from arsenal and Man U reserve teams on loan( serge gnabry,Thomas eisfield, iggy Miguel ) a midfield enforcer big tall( micheal boostwick, liam trotter) and some pace up front (DJ Campbell , leroy lita style !!!!

I agree that we need to strengthen and hungry young players from Prem clubs is one option but would they want to die for the cause?

Trotter might give us a bit more bite and maybe a few goals but has gone right off the boil at Millwall and DJ Campbell was hopeless against us at Portman Road and got subbed early. Hasn't exactly been pulling up trees at his next club. So I'm not sure those two would significantly improve us or turn us into automatic promotion contenders.

I think the defence is a priority. We know that Upson and Bridge would be handy signings plus gives continuity. However Bridge may well follow the money elsewhere. So I suspect we will need a decent LB and ideally another more mobile CB. VvD would be great, but don't know if he'll fancy Championship footie now. If VvD does come here then that would be an excellent start and statement of intent.

I also think there is the 'Gus' factor in attracting certain players. If Gus leaves and we appoint someone capable but with a lower profile then there may not be so many flair signings.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Agree an attacking Midfielder is a must or maybe playing 2 strikers is the answer. Ulloa had no support on Monday and that's why he looked so bad

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here