Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where do we need to strengthen?

Feb 3, 2013
Not taking selling players into account (but taking loan players into account)
New LB
Back up GK
Fast second striker, better than CMS
Reasonably quick attacking midfielder, to play with dave who isn't as fast
We'll keep dave and upson I think, maybe Vicente, maybe bridcutt, not bridge though

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Buckley is devastating on his day but he is inconsistent.

I think we could use a quick centreback, and a more mobile centre mid (Hammond always looks so flatfooted). A backup keeper and striker would be nice too

Buckley may well be devastating 'on his day', it's just that we haven't seen his 'day' yet!. To me he is overrated and hasn't really performed all season, In no way at all, a million pound player.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We need to strengthen our resolve, learn how to break down stubborn defences and play with more desire.

Once they scored you just knew that it was game over!

One of the worst results in my 35+ years of being a supporter as far as pain is concerned, I wasn't too concerned whether or not we got promoted but rolling over and getting our bellies tickled by our fiercest rivals AGAIN will stick in the memory for a long time!

Our players have the ability but lack mental strength is the way I see it.

Agreed. They have had much the better of all recent matches except the 3-0 in March. They came back well in the 2nd half on Friday and just seemed to have a clear plan that worked last night. It was yet another game where we could have perhaps should have but didn't. Less of these and we probably would not have needed the playoffs. We need a plan b,c,d for next season!

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Manager - Poyet will be off, even if he stays he will go at the first prem Job offered next season. He has got us playing some great football but was found to be his one dimensional old self last night. After all the slagging off of Holloway, he showed that experience counts. He had one asset and used him to beat our slow team.
We need a manager who will switch formations and play with pace. I am not anti poyet and would like hime to stay for another season - I just can't see it, so hope he goes early, we get some decent compensation and get Matteo in.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Agreed. They have had much the better of all recent matches except the 3-0 in March. They came back well in the 2nd half on Friday and just seemed to have a clear plan that worked last night. It was yet another game where we could have perhaps should have but didn't. Less of these and we probably would not have needed the playoffs. We need a plan b,c,d for next season!

If I'm honest then Palace were bossing that match too until we scored rather against the run of play which opened them up and allowed us to play our game.

Mr-N

Mar 31, 2012
I think Bridcutt will go in the summer in my opinion.

If we could find a complete midfielder who can hold up the ball well, and also have a half decent shot on him it'd be a worthy replacement.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It would not surprise me if bridge gets a premiership contract, upson and bridcutt like wise. I think if Gus goes, tannio will go with him and depending on who replaces them will decide wether our foreign contingent stay.

Ok so let's say they go....de Matteo in? Go for someone really huge like Benitez? Or look to Europe like Southampton have done. De Matteo wasn't exactly brilliant at mk dons and I think his term at Chelsea was more to do with the team and the fact that they were all mates together than his skill as a manager hence ambramovitch got rid of him.

There are some decent teams coming down and the likes of Bolton and Leicester will be strong next year...I don't buy this we are favourites to win automatic promotion.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Another game where we haven't won from behind.

Need a powerful pacey centre back, a new right back, a powerful pacey centre midfielder, and a striker.

And replace those who will leave.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Intresting when I think about last season we all pretty much agreed what was required and To be fair we got what we wished for with a keeper, centre back, left back and target man the problem was we did not have this team in place for the start of the season and I think it was this and this alone that cost us automatic promotion

now looking at what we have I think it's very close to what is required I guess We need strengthen in depth another centre back, cover for left back, creative battling midfielder and a spare forward

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So do people think upson and bridge will stay? And bridcutt and Lopez?

Mr-N

Mar 31, 2012
So do people think upson and bridge will stay? And bridcutt and Lopez?

Upson seems to be enjoying it - think he will.

Bridge - could be tempted to a mid level Premiership side where he'll get regular starts.

Bridcutt - I can't see as much I wish he would.

Spanish Dave - up in the air as his contract is expiring soon.

All 4 have been decent this season, wish they all would stay.

Whatever will be will be though.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I'm not completely convinced about Bridcutt. We seemed to win ok when he was suspended and sometimes lacks vision and slows things up. Definitely needs a driving midfielder beside him and a defence splitting passer too if poss.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
I'm sorry but I will have to disagree with you, I thought he was wasteful with all his crosses and got out muscled far too easily, look at Zaha he was a handful, strong, good finisher and delivered dangerous balls and won all their corners.

Love the bloke and he is a legend but he hasn't had his best two games over the last two legs

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Lopez yes, Upson yes, Bridge yes, Bridcutt no.

I hope you're right about Bridge, but would say he's the least likely. At least we know we can get a nice bit of transfer kitty for Bridcutt.

I think that there's a lot of potential in the CMS and Ulloa partnership if the manager - whoever that may be - plays to their strengths.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here