Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Where can you buy the most expensive pint of Harvey's in the world?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I know we grumble at the price at The Amex, but what if I told you there's a pub, not in that there London but in Sussex, in fact less than 8 miles from Falmer, where a Pint of Harvey's Sussex Best will set you back £6.50 ?

Yes indeed, a pub where a pint in there after the Brentford game set me back six pounds and fifty pence.

Surely the winner for the most expensive pint of Harvey's in the world goes to The Railway, by Portslade station.

unless, of course, NSC knows better :unsure:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
£6.50?

I know pubs are under pressure and I don't belittle that, but sorry, that's way too much money for a pint of bitter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What's the pub like? If the staff, surroundings and clientele are nice then maybe it is justified?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Well it's next to Portslade station, so I'm guessing it's not justified on any of those grounds.
Hahaha. Yeh, but to be fair it's an ok pub if you like that sort of thing

I always think those pubs either side of the station are a microcosm of our divided society. One, fairly rough and ready, working class type place. One ultra gentrified, £6.50 a pint type place with nice cushions and children called Tarquin playing on an ipad. They may as well have leave and remain written on the front doors

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

I always think those pubs either side of the station are a microcosm of our divided society. One, fairly rough and ready, working class type place. One ultra gentrified, £6.50 a pint type place with nice cushions and children called Tarquin playing on an ipad. They may as well have leave and remain written on the front doors
I think I've been in it, in that I've definitely been in one of the pubs by Portslade Station. But that was a few years ago so they may have done it up. "Pleasant but inconsequential" would be my three word summary.
To be honest, I tend to agree with your post above that a pint of bitter just shouldn't cost that much (yet).

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023

Is there any discussion here that doesn’t immediately get the NSC class-war hackles twitching? Seriously, why not give it a rest and just stick to chatting about beer prices?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Never paid that at these fine establishments when I were a lad in portslade :wink:

copyright-G-Moore-clarence.jpg

copyright-brighton-libraries-mill-house.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

Last edited:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
What's the pub like? If the staff, surroundings and clientele are nice then maybe it is justified?
I used to meet my dealer in there to buy coke and E's and we weren't exactly subtle about it so that might give you an idea about the Railway. Rough as sandpaper at times - especially the Pool tables side on the left.

However, a change of landlord/landlady can completely change a pub so it's probably better now - and sounds like it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think I've been in it, in that I've definitely been in one of the pubs by Portslade Station. But that was a few years ago so they may have done it up. "Pleasant but inconsequential" would be my three word summary.
To be honest, I tend to agree with your post above that a pint of bitter just shouldn't cost that much (yet).
unless it has IPA in the name, or tastes like grapefruit, then apparently its quite normal.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
A cask of Harvey’s isn’t cheap these days, especially if you’re owned by a pub group.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Cheap at half the price. The Railway is a stunning gemstone in the Crown Jewels that is the Portslade and Fishersgate pub scene.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I used to meet my dealer in there to buy coke and E's and we weren't exactly subtle about it so that might give you an idea about the Railway. Rough as sandpaper at times - especially the Pool tables side on the left.

However, a change of landlord/landlady can completely change a pub so it's probably better now - and sounds like it.
It's a bit different now :lolol:

Been bought by the people who own the George Payne in Aldrington. When I was going in there semi-regularly it was full of the sort of kids who are wearing Vans or Converse at 8, running around with an organic ice-cream while the mums get high on Prosecco. Then The Foghorn happened and I've never been back.

Once upon a time the food was very good (which is probably why they get away with the beer price). No idea if it is now.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Is there any discussion here that doesn’t immediately get the NSC class-war hackles twitching? Seriously, why not give it a rest and just stick to chatting about beer prices?
:rolleyes:

It was a JOKE and a funny one, because it's true. But of course, living the other side of Eastbourne you know everything about Portslade.....

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Been bought by the people who own the George Payne in Aldrington. When I was going in there semi-regularly it was full of the sort of kids who are wearing Vans or Converse at 8, running around with an organic ice-cream while the mums get high on Prosecco. Then The Foghorn happened and I've never been back.

Once upon a time the food was very good (which is probably why they get away with the beer price). No idea if it is now.
I have a theory that you should never go in a pub that claims to have a "friendly atmosphere".

From their websites,
The Railway Inn:
"Best known for our great food, friendly staff and welcoming atmosphere"

The Victoria:
"we guarantee you a warm welcome and friendly atmosphere"

Never going in either of those again.
Will definitely give The Foghorn a look next time I'm down.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Still much better than the large amount of Brighton pubs charging people over£7 for that dreadful Laines swill

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

Been bought by the people who own the George Payne in Aldrington . When I was going in there semi-regularly it was full of the sort of kids who are wearing Vans or Converse at 8, running around with an organic ice-cream while the mums get high on Prosecco. Then The Foghorn happened and I've never been back.

And the Poets, The Stirling (previously Foragers and before.that ....erm The Stirling), The Basketmakers, The Lewes Road and The Cricketers in Worthing.

The Stirling's my local and very nice it is too (not cheap though).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here