Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Where can you buy the most expensive pint of Harvey's in the world?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have a theory that you should never go in a pub that claims to have a "friendly atmosphere".

From their websites,
The Railway Inn:
"Best known for our great food, friendly staff and welcoming atmosphere"

The Victoria:
"we guarantee you a warm welcome and friendly atmosphere"

Never going in either of those again.
Will definitely give The Foghorn a look next time I'm down.
Excellent beers and snacks and a good crowd. The dog seems to want to drag me in there :moo: much to the amusement of @Soul Finger on Saturday.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
And the Poets, The Stirling (previously Foragers and before.that ....erm The Stirling), The Basketmakers, The Lewes Road and The Cricketers in Worthing.

The Stirling's my local and very nice it is too (not cheap though).
That's expanded more than I knew. Poets is decent. Hopefully they haven't family friendlied and organic fooded the Basketmakers and just left it how it was.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
ing in there semi-regularly it was full of the sort of kids who are wearing Vans or Converse at 8, running around with an organic ice-cream while the mums get high on Prosecco. Then The F
The 2-for-1 deals are genuinely good, especially the nachos.

It's also, as you say, a convening point for a large subset of the local Portslade family populace (of which I am a member) and hence it's pretty hard to avoid.

They had a beer festival a couple of months back which may not have gone as well as expected becuase in the week following they were chucking out absolutely delicious ales at rock bottom prices, £2 a pint maybe?

But yeah, the Foghorn is obvs better.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
The 2-for-1 deals are genuinely good, especially the nachos.

It's also, as you say, a convening point for a large subset of the local Portslade family populace (of which I am a member) and hence it's pretty hard to avoid.

They had a beer festival a couple of months back which may not have gone as well as expected becuase in the week following they were chucking out absolutely delicious ales at rock bottom prices, £2 a pint maybe?

But yeah, the Foghorn is obvs better.
My kids are older now, the couple we used to go with regularly have divorced and other old school parent friends have either discovered the Foghorn or given up drinking altogether. When it first opened it was the best Portslade pub option and probably still is for families. It's never been cheap though.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Excellent beers and snacks and a good crowd. The dog seems to want to drag me in there :moo: much to the amusement of @Soul Finger on Saturday.
A friend of mine used to live with a guy who's routine was to take their dog for a walk every Saturday lunchtime. One weekend, when he was unable to undertake this particular task, she took the dog out instead.

Imagine her surprise when the dog steadfastly refused to follow the route she had in mind and instead dragged her straight to the local pub, where it immediately settled itself down beneath the benches outside the side door and dozed off.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
That's expanded more than I knew. Poets is decent. Hopefully they haven't family friendlied and organic fooded the Basketmakers and just left it how it was.

Haven't been in the Basketmakers for years since a mildly acrimonious break up. She got The Basketmakers, The Hare and Hounds and The Prince George. I got The Prince Albert, The Bath Arms and all of Hove.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
A friend of mine used to live with a guy who's routine was to take their dog for a walk every Saturday lunchtime. One weekend, when he was unable to undertake this particular task, she took the dog out instead.

Imagine her surprise when the dog steadfastly refused to follow the route she had in mind and instead dragged her straight to the local pub, where it immediately settled itself down beneath the benches outside the side door and dozed off.
No comment.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Anyway The Stanley, is and always has been the best pub in all of Brighton and Hove if anyone fancies exploring the very Western edge of our fair city.

Harveys significantly less than £6.50 an all.

Terry Connor

Oct 21, 2022
All pubs should be legally obliged to put their prices online, up to date and easily found as well as prominent at their establishment. As it is, most of us just tap our phones/cards and try not to bat an eyelid for fear of being seen as tight.

I know it's really tough making a pub pay these days, but this would help sort out the decent from the shite value boozers.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not Harvey’s, obvs but a pint of Meantime in The Bridge now costs £6.70.

f***ing outrageous.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Harvey’s is overpriced at any price imho.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have a theory that you should never go in a pub that claims to have a "friendly atmosphere".

From their websites,
The Railway Inn:
"Best known for our great food, friendly staff and welcoming atmosphere"

The Victoria:
"we guarantee you a warm welcome and friendly atmosphere"

Never going in either of those again.
Will definitely give The Foghorn a look next time I'm down.
First thing I do is look at the measures, if there’s not at least a couple of beers for sale in 1/3s I leave.

Any beer with a name which doesn’t contain at least 4 words and a pun it’s adios.

And if I’m not greeted with “Hi guys” by someone with the lively excitable demeanor of a children’s tv presenter I move on.

Otherwise it’s find a plug socket for my iPhone and it’s game on

Easy really.

Jul 7, 2003

My Dad used to walk one of our dogs at lunchtimes after he retired. One day, we went to take the dog to to the park where my Dad used to walk the dog but the dog (on her extended lead) turned right and through the doors to the local bookies, to be greeted by name by the regulars! The dog never made it to the park when Dad walked her

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Hahaha. Yeh, but to be fair it's an ok pub if you like that sort of thing

I always think those pubs either side of the station are a microcosm of our divided society. One, fairly rough and ready, working class type place. One ultra gentrified, £6.50 a pint type place with nice cushions and children called Tarquin playing on an ipad. They may as well have leave and remain written on the front doors
I'm barred from one (well at least I've never been back since they told me). Any guesses which one?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Harvey’s is overpriced at any price imho.
Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
All pubs should be legally obliged to put their prices online, up to date and easily found as well as prominent at their establishment. As it is, most of us just tap our phones/cards and try not to bat an eyelid for fear of being seen as tight.

I know it's really tough making a pub pay these days, but this would help sort out the decent from the shite value boozers.
They should stick the prices outside like an Esso.
However it would have to be on the basis they don’t put .9 at the end to make it look cheaper

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It's a bit different now :lolol:

Been bought by the people who own the George Payne in Aldrington. When I was going in there semi-regularly it was full of the sort of kids who are wearing Vans or Converse at 8, running around with an organic ice-cream while the mums get high on Prosecco. Then The Foghorn happened and I've never been back.

Once upon a time the food was very good (which is probably why they get away with the beer price). No idea if it is now.
Glad to hear it.

I haven't been in there for well over ten years now so places change, people change and from a bad reputation, word can get about that it's been taken over and it can attract a very different sort of crowd.

Still think you take your life in your own hands if you want to cross a busy road from Portslade to Hove! The traffic is mad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here