Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where are the New signings

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Whilst I don't believe there is any cause for panic and the signings will happen. I always thought pre season was the time for team bonding, getting used to different patterns of play and formations. Getting understandings going with team mates etc etc etc. Seems a bit stupid waiting to the last minute just to save a few weeks wages, when new players could be settling in as we speak.

Exactly how I feel. Spain is a great opportunity for bonding and looking at tactics. Signing players at the last minute is counter productive as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps a bargain, perhaps better negotiation, but as we have seen with Lopez particularly, a missed pre-season does mean a new signing is playing catch up.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Come on Burke get your finger out and do what you are paid to do :censored::censored::censored:

We have no keeper and you have known about this situation for months I was hoping you would have had a plan when you did not renew the big poles contract.
Maybe he should be next on the chopping block not the poor scouts who have all been sacked recently.
The buck stops with you Burke do your job........
Calm down.I thought we were going to ban whiners.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Would help if the window wasn't open for so long. Should shut a month earlier IMO.

Too much time for dicking about and trying to play hardball across the football world.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Exactly how I feel. Spain is a great opportunity for bonding and looking at tactics. Signing players at the last minute is counter productive as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps a bargain, perhaps better negotiation, but as we have seen with Lopez particularly, a missed pre-season does mean a new signing is playing catch up.

Lopez, Orlandi, Hammond and Crofts were all signed late on in the August 2012 window (last couple of days I think). They all did well enough that year!

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Come on Burke get your finger out and do what you are paid to do :censored::censored::censored:

We have no keeper and you have known about this situation for months I was hoping you would have had a plan when you did not renew the big poles contract.
Maybe he should be next on the chopping block not the poor scouts who have all been sacked recently.
The buck stops with you Burke do your job........

Chill. Good things come to those who wait. :D

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Lopez, Orlandi, Hammond and Crofts were all signed late on in the August 2012 window (last couple of days I think). They all did well enough that year!

Crofts had poor first season on his return if I recall, last season he came good. Lopez was hopeless for a number of games, hence the thread 'what does he do'. He also got better that year. Orlandi out of all of them, but undoubtedly got stronger. Hammond..... Not really.

Whilst they all came good it took time for them to bed in.......So sorry, no I don't agree at all :)

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The transfer window doesn't close until late August and to be honest that's when we seem to have done most of our business in the past. Think we might just have to accept we'll be thin on numbers for the first few games and we can't compete financially with the 11 or 12 clubs in the Championship who have parachute payments this season. Same every year I'm afraid. I think we've punched well above our weight over the last 3 years IMO.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The transfer window doesn't close until late August and to be honest that's when we seem to have done most of our business in the past. Think we might just have to accept we'll be thin on numbers for the first few games and we can't compete financially with the 11 or 12 clubs in the Championship who have parachute payments this season. Same every year I'm afraid. I think we've punched well above our weight over the last 3 years IMO.

I agree but bottom line is we have money from recent sales and bloom says we will strengthen so there is no reason we can't be good to go august 9th .

It's just the fans are desperate , desperate for some signings after what happened last summer .

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
we have got to be patient and the signings will come . the club are trying to bring in the right player to suit the way we are going to play under hyypia and we dont know what the club are doing behind the scenes

Well said, that man.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I agree but bottom line is we have money from recent sales and bloom says we will strengthen so there is no reason we can't be good to go august 9th .

It's just the fans are desperate , desperate for some signings after what happened last summer .

I agree but I suspect most of January's money that came in for Bridcutt, El-Abd, and Barnes went towards paying off debts and paying £500k for Stephens. Also whose to say all the Bridcutt money was paid upfront? - so many deals these days see payments made over 2 or 3 years - I'm not saying this happened here but it's a possibility which may also happen if Ulloa goes for a reported £7m - how much of that will be paid upfront???

I want some news over new additions like everyone but suspect nothing will happen until the squad returns from Spain in 10 days time, and then I suspect it will be largely loans or free transfers. I honestly have a horrible feeling that finances behind the scenes on an 'operating basis' (forget the money paid by TB for the training facility) are in a poor state regardless of our large crowds. I'm no finance expert but rumours I've been hearing suggest the playing budget for this season is extremely tight. Even Ulloa's likely transfer will probably see most of his fee go to propping up the club this season. I think many more youngsters are going to get their chance this season.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I agree but I suspect most of January's money that came in for Bridcutt, El-Abd, and Barnes went towards paying off debts and paying £500k for Stephens. Also whose to say all the Bridcutt money was paid upfront? - so many deals these days see payments made over 2 or 3 years - I'm not saying this happened here but it's a possibility which may also happen if Ulloa goes for a reported £7m - how much of that will be paid upfront???

I want some news over new additions like everyone but suspect nothing will happen until the squad returns from Spain in 10 days time, and then I suspect it will be largely loans or free transfers. I honestly have a horrible feeling that finances behind the scenes on an 'operating basis' (forget the money paid by TB for the training facility) are in a poor state regardless of our large crowds. I'm no finance expert but rumours I've been hearing suggest the playing budget for this season is extremely tight. Even Ulloa's likely transfer will probably see most of his fee go to propping up the club this season. I think many more youngsters are going to get their chance this season.
If this turns out to be the case that will be a complete show of no ambition and I feel for the Season ticket sales in the future.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
???

Even Ulloa's likely transfer will probably see most of his fee go to propping up the club this season. I think many more youngsters are going to get their chance this season.

I have heard this as well, things are not to rosy on the finance front but think that is to be expected with the large outlays on the stadium and training ground

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
If this turns out to be the case that will be a complete show of no ambition and I feel for the Season ticket sales in the future.

In fairness, if this turns out to be the case it is not a show of no ambition, it would just be very worrying considering we get such good crowds. However, I think it is complete rubbish and people are really enjoying stirring and winding people up. The reality is that we're trying to get the right players and so are lots of Championship clubs. So, rather than panic and buy anyone, we're trying to get the right player for the right deal.

In an ideal world everything would be in place but, except for Birmingham and Rotherham (who have bought lots of pretty average players), most teams haven't got their squad in place so it's not the end of the world.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
...still at their current clubs would be my guess.

Hope that helps..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here