Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where are all the right wing stand-up comedians?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
What's your point though? I don't get it.

Racist is racist, right? Whatever political persuasion you are. I was asking about right wing comedians other than the ones you pointed to - ie. the racist ones. Again, where are they?

An introduction to left wing politics? *baffled*

You are way off.

Your post:

Eh? Left wing comedians tell jokes about other things than than the right wing though? Where are the right wing comedians telling jokes that aren't racist.

What you are essentially saying is that the right is racist. If someone is of the right, they are racist. Simple as that.

Now go back and read my original posts, because you demonstrate my point.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
any article with that knobhead Clarkson has my brain going into ignore mode

Likewise. Very selective and self-serving article.

robynsdad

Jan 29, 2012
Likewise. Very selective and self-serving article.

It's a piece in the Express, written by James Delingpole and with a picture of Clarkson.
I find it hard to imagine a combination more likely to cause me to disagree with whatever is written (and having forced myself to read a couple of paragraphs I find I don't actually disagree with it that strongly, if at all, but would still argue against it purely on principle).

On the wider issue I struggle with what kind of definitions people are using for 'right wing'? I have been to the Krater comedy club on a regular basis for many years and have yet to hear anyone arguing for wider ownership of the means of production, a stronger role for the state in the redistribution of wealth or limiting the role of the private sector in the provision of public goods (I did see Mark Steele play Haywards Heath once and he was both very very funny and genuinely left wing - but I think he is an exception). I am fairly convinced that George Osborne and David Cameron are genuinely in favour of gay marriage and are not remotely racist but they are, definitley right wing (they are also a lot of other things, but let's not start). So where and how are people drawing the line here?

As said before, comedy takes the piss out of those in power because they are in power - not because they are right wing per se. And those on the economic right have been in power for a VERY long time.

And I think Michael Mcintyre is quite amusing. Am I evil?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
It's a piece in the Express, written by James Delingpole and with a picture of Clarkson.
I find it hard to imagine a combination more likely to cause me to disagree with whatever is written (and having forced myself to read a couple of paragraphs I find I don't actually disagree with it that strongly, if at all, but would still argue against it purely on principle).

On the wider issue I struggle with what kind of definitions people are using for 'right wing'? I have been to the Krater comedy club on a regular basis for many years and have yet to hear anyone arguing for wider ownership of the means of production, a stronger role for the state in the redistribution of wealth or limiting the role of the private sector in the provision of public goods (I did see Mark Steele play Haywards Heath once and he was both very very funny and genuinely left wing - but I think he is an exception). I am fairly convinced that George Osborne and David Cameron are genuinely in favour of gay marriage and are not remotely racist but they are, definitley right wing (they are also a lot of other things, but let's not start). So where and how are people drawing the line here?

As said before, comedy takes the piss out of those in power because they are in power - not because they are right wing per se. And those on the economic right have been in power for a VERY long time.

And I think Michael Mcintyre is quite amusing. Am I evil?

Indeed the BNP have advocated in recent manifestos that they would re-nationalise British industry and set up workers co-operatives, but try telling anyone that the BNP are left wing and you have committed a modern day heresy. Generally people like the certainty of a label to discriminate between good and bad, it's difficult to comprehend that some things can be both. Thatcher is actually a prime example of this kind of polarisation (on both sides) and consequently without thinking about the substance people toddle off to the margins, entrench their views and become bigots.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
That reminds me, Tosh.0 is very good (and very un-PC) on Comedy Channel.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Indeed the BNP have advocated in recent manifestos that they would re-nationalise British industry and set up workers co-operatives, but try telling anyone that the BNP are left wing and you have committed a modern day heresy. Generally people like the certainty of a label to discriminate between good and bad, it's difficult to comprehend that some things can be both. Thatcher is actually a prime example of this kind of polarisation (on both sides) and consequently without thinking about the substance people toddle off to the margins, entrench their views and become bigots.

Spot on. Post of the year.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Economically, there are often a lot of similarities between the parties usually considered of the Far Left and of the Far Right. The key difference is that class and race are seen as the respective basic units of society and dividing lines on which to build the similar looking economic policies.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Economically, there are often a lot of similarities between the parties usually considered of the Far Left and of the Far Right. The key difference is that class and race are seen as the respective basic units of society and dividing lines on which to build the similar looking economic policies.

I dont agree with that.......the BNP's economic model is straight out of the leftist political manual (to give it a label) as they (as are other leftist political parties) are seeking to empower the state and wrest control from the capitalists and monetarists. A basic analysis granted but essentially true.

The key difference in my view between left and right political ideology is all about the power of the state (and or who influences it)........this is the problem that the US have at the moment with gun control, for many US citizens (rightly or wrongly as its their country) it is essentially about the state taking more control........and many people fear that if that happens it would mean less of the "land of the free".

The fact that (in the BNP's case) the state would discriminate between sections of society in my view is still consistent with leftist political principles. Stalin and Mao all did exactly that with the collectivisation of farms. The fact that leftists are perfectly happy to discriminate when it comes to money and class but they are then rabidly swivel eyed that when the same principle is applied race it is ergo right wing political ideology does not make sense.........discrimination is discrimination regardless of the constituency of society.

The ideology of racial superiority, which is more associated with the racial politics of Apartheid and segregation in the States, is not a right wing political ideology......its either rank bigotry, irrational fear or ignorance (or a combination of the 3).

The truth is left and right wing doesn't matter is it is about POWER and MOTIVE. The powerful will typically oppress the weak and whether the opressors are right wing capitalists or left wing statists does not matter a jot..........its like being given the choice to consume a dog turd with cherries or one with pineapple chunks.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I dont agree with that.......the BNP's economic model is straight out of the leftist political manual (to give it a label) as they (as are other leftist political parties) are seeking to empower the state and wrest control from the capitalists and monetarists. A basic analysis granted but essentially true.

The key difference in my view between left and right political ideology is all about the power of the state (and or who influences it)........this is the problem that the US have at the moment with gun control, for many US citizens (rightly or wrongly as its their country) it is essentially about the state taking more control........and many people fear that if that happens it would mean less of the "land of the free".

The fact that (in the BNP's case) the state would discriminate between sections of society in my view is still consistent with leftist political principles. Stalin and Mao all did exactly that with the collectivisation of farms. The fact that leftists are perfectly happy to discriminate when it comes to money and class but they are then rabidly swivel eyed that when the same principle is applied race it is ergo right wing political ideology does not make sense.........discrimination is discrimination regardless of the constituency of society.

The ideology of racial superiority, which is more associated with the racial politics of Apartheid and segregation in the States, is not a right wing political ideology......its either rank bigotry, irrational fear or ignorance (or a combination of the 3).

The truth is left and right wing doesn't matter is it is about POWER and MOTIVE. The powerful will typically oppress the weak and whether the opressors are right wing capitalists or left wing statists does not matter a jot..........its like being given the choice to consume a dog turd with cherries or one with pineapple chunks.

I'm surprised you are saying you disagree with me, because I think my view mainly dovetails with yours. To clarify further, I am fully open to the fact that people who have identified themselves as 'the left' do not have a monopoly on anti-racism. Indeed, there was much racism from the labour movement against immigrants in post-war history set against free market capitalists who were more than happy to hire hard-working immigrants. At the heart of the issue, is the fact that 'left-wing' and 'right-wing' are catch-all labels that do not reveal the tensions in approach at the heart of many social and economic issues. Thatcher was liberal when it came to market economics but illiberal/morally authoritarian on many social issues (with moral authoritarianism triumphing over free market concerns when it came to 'Spy Catcher' and 'video nasties,' for example. But a one nation Tory who is liberal on social issues but sees a role for the state in economics (such as ensuring inequality isn't so great as to cause uprisings or preventing monopolies from developing) can equally be viewed as right-wing.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here