Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where are all the right wing stand-up comedians?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
2 things.
1, He's not right-wing, you're misunderstanding the joke
2, If they're not permitted how are they doing good business all over the country?

1) yes of course its a gag, a parody blah blah..... but 90% (random stat) of his audiences don't see it, so by default he is right of centre in terms of material performed.
2) I mean the mainstream, TV etc.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Nothing funny about Hitler.

Except his moustache and silly trousers.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Maybe because its less hurtful to take the piss out of people who are in some way superior (as in financially, physically etc); if your taking it out of someone who is less able, then it generally comes across as arrogant or cruel and that's just not funny.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Maybe because its less hurtful to take the piss out of people who are in some way superior (as in financially, physically etc); if your taking it out of someone who is less able, then it generally comes across as arrogant or cruel and that's just not funny.

But it is Tory central policy.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This goes back the the late 1600's and the days after the Glorious Revolution whereby the Whigs finally achieved true parliamentary democracy against the then Tories representing landowners interests, the royals, and other hereditary peers etc. The Tories have never been a true party of the 'People' and have always been associated with the establishment - making them fair game for satire and comedy for hundreds of years.

It's no less fashionable to now to have a pop at the Tories than it was back at the start of the 1700's!

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Does that mean you consider Alf Garnett the same way?

And do you honestly believe the audience isn't in on the gag?

He'd be massive on the Golf Club and Masonic lodge circuit if it wasn't a gag. They'd make him leader of The UKIP.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Does that mean you consider Alf Garnett the same way?

And do you honestly believe the audience isn't in on the gag?

To the masses yes, they don't see the joke..... absolutely.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If you aren't dominant in the political sphere, there is a tendency to try to retreat to (or try extra hard to be dominant in) other domains, particularly in culture, almost as a form of compensation. If you feel downtrodden by the government of the day, a joke gives you brief respite when it's you, not them, that are the winners and they the losers.

David Cameron does not need a right-wing stand-up comedian rooting for him on the comedy circuit when he is already in the corridors of power.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
I do have to say that I've been to a few Al Murray gigs and was surprised to see large numbers of Daily Mail types laughing with him rather than at him.

At the last one I went to (at the Dome) there was a row of about 15 of them behind me who kept punctuating their laughter with comments of 'spot on, he's so right about that' as if they were agreeing with every word he said.

They clearly DIDN'T get it, but obviously I haven't researched percentages or anything.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
are we not forgetting the biggest and best right wing comedian died last week

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Bad comedy feeds off lies and hate and good comedy shows you the truth. Maybe that's why there is no room for right wing comedians. Perhaps the fact that right wing policies err more towards care for the individual over care for society as a whole leads you to a point where comedy can't hide that simple fact. I'm not saying right wingers are all evil, I'm just saying they may care about themselves more than others.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Bad comedy feeds off lies and hate and good comedy shows you the truth. Maybe that's why there is no room for right wing comedians. Perhaps the fact that right wing policies err more towards care for the individual over care for society as a whole leads you to a point where comedy can't hide that simple fact. I'm not saying right wingers are all evil, I'm just saying they may care about themselves more than others.

Personally I think that bad comedy is all about right wing stuff is not necessarily so. Comedy is very much for the time. Look at some of the stuff that was funny in the 70's, Alf Garnett, etc. Most people's grandparents and parents still think that the comedy then was of a more gentle humour, very much like Victoria Wood, Dad's Army, It aint half hot mum On the Busses, etc etc. It doesn't mean that this is not funny now, it just means that it is a different style of comedy. Alf garnett and Love Thy Neighbour was a reflection of society at that time of mass immigration from the West Indies and how people dealt with it. It was not regarded as racist as it is now. Would a series like Allo Allo be comissioned now? That poked fun at all racial stereotypes, including the Brits!

Certainly the likes of Not The 9 Oclock News and later more edgy comedy, Ben Elton etc that introduced swearing as a way of getting your point over changed the landscape of comedy, but I still think that the humour of Richard Briers and Morcambe and Wise, Tommy Cooper etc stand the test of time.

It is very interesting reading Rowan Atkinson's issues with modern comedy and how the " I am waiting for and need to be offended" brigade as he puts it have changed the reception of comedy and what is acceptable now.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The left does not understand the right, so they mock them. Because that is what you do when you don't understand something.

The right understands the left, and frankly, it isn't funny.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Neither.

You've admitted to missing the joke, and believed everyone else (alright, 90%) has too. The issues are yours.
Of course I did :nono:, I actually agreed with you,..... joke not missed, try reading again, this time without filling in the blanks with your inbuilt prejudices.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here